The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yeah, the thunderstorm on Thursday night in 2009 was fairly spectacular, but apart from the odd muddy patch in the shade, site held up remarkably well and I remember sitting in grass in the park all afternoon on Friday in lovely sunshine. So, definitely not a certainty that any substantial rain automatically turns the site into a quagmire.

I vaguely remember this and the fact that it is a vague memory means it didn't amount to much. I would have remembered loads of mud 

Just now, Helsbels said:

I vaguely remember this and the fact that it is a vague memory means it didn't amount to much. I would have remembered loads of mud 

It was absolutely torrential. A friend and I sat up in the gazebo all night through it absolutely off our chops. Then when we went to the car to grab a few things in the morning a vicious rumour that Michael Jackson was dead had gotten round.

1 minute ago, Helsbels said:

It absolutely chucked it down Friday morning til about midday, we sought refuge in the cabaret tent where MJ's death dominated topics.  It barely affected the site, sun from midday onwards was glorious.  I don't recall the Thursday thunderstorm having any affect on ground conditions at all, I was out all night in trash city.

39 minutes ago, Spindles said:

It absolutely chucked it down Friday morning til about midday, we sought refuge in the cabaret tent where MJ's death dominated topics.  It barely affected the site, sun from midday onwards was glorious.  I don't recall the Thursday thunderstorm having any affect on ground conditions at all, I was out all night in trash city.

Oh it was that one...I remember waking up to the Michael Jackson news. Maybe I was in bed when it rained. Pretty sure I had been up all night on the Wednesday beforehand 

Just now, Little Andy said:

What if it's raining when we arrive? Surely putting up a tent in the rain is gonna get everything wet!

Depends on the tent and your methods.

If it's an inner pitch first it can be a bit of a nightmare. But if it's an outer pitch first, then just pitch it at home, in the dry, add in the bedroom(s) and pack it away as one. 

You gotta keep all your bags and stuff dry whilst walking from the car parks, queuing and erecting the tent though, that's the challenge... Bin bags, dry sacs, whatever. 

2 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

What if it's raining when we arrive? Surely putting up a tent in the rain is gonna get everything wet!

Waterproof cover for your big bag. Chuck it inside your pop up tent as soon as it’s up, and peg the tent down quickly. In you pop, find that cider, and bob’s your uncle. 

35 minutes ago, Helsbels said:

Oh it was that one...I remember waking up to the Michael Jackson news. Maybe I was in bed when it rained. Pretty sure I had been up all night on the Wednesday beforehand 

Could have been worse. Someone told me Colin Jackson was dead.

Couldn't handle the anxiety any longer, so drove two hours to the house of someone a friend told me makes cheese. I banged on his door and asked him what the forecast was - he told me it was eleven o-clock and he was sleeping. As was his wife. Then threatened to call the police.

Sitting in my car now before the long drive home, none the wiser. I don't know what I did wrong! I buried his sausage dog and everything!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Rabocse said:

If we can keep getting these small corrections on each run things will improve

It will improve anyway... I swear we've had these odd two days of drama in the charts at the end of the week before for the last 2 years... Then it all comes good at the weekend. 🙂 

Maybe the wobble was a little earlier than this last year, can't really remember, but there definitely was a wobble, and we were still expecting 'some' rain right up until we departed. Only rain I saw all week was from the van, on the road, on Wednesday, sweated my knackers off the rest of the weekend... It'll be fine. 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

It will improve anyway... I swear we've had these odd two days of drama in the charts at the end of the week before for the last 2 years... Then it all comes good at the weekend. 🙂 

Maybe the wobble was a little earlier than this last year, can't really remember, but there definitely was a wobble, and we were still expecting 'some' rain right up until we departed. Only rain I saw all week was from the van, on the road, on Wednesday, sweated my knackers off the rest of the weekend... It'll be fine. 🙂 

It certainly was a hot one! I agree. Whatever happens it’ll be a blast. 

7 minutes ago, Drew3232 said:

Couldn't handle the anxiety any longer, so drove two hours to the house of someone a friend told me makes cheese. I banged on his door and asked him what the forecast was - he told me it was eleven o-clock and he was sleeping. As was his wife. Then threatened to call the police.

Sitting in my car now before the long drive home, none the wiser. I don't know what I did wrong! I buried his sausage dog and everything!

🤣 oh well, try again tomorrow hey