The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Let's see if there's any good news this morning! The 00Z has rolled...

THROUGH TO GATES OPEN

Small amount of rain in the early hours and then dry until Wednesday. Good news!

GATES OPEN & WEDNESDAY

Dry when gates op, temps of 19-20, but the rain is going to move up.

image.thumb.png.4638f0f99e1c8d05a5fa77f67f08853c.png

Torrential rain through Wednesday, highs of 20-22. Awful.

Overnight temps into Thursday of 15-16.

image.thumb.png.9be80fe0ed137af77562043bf1f18959.png

The low is pressure picture is worse, but can it fight back? Latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.63ac23a3b06169522e76c4b2fed14012.png

THURSDAY

Dry, rain misses, highs of just 17. Useless for drying Wednesday's rain.

Overnight into Friday, 13-14.

image.thumb.png.fe505bc5461c7edb70151372af6e748a.png

Similar pressure picture to the 18Z. Latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.45735c305164b6a59bb15fedf51d3e02.png

FRIDAY

Completely dry, temps recover to 20-21.

Overnight into Saturday, 13-14.

image.thumb.png.8d9a9d9a7549ae87575163466fb5c012.png

Definitely a better pressure picture on Friday, allowing the heat to build 3 degrees in better. Latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.9f8cb40bedd5609dc7381a2ba7b3858e.png

SATURDAY

Completely dry, highs of 19-20.

Overnight into Sunday, 12-13.

image.thumb.png.97323a6068af829a62684ed63aeae508.png

A little better, but we need MORE. Latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.8cbf7b41bb98f8a231f393a8ebd44f17.png

SUNDAY

Completely dry, highs of 18.

Overnight into Monday, 9-10.

image.thumb.png.ad90c11302c3249fff33a101ede12f03.png

Not quite as good by Sunday, hence the drop back in the temperatures. Latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.17ea4dc372332b8bbdcbcd0661769826.png

SUMMARY

The rain on the Wednesday would be horrible and would definitely lead to a big churn up of the site, and it would be hard work for a couple of days until the temperatures recover.

The rest of the run is another improvement, with high pressure fighting back -- which shows it's all still to play for.

Can we lose that Wednesday rain and see the high show its strength in the 06Z? See you soon...

Looks like we need to move Glasto to Norway!

22 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Mad isn't it, remember Wednesday we had two saying hot and dry throughout the festival.

Now it's moving towards a broad agreement of wet at times, cloudy and cool.

With potential of some longer periods of downpours. 

Think it's certainly confirmed as walking boots and jackets. 

It’s the reverse 2019. Still remember the high of all the runs suddenly switching and aligning at this point to warm and dry. Looks like we have debt to repay. 

5 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Over the past few pages, I've seen a few mentions of the fabled 'improved drainage' popping up again.  If you think there's some kind of magic technology that will stop a heavily-rained-on field turning to mud when cows or human trample it, you can nip out into your back garden or the local park with a bucket of water and do a thought-experiment, i.e. what magic technology would I need to install to make this very wet piece of ground turning to mud when trampled?  And have I see such magic technology installed on the fields of Glastonbury?

The 'improved drainage' is just an attempt to move standing water away from a few specific low-points on the site, e.g. the bottom of Pennards.  It won't prevent a mudbath in the event of heavy rain, and was never intended to.  Bring boots/wellies if you think that's what we're getting.

Tarmac the whole site!

23 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Think it's certainly confirmed as walking boots and jackets. 

Still too early to know that for sure...

Too much spread on temperature from the 25th and same with precipatation. 

t2mSomerset.png.cd8cfc90b48dd75a389d40e100378817.png221483707_prcpSomerset(1).webp.d5398b4afa2cdb9e3cd0f0867a0a85f0.webp

1 minute ago, rlandy95 said:

Still too early to know that for sure...

Too much spread on temperature from the 25th and same with precipatation. 

t2mSomerset.png.cd8cfc90b48dd75a389d40e100378817.png221483707_prcpSomerset(1).webp.d5398b4afa2cdb9e3cd0f0867a0a85f0.webp

The Mean and Operational rainfall totals aren’t that bad still. Are there rainfall ensembles from ECM? We’re getting to stage where GFS is less important. 

The low that is now possible for Weds early looks like it will be  similar to the low later today - fragmented and breaking up as it moves in. All the forecasts and charts I have seen suggest not much rain......................................

Until they change but certainly not awful from what I am looking at.

If that Wednesday overnight rain could f**k off, I'd be ok with this. 

I feel like 2017 was similarly cool, and it was pretty much ideal. Wednesday was a scorcher, but the rest of the festival I was in shorts and a sweatshirt and pretty content with that.

Edited by LinvoyPrimus

We bought new waterproof hiking boots at the weekend and have next day delivery ready for wellies should the Monday forecasts suggest it.

Light showers don't bother me, but enough rain that the ground is a mess does. Can't do much about it though, it's gonna be what it's gonna be.

4 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

This is the latest Met O.  The thundery low extending up across the country bringing the risk of heavy thundery showers…

image.png.f24599c4af71f8650ada4e09f3c4de8e.png

Be great to see the extended run...I feel like although this scenario threatens initial thundery showers it may just die off leaving us with fairly warm settled conditions. Thursday met office computerised output showing light shower risk and low 20s on Thursday - but by evening its Sunny again.

2 minutes ago, eatingglitter said:

I've got two pairs of waterproof walking boots, waterproof trousers, waterproof poncho, waterproof rain jacket...

Do I add one more offering to the rain gods and order some decent wellies as well? 

It’s gone past wellies being sufficient sacrifice now. Waders and a full dry suit required now. 

6 minutes ago, GordonMcG said:

We bought new waterproof hiking boots at the weekend and have next day delivery ready for wellies should the Monday forecasts suggest it.

Light showers don't bother me, but enough rain that the ground is a mess does. Can't do much about it though, it's gonna be what it's gonna be.

Don't get wellies WHATEVER. Gaiters, if you're worried.

• Like 1