The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

10 minutes ago, Wurzelcat said:

Ive just been reading from this time last year (ie the Friday before) and it looked far worse, but turned out alright in the end.

That's not entirely true - equivalent day last year (Friday before) was 16th June, and while there was some disagreement the GFS and ECM were showing nothing more than occasional showers and high pressure building Fri-Sun. Generally more rain in the mix this year and more divergence in the models. 

1 hour ago, ibilly99 said:

What is a realistic best case scenario - there will be some rain , it won't be biblical and the site will shake it off ? Is there a 50/50 for that ?

Realistic best case scenario is that over the next few days we see the volume and frequency of predicted rain diminish on the forecasts, until there's just a couple of narrow periods where we get brief light showers on maybe Wednesday and Friday, with an average peak temp of 22c and overnight temps in the low teens.

1 hour ago, eatingglitter said:

Tbh I know this, literally inside and out the evils of wellies. I've seen the welly burns of my colleagues back in 2007... but I still panic about whether I need them. LOL

Absolutely. Still debate getting a pair. 😄😄😄

2 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Realistic best case scenario is that over the next few days we see the volume and frequency of predicted rain diminish on the forecasts, until there's just a couple of narrow periods where we get brief light showers on maybe Wednesday and Friday, with an average peak temp of 22c and overnight temps in the low teens.

Spindles knows something, I can tell!

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Gossip actually attracting a crowd bigger than a couple of dozen people because it's snowing outside

I'd rather have trench foot.

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Absolutely. Still debate getting a pair. 😄😄😄

We bought memory foam insoles for our wellies. Adds a bit of comfort to them. Always thought to put a strip of that adhesive draught insulation that used to be put on  door frames round the welly tops to prevent rubbing on legs. Might be a bit extreme😉😊

Wellies (though obvs I prefer hiking boots in 80% of conditions) are fine if you follow a couple of rules - get some decent hiking insoles, wear two pairs of socks, and make the outer sock a pair of footy socks - fold them over the top of the wellie and you won’t have the burny rubbing problem that the thicker calved of us can suffer from. 
(personally I like Dundee United socks for my black wellies, but only cos they’re just the right shade of orange - not for any kind of footballing loyalty, I’m a Clachnacuddin man north of the border) 

edit; and take em off whenever you get a chance. Air those tootsies! 

Edited by balti-pie

Right then, let's see if ol' Grotbags stays in Greenland.

We now know that it's going to be glorious summer until Tuesday, so now we'll go into the festival direct.

GATES OPEN & WEDNESDAY

There is still rain around, but the worst of it pushes to the west and through poor Northern Ireland. 17-18.

Temps overnight into Thursday of 11-12.

image.thumb.png.89a749f1b04fc97b3150fa716d8394be.png

Showers in the morning, rain then clears in the afternoon (hits further north again) and with temps of 20-21 we'll get some good drying in.

image.thumb.png.d37f9d10e8de33a77d06c285ee264993.png

Very similar pressure picture, maybe marginally better. Latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.30cdedd203d94c5a05c418a2fb4b5220.png

THURSDAY

While Wednesday was an improvement, Thursday is a small downgrade.

There's rain showing in the afternoon, though 2mm isn't much. Highs of 18-19 is up on the last run.

Temps overnight into Friday of 14.

image.thumb.png.a841937bf1204be191474ba70ac5a77a.png

Pressure is in a similar position but hmm, Grotbags is getting bigger... Latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.9c68c8006148d432381a0e460254caaa.png

FRIDAY

Completely dry with highs of 19-20. Nice!

image.thumb.png.772c7001cd1e108cfe6c3a52a1b9edd4.png

Temps overnight into Saturday of 13-14.

Grotbags is growing but ... so far fails to build into the UK. Gulp.

image.thumb.png.577ca51e1d932036a579717f754232ee.png

SATURDAY

Completely dry, highs of 18.

Temps overnight into Sunday of 13.

image.thumb.png.ff41f8231cf9a958b640329be9b0b8e3.png

Very different appearance in the latest run, on the right, with Grotbags moving to Greenland but the high pressure just cannot build in.

image.thumb.png.4259eaa20782a6db25620a5a511cf425.png

SUNDAY

Totally dry, rain missing to the north. Highs up to 20-21.

Temps overnight into Monday of 14.

image.thumb.png.59e95ec1037ee8ddfafbdb81ef9f9f0f.png

Pressure remains static, but as you can see from the rain in the north we're in danger of it pushing down.

image.thumb.png.a589ef4edfeadecbe45240e6bd331344.png

SUMMARY

Signs of promise, with a much better picture for Wednesday. Thursday might have some rain, but it's not that bad.

Still total uncertainly about what will happen from Friday onwards, as seen by the totally different pressure pictures on Saturday - and where the rain is on Sunday.

Remains a bit chilly on this one Fri and Sat though.

You wanted hope? You got hope!!

• Thanks 10

Biggest question for me currently is what the weather’s doing during gate opening. Will it rain on the overnight queue crew? If so, I’ll arrive Wednesday pm when it’ll hopefully be drier. I may well make the call overnight Wednesday morning! Knife. Edge.