The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

remember walking from other stage to the railway track and it being so f**king difficult. that walk should take .... 1min tops? it took 10mins. especially the slope going up. f**king hell. 

Edited by TiZuff

1 minute ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

I still think one of the enduring Glastonbury myths is that 2008 ticket sales were slow because of Jay-Z and Emily 'rebooting the festival'. I went with a group of about 35 in 2007, and it was so awful only four of us returned in 2008. 

Took me 5 years and a campervan to return after 1997.

10 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Unless im wide of the mark did it not "largely dry out" by Sunday in '11? The Sunday in 2016 was awful.

Yeah was mud crackingly dry by Sunday in 2011 but we all got pissed on arriving and setting up. It was a mudbath in places and the rain ruined Friday and Friday night. Remember eating curry chips after U2 and after 30 seconds it was a rain curry.

I dont remember any heavy rain in 2016 when the music was on anyway.

Ill take a muddy fest with no rain over a fest with torrential rain on arrival and during the headliners any day. 

7 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

I still think one of the enduring Glastonbury myths is that 2008 ticket sales were slow because of Jay-Z and Emily 'rebooting the festival'. I went with a group of about 35 in 2007, and it was so awful only four of us returned in 2008. 

Yes similar in our group. I went to Rock Am Ring instead. 

The 08 lineup was a complete binfire mind you.

Edited by The Nal

12 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Yeah it was definitely trainer weather on Sunday 2011, when Paul Simon was on it was scorching! 

Sun came out for Friendly Fires on the Saturday afternoon and it stayed out.

2011 had a tough first half but everyone was in trainers on the Sunday.

Just now, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

I have a vivid memory of huddling against the Garlic Guzzler van in 2007 in absolutely lashing sideways rain while The Automatic played Monster or some such sh*t and thinking 'I'd rather be at work'.

That made me LOL

The fact you had to say the only Automatic song anybodys ever heard too. 

3 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Funny that the last rainy glastonbury's were 2016 and 2011. I blame Coldplay

Those two particularly bad but both '14 and '15 were "muddy" years.

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Good chance this year is like 2015. Blazing sunshine to start, thundery breakdown that's enough to ruin the site early on, then showers stopping it fully drying out across the weekend. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah, 97 was something else...and I really didn't have the right clothes for it too. 

Returned the next year and it was just as bad. Left Saturday morning.

I don't reckon there was more than 40,000 onsite come Saturday in 98. The Friday evening rain and flooding was brutal. 

18 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah was mud crackingly dry by Sunday in 2011 but we all got pissed on arriving and setting up. It was a mudbath in places and the rain ruined Friday and Friday night. Remember eating curry chips after U2 and after 30 seconds it was a rain curry.

I dont remember any heavy rain in 2016 when the music was on anyway.

Ill take a muddy fest with no rain over a fest with torrential rain on arrival and during the headliners any day. 

Yes similar in our group. I went to Rock Am Ring instead. 

The 08 lineup was a complete binfire mind you.

Yep, we went to rock Werchter instead...R.E.M., Radiohead and Neil Young...nuff said. 

My very first memory of Glastonbury in person is meeting people covered in mud going opposite direction at Gate B as we were dropped off from the Castle Cary coach on the Thursday afternoon in 1997. Round 6pm. Genuinely expected that the level of mud people were caked in was down acting the goat or being pushed into it by their mates messing.

But it wasnt. It was everyone else too.

12 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

'14 was definitely a muddy one. Only time my wife has come with me. Weekend in the Monart with the girls is her chosen alternative as a result! 😁

Sundays...

I've gone every year since 1998 and I must be forgetting some years but I can only think of 2 years (1998 and 2015) where you couldn't sit on the grass/ dried mud half way up Pyramid Sunday afternoon for the legend slot times...

It's higher up there, long grass and seems to dry up fast.

4 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Sundays...

I've gone every year since 1998 and I must be forgetting some years but I can only think of 2 years (1998 and 2015) where you couldn't sit on the grass/ dried mud half way up Pyramid Sunday afternoon for the legend slot times...

It's higher up there, long grass and seems to dry up fast.

2016 i watched ELO under a brolly mate.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Iphigenia said:

The weather is looking great, to be honest. Nice bit of cloud for respite from the sun, only light rain. I'd settle for this forecast so far.

Where you looking? Our gurus on here, thinking much heavier rain sadly. 

Wednesday 26 Jun - Friday 5 Jul

Probably warm across the south especially at first. However, there is quite a large amount of uncertainty in how long this warm, settled weather will persist over the UK and it now seems very likely that that conditions will transition back closer to average towards the end of next week. This transition brings with it the risk of some showers or longer periods of rain from as early as next Wednesday, and potentially some thunderstorms too, particularly in the south but with many areas at risk. these more unsettled conditions could last through to the end of next week. However, the remainder of the period is more likely to be settled, especially across southern areas with temperatures slightly above average.

Latest Met Office update now saying very likely that conditions will transition back from this warm weather, so el scorchio looks to be unlikely now. However they're now looking out to Thursday next week and reckon Wed/Thur are going to be pretty dry with a pretty low risk of rain.

24 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Good chance this year is like 2015. Blazing sunshine to start, thundery breakdown that's enough to ruin the site early on, then showers stopping it fully drying out across the weekend. 

I had no idea 2015 was a muddy year.  It's the only one I've missed since 2002 and it looked fine on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

2016 i watched ELO under a brolly mate.

During that set I perfected my wet weather setup. Sat on a folding chair with a poncho and a peaked cap. Perfectly comfy and dry. Thought ELO were sh*t though.