The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

7 minutes ago, LeFreak said:

How much rain would we need for the ground to churn up pretty badly? It's going to be wet at points, I can get over that. But spending 5 days trudging around in the muck will be harder to accept.. 

more than 25mm in a 24hr period would be my concern level; anything less than that should be fine, and anything more would have me prepping the wellies from the back of the car. Either way though it’s crack on.
Bearded had 70mm of rain in about 36hrs! 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyUtah24 said:

True, me and Coldplay there is too powerful a force even for the sun

I can only apologise guys 

To be fair, one of mates has come with us 3 times. '07, '11 and '16. He's yet to see solid ground on the farm!

• Upvote 1

Just been checking "The Weather Thread 2023" - can confirm I'll be clocking off this thread haha. Unless 2023 was actually really wet (I wasn't there), essentially none of these predictions are relevant even until the Tues/Weds of the festival. This is to say that rain was forecast all of Sat/Sun then on the Tuesday etc. So seems like a good idea to pack for all occasions 🙂 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Trying to recall a recent year when - 5 days out - we were locked in for a good forecast with a settled unshifting and persistent high guaranteeing good weather.  I just can't recall one recently.

Don't even recall it being a cert in 2010 to be honest. 

4 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

He's the only person predicting it'll be nice so let's hope he's right.

let’s remember that neither he nor anyone on this thread is ‘predicting’ anything - we’re chewing over the individual outputs of computer models, and none of us are remotely qualified to make head or tails of them or put them in their proper context. Nobody has the resources or credentials to actually forecast anything 

Edited by behindthebunhouse

Just now, behindthebunhouse said:

let’s remember that he nor anyone on this thread is ‘predicting’ anything - we’re chewing over the individual outputs of computer models, and none of us are remotely qualified to make head or tails of them or put them in their proper context. 

It's a bit like predicting that France and England are Euro favourites based on stats and players when you have Spain coming in and playing some beautiful football.

I may have been moved to post this after being bored to tears watching the first half of the France vs. Netherlands game...

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Suspect if you looked at the Weather Thread from that year it would be full of pictures of scantily clad French and German women for reasons I can't quite recall.

now have a vague recollection of a range of different things that were supposed to mean something alright!

I did the Ride London bike ride 3 weeks ago. 

The forecast was for rain all through it the week before. 

The forecast was for rain all through it the night before. 

It rained in the early hours, and then ended up glorious sunshine (other than a 5 minute torrential downpour) for most of the ride. 

I lived close to the start so could see when I set off it looked more positive. Most people were layered up and must have been sweating their tits off.

The rain all went to the Midlands and the North 

The lesson: it's never over til it's over.

Edited by briddj

Just now, Glasto96 said:

On the up side, iPhone weathers looking promising 🤨🙄

IMG_2397.png

I don't trust the Apple app as far as I could throw it from atop an apple tree. They promised me beautiful and bright hot days on the first two days of my Greece holiday last month and we got rain and clouds in the morning.

I’m leaving tuesday from Belgium. If it seems by then we’ll have lots of rain: should I buy bring wellies in my lugage, or can I by them at the festival? I think In can remember that I bought a pair on site in 2014.

6 minutes ago, behindthebunhouse said:

let’s remember that he nor anyone on this thread is ‘predicting’ anything - we’re chewing over the individual outputs of computer models, and none of us are remotely qualified to make head or tails of them or put them in their proper context. 

I think you'll find that looking at Netweather charts for two weeks in 4 years out of every 5 makes me an expert.

Edited by briddj
  • Upvote 2

Just now, RutgerGM said:

I’m leaving tuesday from Belgium. If it seems by then we’ll have lots of rain: should I buy bring wellies in my lugage, or can I by them at the festival? I think In can remember that I bought a pair on site in 2014.

You can buy them there but expect the vendors to put a hefty mark up on the prices if it's raining.

1 minute ago, briddj said:

I did the Ride London bike ride 3 weeks ago. 

The forecast was for rain all through it the week before. 

The forecast was for rain all through it the night before. 

It rained in the early hours, and then ended up glorious sunshine (other than a 5 minute torrential downpour) for most of the ride. 

I lived close to the start so could see when I set off it looked more positive. Most people were layered up and just have been sweating their tits off.

The rain all went to the Midlands and the North 

The lesson: it's never over til it's over.

Even last year everyone was expecting the Sunday to be a shitshow right up until it wasn't.  A few spots of rain for Cat Stevens and that was about it.

1 minute ago, RutgerGM said:

If you have walking boots just bring those.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even last year everyone was expecting the Sunday to be a shitshow right up until it wasn't.  A few spots of rain for Cat Stevens and that was about it.

I remember napping outside Woodsies and being rudely awoken by a dot of rain. It threw me off. I had to go and have a pint to calm down. Looks like I'll be having pints to make me forget this year.