The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even last year everyone was expecting the Sunday to be a shitshow right up until it wasn't.  A few spots of rain for Cat Stevens and that was about it.

It rained during Cat Stevens? I swear it was absolutely scorchio the whole day. Funny how you remember things 

1 minute ago, Jinglebells said:

Why is the ecm 12z f**king with us for Friday daytime. Band of low pressure over Ireland… but just sticking the finger up to just cover that tiny bit of Somerset too for good measure…

IMG_3154.jpeg

You can't not laugh at that hahaha.

3 minutes ago, Jinglebells said:

Why is the ecm 12z f**king with us for Friday daytime. Band of low pressure over Ireland… but just sticking the finger up to just cover that tiny bit of Somerset too for good measure…

IMG_3154.jpeg

I thought this was pretty hilarious too... Total Accumulated rainfall between now and the end of the festival on Today's 12z

image.png.3f736fe9903047af9ef6a56b8dc6366f.png

I mean, obviously it's not accurate enough to predict that, even closer to the time, never mind this far out... But it did make me laugh... 

11 minutes ago, Flighty Zoo said:

I don't trust the Apple app as far as I could throw it from atop an apple tree. They promised me beautiful and bright hot days on the first two days of my Greece holiday last month and we got rain and clouds in the morning.

Depends on where you are, but Apple Weather uses the forecast from Met Office. It has a link at the bottom of the app which says where they get their weather reports from in each country. Met office only goes up to Thursday so I assume they use supplementary data for the following days from somewhere. But I've honestly never had an issue with it in London, it'll even give a notification about 15 minutes before it rains and 9/10 it always rains within 15 minutes. 

(Also just checked, Greece is supplied by the ECMWF for Apple Weather)

7 minutes ago, Jinglebells said:

IMG_3154.jpeg

At least they’re using a condom to f**k us with 

• Upvote 1

Just now, rlandy95 said:

Depends on where you are, but Apple Weather uses the forecast from Met Office. It has a link at the bottom of the app which says where they get their weather reports from in each country. Met office only goes up to Thursday so I assume they use supplementary data for the following days from somewhere. But I've honestly never had an issue with it in London, it'll even give a notification about 15 minutes before it rains and 9/10 it always rains within 15 minutes. 

It was superb in Florida... Right down to lightning strikes, timings, rain starting and stopping... 

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Again, with a month's worth of rain on Weds AM (as in the 12Z per the reference) that river would be back!

Maybe a month's rain - only has to be off North East by 30 miles and we miss it.

4 minutes ago, rlandy95 said:

Ah, isn't the rain forecast supplied by the technology used by what is now the defunct Dark Sky app that Apple bought? As I used to have that on my phone as it was extremely accurate (London resident too) and don't think it relied on the Met Office?

Edited by Flighty Zoo

Just now, Skip997 said:

Been raining on site for an hour or so 

Heavily? A minor sprinkling here in Frome, although the state of the clouds threaten something heavier. As it is, this is nice dust-down weather. 

4 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Or even.... Sharknado!

I shall disappear up to the Stone Circle in the midst of a deluge and come back like Gandalf the White riding down to the Pyramid astride two whales who will each have a twix between their teeth.

Edited by Flighty Zoo
  • Upvote 1