The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

My dad's a retired Meteorologist (for both the Met Office and RAF). And used to be in a pub quiz team with Michael Fish.

I haven't believed a word he or any weather forecaster has said since I went to lunch maybe a decade ago and said "that Nigel Farage seems like a nice guy doesn't he?"

Ruined all weather forecasts for me.

So blind optimism from then onwards.

Edited by Gutterflower

Just now, Gutterflower said:

My dad's a retired Meteorologist (for both the Met Office and RAF). And used to be in a pub quiz team with Michael Fish.

I haven't believed a word he or any weather forecaster has said since I went to lunch maybe a decade ago and said "that Nigel Farage seems like a nice guy first he?"

Ruined all weather forecasts for me.

So blind optimism from then onwards.

This is just in: Sunak says in a bid to secure the youth vote that he will FIX the weather for the next five years. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Flighty Zoo said:

Ah, isn't the rain forecast supplied by the technology used by what is now the defunct Dark Sky app that Apple bought? As I used to have that on my phone as it was extremely accurate (London resident too) and don't think it relied on the Met Office?

I mean I know they acquired Dark Sky, but as far as I'm aware that was Apple just doing what it usually does to snap up smaller companies to aquire trademarks. May have been something to do with the hour-rain forecasts being trademarked by Dark Sky - but everything on their site points towards using national weather agencies for forecasting and reporting. 

IMG_2059.thumb.PNG.cd0792c23e6ddc18698aa5a050ce6a4f.PNGIMG_2058.thumb.PNG.886cba8c136e5437699993b445c2beb5.PNG

Edited by rlandy95

1 minute ago, ibilly99 said:

Glastonbury Standard Version Bible

Gospel of St Michael
And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?” Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.

Easy for him to say when he can piss off up to his house by driving home in his 4x4. 

33 minutes ago, RutgerGM said:

I’m leaving tuesday from Belgium. If it seems by then we’ll have lots of rain: should I buy bring wellies in my lugage, or can I by them at the festival? I think In can remember that I bought a pair on site in 2014.

you could wear them over. save on luggage space that way

1 minute ago, Flighty Zoo said:

Easy for him to say when he can piss off up to his house by driving home in his 4x4. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6woaSJTMFU

3 minutes ago, Flighty Zoo said:

But he did fix the drainage in the lower fields and develped the long drop Mk 1V with a 20,000 gallons capacity requiring only one emptying in the festival.Get thee behind me Stan  Ted !

2 minutes ago, Joey Peeps said:

Where we at?

Most if not all runs since Weds night have gone for a much cooler and wetter picture.

Today we've moved towards more consistent heavy rain also.

It's not over but there's a genuinely rainier and colder pattern baked in now.

Just been reading up about this AI model called GraphCast which (from my understanding) is open source software provided by Google and is currently in use by the ECMWF.

https://deepmind.google/discover/blog/graphcast-ai-model-for-faster-and-more-accurate-global-weather-forecasting/

You can also view it on ECMWF https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/graphcast_medium-mslp-wind850?base_time=202406211200&projection=opencharts_europe&valid_time=202406250000

Interestingly this model does bring the low in but with more of a definite N/S split, probably bringing in humid and possibly thundery conditions on the Thursday, however, a beautiful ridge of high pressure coming up from the Azores for Friday & the weekend. 

Just figured it was another interesting model to be considered! 

Edited by rlandy95
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, rlandy95 said:

Just been reading up about this AI model called GraphCast which (from my understanding) is open source software provided by Google and is currently in use by the ECMWF.

https://deepmind.google/discover/blog/graphcast-ai-model-for-faster-and-more-accurate-global-weather-forecasting/

You can also view it on ECMWF https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/graphcast_medium-mslp-wind850?base_time=202406211200&projection=opencharts_europe&valid_time=202406250000

Interestingly this model does bring the low in but with more of a definite N/S split, probably bringing in humid and possibly thundery conditions on the Thursday, however, a beautiful ridge of high pressure coming up from the Azores for Friday & the weekend. 

Just figured it was another interesting model to be considered! 

Much much better

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Been raining on site for an hour or so 

So the Apple weather App is spot on, and if so you’ve got all the drying out material coming your way tomorrow ☀️

IMG_6073.png

Edited by Traci