The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

37 minutes ago, Mcbatesman said:

That pack of Lidl premium sausages I buried at the bottom of the garden seems to be paying off

If it was Waitrose sausages we’d have a hot Sunday too. 

22 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Packing as well, leaving tomorrow morning. Wellies, boots and trainers all packed in car, same goes for t shirts, fleeces, rain wear, ponchos. Only certainty is that shorts will be worn no matter what the weather,

but things are looking trainers for most days🤞

Why not a kilt?

1 minute ago, Jacko45 said:

What did countryfile say?

Countryfile is two runs behind when it's broadcast.

They record on a Sunday morning and it's broadcast on the evening. So, with this much uncertainty, it will be well out if date by tonight.

No one should put stock in Countryfile for Glasto.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nope

We've got GEM, UKMO, ICON, AIFS & ECM all saying drier patterns! 😂 I would say thats a vibe, its only GFS throwing a wobble (as per usual) at the moment. 

I wouldn't pay much attention to the Countryfile forecast. Since 2018 it's been delivered (like the rest of BBC weather) by MeteoGroup who pretty much exclusively use the ECMWF.

Prior to that it was a proper human written multi model forecast written by the meteorologists at the Met Office and was very good. Now its just one model, one time.

That forecast from countryfile pretty much became the 10 day trend the Met put on YouTube so it's still there. And, as a special treat, I believe early this week the Met Office are doing a specific Glastonbury Forecast. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Its not going to be a repeat of 2016, and I did that with walking boots whilst my friends in wellies all lost them at various points.

And if download was anything to go by, your friends were slipping and sliding much more than you, often falling on their arse whilst you, in walking boots designed for walking around in mud, were getting around just fine? 

They just need to be good quality, very waterproof, walking boots. 

I shall be on site from tomorrow so will be sending live weather reports from the fields, wearing my Michael Fish outfit. And maybe even photos of the sky, if you’re very lucky.  But no photos of anything else, or I will be summarily booted off site…

image.thumb.jpeg.14e79938f6928ec822f68f333a947766.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Alvoram said:

And if download was anything to go by, your friends were slipping and sliding much more than you, often falling on their arse whilst you, in walking boots designed for walking around in mud, were getting around just fine? 

They just need to be good quality, very waterproof, walking boots. 

Yup. Exactly.

Never taken wellies to Glastonbury; don't foresee a situation where I'd ever have to. Walking boots just cope way better in mud.

That said, I take the walking boots regardless of forecast and they have taken up more than their share of room in my bag to no useful end for the last 7 years. But long may that continue.

38 minutes ago, briddj said:

Countryfile is two runs behind when it's broadcast.

They record on a Sunday morning and it's broadcast on the evening. So, with this much uncertainty, it will be well out if date by tonight.

No one should put stock in Countryfile for Glasto.

Not like the good old days. I still remember the creeping horror of watching John Craven suggest there could be major thundery downpours in 2005 following several days of positive forecasts. Obviously five days later we were all in canoes. 

9 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

I shall be on site from tomorrow so will be sending live weather reports from the fields, wearing my Michael Fish outfit. And maybe even photos of the sky, if you’re very lucky.  But no photos of anything else, or I will be summarily booted off site…

image.thumb.jpeg.14e79938f6928ec822f68f333a947766.jpeg

Love the jumper!

Edited by gherkin8r

17 minutes ago, Flighty Zoo said:

Fair to say that no matter what happens now there will still be teenagers roaming the fields of Avalon in nothing but shorts and a bucket hat even as it showers?

They’ll be pensioners roaming the fields of Avalon in shorts and a bucket hat😉😊

I'm telling you all again, 2022 repeat (I hope)! Feel it deep within my bones 😅 temp wise its almost exact. I even vividly remember it showering at Arlo Parks for little bit on the Friday at 18:00 and it made absolutely no difference to the ground at all. 

2022 - Historical

528678542_Screenshot2024-06-23at00_12_50.thumb.png.ead0fae51711ddab9f0b45a7cdc31948.png

2024 - Current

1065927228_Screenshot2024-06-23at10_42_41.png.1b216fbf238da857afa3355ebf443ec5.png