The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

Just now, prestonmanc said:

We definitely need some rain over the next 18 days to avoid a dust bowl and soften the ground. Just a question of how much and when…

We’ll get some too. Around a week from now there’s some heavy showers forecast that seem to have been a lock for the last few days. Just hope that’s it. 🤞

2016 was my first year, and it still managed to get me hooked into coming back every year.

While it was hard work, I do remember being struck by how much camaraderie there was amongst all the punters. Helping hands, words of encouragment, even one random guy who gave me a bag of weed on the Sunday night because he was going home and I'd run out - everyone was genuinely in it together and making the most of what we could.

Edited by ironmike8
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ironmike8 said:

2016 was my first year, and it still managed to get me hooked into coming back every year.

While it was hard work, I do remember being struck by how much camaraderie there was amongst all the punters. Helping hands, words of encouragment, even one random guy who gave me a bag of weed on the Sunday night because he was going home and I'd run out - everyone was genuinely in it together and making the most of what we could.

Same here! Honestly I'd take 2016 weather (minus the mud) in a heartbeat. From what I remember it was warm enough, rain was usually a drizzle as opposed to a downpour - far more to my taste than the heatwave of the last couple years. Being a bit chilly and damp I can live with, but it hitting 27+ degrees just saps your energy so quick and makes it harder to get to a nice level of tipsy.

32 minutes ago, Spindles said:

My money's on 2008 conditions, generally overcast with sunny spells, few light showers here and there and you still come home with a tan.

Unacceptable 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prestonmanc said:

We definitely need some rain over the next 18 days to avoid a dust bowl and soften the ground. Just a question of how much and when…

This is a myth. And a dangerous one that needs to be stamped out.

If it's dry enough to sit down, then with 400k+ feet on the ground then you're getting dust and lots of it. This has been demonstrated time and time again.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

My money's on 2008 conditions, generally overcast with sunny spells, few light showers here and there and you still come home with a tan.

This. I'm thinking 2008, not 2016. There will be muddy wet days that will dry up quickly in between with wind / sunny intervals and at least some chance of sitting down for a beer at some point on the ground.

1 hour ago, oakdown said:

Same here! Honestly I'd take 2016 weather (minus the mud) in a heartbeat. From what I remember it was warm enough, rain was usually a drizzle as opposed to a downpour - far more to my taste than the heatwave of the last couple years. Being a bit chilly and damp I can live with, but it hitting 27+ degrees just saps your energy so quick and makes it harder to get to a nice level of tipsy.

I don't recall 2016 being that bad honestly, just a bit slippery in places. having said that we're in for a scorcher for sure

1 minute ago, goldfishboy said:

I don't recall 2016 being that bad honestly, just a bit slippery in places. having said that we're in for a scorcher for sure

!!!

Thick mud iirc. Anyway, hopefully no 2007 - that was a flood not a mud with about a foot of water around Other at one point and rained over the whole weekend. Just come through BD which was close to that so don't fancy a repeat.

Yeah, I did a lot of trudging along the path between Gate A and Woodsies, it was a quagmire the whole festival, same with Silver Hayes.  Nothing an ankle high walking boot would baulk at, mind, just sticky, claggy mud that clings to the boot and sucks wellies off like a daytime hooker.

I did the overnight queue, in the pissing rain, in 2016.  Pitching my tent there was an inch or two of surface water where I was.  That was literally the worst of it.  What rain there was in 2016 after the Wednesday wasn't so heavy, but it came at a frequency that prevented the army of walkers from packing it down.  

Compare that to, say, 2011 when it absolutely f**ked it down most of Friday night but you could sit on the grass of the pyramid field by Saturday teatime because most of it was overnight and we stomped it all down through the day.

Edited by Spindles

37 minutes ago, goldfishboy said:

2016 was a quagmire. Took about half an hour longer to get anywhere. 

2016 was the pits. Grey , gloomy, rain and mud . Mud everywhere. I had the most HORRIFIC piles imaginable and spent my whole time in agony. Sacked it in on the Sunday and headed to the airport. Went back 2017 though and it was beautiful. Nowhere quite like it in the right conditions. Bad conditions make it a trial to get through. 

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

Yeah, I did a lot of trudging along the path between Gate A and Woodsies, it was a quagmire the whole festival, same with Silver Hayes.  Nothing an ankle high walking boot would baulk at, mind, just sticky, claggy mud that clings to the boot and sucks wellies off like a daytime hooker.

I did the overnight queue, in the pissing rain, in 2016.  Pitching my tent there was an inch or two of surface water where I was.  That was literally the worst of it.  What rain there was in 2016 after the Wednesday wasn't so heavy, but it came at a frequency that prevented the army of walkers from packing it down.  

Compare that to, say, 2011 when it absolutely f**ked it down most of Friday night but you could sit on the grass of the pyramid field by Saturday teatime because most of it was overnight and we stomped it all down through the day.

Many wellies were sucked off in the great quagmires of 2016!

Screenshot_20240608_192431_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20240608_192309_Facebook.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've learnt over recent years studying basic forecasts like the bbc before the festival that overcast black clouds and slight chance of rain can actually mean no rain at all and long spells of sunshine.

My memory of 2016 is that video of the ground bubbling up at the bottom of the park the week before the festival. Joining the queue in the car at Glastonbury, seeing the school children walk to school, then about 7 hours later them walking home. Took 12 hours from joining the back of the queue in Glastonbury to getting the tent pitched on-site.

It had almost dried up by Thursday evening, then it rained again and everything was back to square one. Then there was Brexit. And Mr Blue Sky in the pouring rain.

Edited by Blownimpression
Clicked send too soon
  • Upvote 1