The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

AccuWeather has the 5 days of the festival as being really good, the week run up to be ok but the next 10 days looking a bit worrying, particularly between 13th and 18th. Time for the Azores finger to stand up and be counted. 

Edit: Most sites have the rain in that period as light rain or showers so hopefully nothing to worry about and the signs are maybe leaning towards less rain and high pressure creeping in towards the end of the month.

Edited by gherkin8r

2016 was fine for me, but I stayed in worthy view so didn’t have queues to get in or a tent to get up.

Personally, it didn’t affect my enjoyment at all, wading  through mud can be really tough for some.

I’d be more affected by constant rain during the festival but that didn’t happen.

• Upvote 1

Remarkably cold spell of weather at the moment. Only looked at the GFS ensembles but temperatures strugggling in the mid teens at Glastonbury. Barely a chance of 20c for the next 10 days.

The only positive is that although there is rain around it doesn't look like a disaster.

Festival still too far out to have any clue in my opinion.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

2016 was fine for me, but I stayed in worthy view so didn’t have queues to get in or a tent to get up.

Personally, it didn’t affect my enjoyment at all, wading  through mud can be really tough for some.

I’d be more affected by constant rain during the festival but that didn’t happen.

Correct, we were in WV that year for the first time and were glad of it, though the slog up the steps in the mud wasn’t easy! Up in WV the pathways stood up well to the conditions, car park was also fine. Overall 2016 was really good as long as you slowed down. I fell only once in the mud, leaving the other stage and heading to the park, much to the amusement of everyone else. 

15 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Remarkably cold spell of weather at the moment. Only looked at the GFS ensembles but temperatures strugggling in the mid teens at Glastonbury. Barely a chance of 20c for the next 10 days.

The only positive is that although there is rain around it doesn't look like a disaster.

Festival still too far out to have any clue in my opinion.

Agreed, lots of disagreement on ensembles 

Screenshot_20240609_101716_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Forecasts are all over the place at the moment. Everyone hedging their bets, saying chance of showers, below Ave temps .  
it really won’t be clear for at least a week yet, and the position of the jet stream. It needs to head north.

Anyone who claims to have any idea about the festival weather is nuts.

People saying below average temps and chance of showers are just projecting this dismal spell on the festival. It could just as likely be hot and sunny at this point!

13 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

f**k me pissing down in West Yorkshire, feels like November weekends. 

Give us a summer ya bastards

Yep, we are big on garden bird feeders and the poor buggers are smashing through it like its January. Just had to order another sack of sunflower heart's. This shite weather is really testing the creatures.

Hope you enjoyed the look into my middle aged rock n roll lifestyle 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

The conditions of 2016 did all come together on the Sunday night for LCD to produce the greatest set that the festival has ever seen 

The best. I bumped into a friend who is now my boyfriend that sunday and we ended up all watching LCD with another friend who died a few years ago from cancer. Special memories, despite the grim weather!

Perhaps a ridiculous contribution but...I figure the colder/not scorching temps before the festival could be a good thing in at leat one way....as it means the grass wont dry out so maybe slightly more rain absorption(???) anyway just glass half full channeling good weather gods attitude

21 minutes ago, Glastonbury101 said:

Perhaps a ridiculous contribution but...I figure the colder/not scorching temps before the festival could be a good thing in at leat one way....as it means the grass wont dry out so maybe slightly more rain absorption(???) anyway just glass half full channeling good weather gods attitude

It's a valid point, but unfortunately the colder temps right now also means the cows on field won't be drinking as much water, so it kind of cancels out what you were saying. Good point though.

Temperatures stil poor etc, hardly a nice June BUT...

Even when its forecasting rain in the build up, it's nothing too heavy and sustained. That at least bodes well for the build and ground conditions.

4kuL9eV.png

7 minutes ago, Drew3232 said:

It's a valid point, but unfortunately the colder temps right now also means the cows on field won't be drinking as much water, so it kind of cancels out what you were saying. Good point though.

Yeah, but they won’t be pissing as much either😉😊

37 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Total mess on ECM Ensembles 

Screenshot_20240609_173001_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hi, I've been following these threads since 2015 but never been brave enough to ask. What do these charts show/ mean? How can one read them? 

4 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Hi, I've been following these threads since 2015 but never been brave enough to ask. What do these charts show/ mean? How can one read them? 

Left hand side shows pressure

Generally high pressure is 1020 and above and means usually dry weather depending on position of high over UK. Anything below 1020 and you're getting into more low pressure territory and therefore more chance of rain