The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

Over the colder months I occasionally use an electric blanket for content fluffy nesting cozyness. I'm not 95 quite yet but it's the best thing I've ever bought. Anyway, the last couple of years I've put this thing into storage about late March time.

This year I'm still powering it up mid June 3-4 nights a week ffs! Am wondering if there's a 12v model I can plug into my campervan!

• Like 1

For those of you who know about such things - is the amount of rainfall the most difficult things to predict? ie 5 days ahead do we have a higher level of confidence around temperatures but less around rainfall?

Considering revolutionizing the forecasting game by building my own models in excel

Edited by gherkin8r

Seems like the general consensus on the apps/sites I’ve visited (will probably change 100 times before the festival) say frequent showers in the build up to the festival but nothing dramatic, I think the worst day was about 2mm of rain. The festival itself is looking ok though, no rain and high teens/low twenties in temperature. STICK! 

7 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Seems like the general consensus on the apps/sites I’ve visited (will probably change 100 times before the festival) say frequent showers in the build up to the festival but nothing dramatic, I think the worst day was about 2mm of rain. The festival itself is looking ok though, no rain and high teens/low twenties in temperature. STICK! 

Forgot weather forecasters, forget weather apps, you have on weather overlord now and his name is @briddj

Just been up the Tor and I can confirm it is an absolute stunner today. Was too hot in shorts and a light hoodie - would have been too warm in walking boots

Left my phone at home but the site is looking glorious and really starting to come together

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, EavisAintDead said:

Just been up the Tor and I can confirm it is an absolute stunner today. Was too hot in shorts and a light hoodie - would have been too warm in walking boots

Left my phone at home but the site is looking glorious and really starting to come together

Very jealous! 

Is the view of the site amazing up there?

Always thought it'd be amazing to see the festival at night from The Tor. 

4 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Very jealous! 

Is the view of the site amazing up there?

Always thought it'd be amazing to see the festival at night from The Tor. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5c53d4ce606cd31e87a8c02b05007cff.jpeg

Not a great photo from the Sunday last year - have never really seen it at night as the days are so long and I rarely go up there after 6 PM

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, EavisAintDead said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5c53d4ce606cd31e87a8c02b05007cff.jpeg

Not a great photo from the Sunday last year - have never really seen it at night as the days are so long and I rarely go up there after 6 PM

Lovely!
we always climb the Tor when down for the festival. You soon learn to spot where the festival site is even when it’s not built! The pyramid skeleton is easy to spot!
took this Tor photo last year,hope it’s as nice in a few weeks time🤞

IMG_1895.thumb.jpeg.6ecfae9b59f8e6dd30a7fcc4a001662c.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Danny T said:

When reading forecasts such as Accuweather, can someone help here. When it says 7.2mm of precipitation/rain, does this mean per hour or in total for that day??

image.png.1b49817580bf3f41e6164a4e1d48e626.png

It's for the period of that forecast, so that's for the day

4 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

Not looking too bad. Some rain for the next 7 days, but not loads and then just showers

Oh yeah looks great.

Rain for the next week and then more rain when we're at the festival 

42 minutes ago, Danny T said:

When reading forecasts such as Accuweather, can someone help here. When it says 7.2mm of precipitation/rain, does this mean per hour or in total for that day??

image.png.1b49817580bf3f41e6164a4e1d48e626.png

I think AccuWeather split it into day and night though on the monthly screen when you drill into a given date. Mine showing different numbers to yours though. This looks promising in the lead up to the festival lol

Screenshot_20240611-094415~2.png

Edited by gherkin8r

3 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Some forecasters have as much as 10mm on some days leading up to the start.

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Some forecasters have as much as 10mm on some days leading up to the start.

Not seeing any heavy all day washouts in any of the forecasts for the next 10 days.

Certainly not going to be dry, but looks like sunshine with showers, some for a few hours.

But not full days worth of heavy rain etc.

29 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Not seeing any heavy all day washouts in any of the forecasts for the next 10 days.

Certainly not going to be dry, but looks like sunshine with showers, some for a few hours.

But not full days worth of heavy rain etc.

The one standout takeaway from all the forecasters is their low confidence in anything they're predicting over the next 4 weeks. They're looking for signs of a bend in the jet stream which will bring warmer and drier weather....and basically they don't know when it will happen (if at all).

This is the sort of scenario the GFS is toying with during the festival week. A plume of heat but if the low pressure gets too close to us, it'll bring a lot of rain with it!

All for fun at the moment anyway, another week and we'll start to get a bit more accuracy.

spacer.png