The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

4 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

Very jealous! 

Is the view of the site amazing up there?

Always thought it'd be amazing to see the festival at night from The Tor. 

If you get the chance / time off work one year, i highly recommend spending a night before the festival on the Tor and camping / staying in the town.  I have done it a few times.  In 2022, the Monday night before the festival was Summer Solstice.  It was pretty special up there.

Pics are out of sequence but i think you can get the feeling from them.  Its sunset and sunup on the Monday into the Tuesday.  Just ensure you work on your "Bongo w*nker" tolerance before spending a while up there

Glasot4.jpg

Glasto1.jpg

Glasto2.jpg

Glasto3.jpg

Edited by Jay Pee
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Forecasts for the next week show the heaviest rain to the north and east, rest of the country showery and some sun. 
trying to keep positive! 

They can give us all the rain if they want if it protects the site. Happily take it for the team (I've seen nowt but rain for years anyway) 

14 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

If you get the chance / time off work one year, i highly recommend spending a night before the festival on the Tor and camping / staying in the town.  I have done it a few times.  In 2022, the Monday night before the festival was Summer Solstice.  It was pretty special up there.

Pics are out of sequence but i think you can get the feeling from them.  Its sunset and sunup on the Monday into the Tuesday.  Just ensure you work on your "Bongo w*nker" tolerance before spending a while up there

Done it a few times myself. Lovely start to the festival. Only issue is the pubs closing at 11. 

24 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Glasot4.jpg

Glasto1.jpg

Glasto2.jpg

Glasto3.jpg

These are class!

I'd love to - this year were stopping about 50 mins away in Wembdon at a mates mums house, couldn't turn down the free accom but would love to do this. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

If you get the chance / time off work one year, i highly recommend spending a night before the festival on the Tor and camping / staying in the town.

Always good to find an excuse to get up the Tor any time of year I reckon.

• Upvote 1

I'm still quietly confident about the weather myself.  The met office picture seems to be improving as we get closer, with a week of some rain starting Thursday and then clearing for some drier weather.  Most importantly the temps are slowly climbing and we're more likely to see them around the low 20s rather than the high teens with overnight temps in low double digits.

9 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

Can anyone remember back to 2016 build up ? Was the site always a bog or did it turn very bad very fast? 

From the Webcam Time Machine it looks pretty sodden from 10 days before gates open.

Also, no woodchip before the festival started. We haven't had a really wet year since pre-emptive woodchip, so who knows, it might be the solution? I'd rather not find out though, the woodchip can just act to keep the dust down.

Edited by devonhammer
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

Can anyone remember back to 2016 build up ? Was the site always a bog or did it turn very bad very fast? 

I'm sure someone else can tell you the exact details, but I remember that it definitely wasn't certain it would be a mudbath until the Monday/ Tuesday of the fest. Whether that was people just trying to delude themselves I don't know. 

But there was a video on here of water flooding out of the ground taken by someone on site that was the moment many of us realised how bad it was gonna be. And there were people who had already set off without wellies etc. 

I'm pretty sure I read that part of the problem was that the ground was really dry and so wasn't soaking properly, which caused the mud. But I'm very aware of false memories etc. so would stick money on that! 

Also, post-2016 the site added additional drainage measures, which it was felt really helped in 2017 

Edited by kemosabe

The model output this morning does suggest the rather unsettled and cool weather we've had might be on the move from its current state. Maybe an improving picture post 20-22 June ish.

Certainly more runs with high pressure in the mix, but there's so much spread in the runs that it's impossible to tell still what will happen!

1 minute ago, kemosabe said:

I'm sure someone else can tell you the exact details, but I remember that it definitely wasn't certain it would be a mudbath until the Monday/ Tuesday of the fest. Whether that was people trying to delude themselves I don't know. 

But there was a video on here of water flooding out of the ground taken by someone on site that was the moment many of us realised how bad it was gonna be. And there were people who had already set off etc. 

I'm pretty sure I read that part of the problem was that the ground was really dry and so wasn't soaking properly, which caused the mud. But I'm very aware of false memories etc. so would stick money on that; 

Haha I know the video in question, that was truly horrendous 😆

I don't know why but I have blind faith that unless there is a ridiculous deluge then we will be ok. Even with the heavy rain of the last few months, the ground seems like its managed to dry really well. Just hope next week's weather can do the same!

15 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I'm sure someone else can tell you the exact details, but I remember that it definitely wasn't certain it would be a mudbath until the Monday/ Tuesday of the fest. Whether that was people just trying to delude themselves I don't know. 

But there was a video on here of water flooding out of the ground taken by someone on site that was the moment many of us realised how bad it was gonna be. And there were people who had already set off without wellies etc. 

I'm pretty sure I read that part of the problem was that the ground was really dry and so wasn't soaking properly, which caused the mud. But I'm very aware of false memories etc. so would stick money on that! 

Also, post-2016 the site added additional drainage measures, which it was felt really helped in 2017 

I think that the ground being really dry and the water just running off to low ground was 2005. I know my tent was in the middle of a river at the height of the storm. When it stopped there was no standing water in Cockmill, but the bottom of Pennards was a few feet deep. The only casualties I saw in Cockmill was those unfortunate people who camped downhill from the long drops. 

35 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

It was. It always is.

This was the Friday before. And then a months worth of rain hit the site Sunday/Monday 

image.thumb.png.a398798b8bc6a9d0aabda7c036aeb8af.png

FB_IMG_1466157657242.jpg.bdca9a4fabed2e1f6c3845384784e468.jpg

YR have updated. Thats half a months worth of rain in 72 hours. This week.

The time for worrying is over. Its time to start panicking.

image.thumb.png.fdf0f0bb5900fecf6201724b38a53516.png

https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-7292387/United Kingdom/England/Somerset/Pilton

Edited by The Nal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

There was a ridiculous amount of rain at the start of June all the way up to gates opening in 2016.  The entire site was pretty much waterlogged.  It was like walking on saturated sponge in places before it cut up, with puddles forming round your feet as you stood still.

This year will be nowhere close to that.  The ground is dry now, and the only forecast is for showers, not persistent downpours.

• Like 1

For both 2007 and 2016, all the signs were pointing to a mud bath from early June with pretty consistent low pressure and ongoing rain (a position we might have been in if May's weather had continued unbroken into June given we had the wettest start to the year on record in some places). 

IIRC the week before the festival in 2016 we could see the drier weather coming for the festival, but the Sunday / Monday before gates opened was biblical on already waterlogged ground and it was done from that point. 

So we're not in that territory. Doesn't mean it won't be a shitshow when the time comes but it's a dice roll at the moment given how spread the models are. 

We keep hearing about this deluge next week, but it's just not being forecast at the moment.

There is rain that's undeniable - but its literally showers in-between sunshine.

p3GJTt9.png

The worst day Thursday is only showing a couple of hours of heavy rain too.

Zh66mqQ.png