The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

8 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

We keep hearing about this deluge next week, but it's just not being forecast at the moment.

There is rain that's undeniable - but its literally showers in-between sunshine.

If you look hard enough, you'll find a bad forecast, but Met Office, BBC, GFS (American Met Office), European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts showing limited heavy rain for a few hours.

Only yr.no (Norweigan met office) showing really substantial rain.

13 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

If you look hard enough, you'll find a bad forecast, but Met Office, BBC, GFS (American Met Office), European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts showing limited heavy rain for a few hours.

Only yr.no (Norweigan met office) showing really substantial rain.

If we want some positivity to counteract this - we went to Norway last year and were advised that yr.no was the gold standard for weather forecasting over there. They predicted a lot more rain on our trip than ever materialised. They were wrong then and they can be wrong now!

54 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

According the Emily Evis on the bbc podcast she gets a reliable weather forecast from a local cheese maker 

so it is said in the life of Brian

IMG_1380.jpeg.66582de23888fd93bbb6a4ef4bb88f2f.jpeg

Well hopefully dry times are comte-ing and you won't need to say hello-umi to your winter clothes.

... sorry.

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Well hopefully dry times are comte-ing and you won't need to say hello-umi to your winter clothes.

... sorry.

and the Norwegians at yr.no can jarlsberger off until they give us a forecast we like.

Some forecasts say end of next week starting to warm up. Beeb has it 5 degrees up at 22ish, some sun, bit of rain but nothing concerning.

I'm sure it'll change but thats good enough for me at the mo. 

50 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

If you know me, you'd know that I always say the only person to believe about the weather is um James Peacock on twitter 

The netweather folks seem to trust him so good enough for me! 😂

The models are edging drier for festival week.  These are the last 4 runs from ECMWF for the week (most recent on the left).  Definite drying trend. 

IMG_4361.thumb.jpeg.7a8dd60f350f14b5ed5ecc208ad9bafa.jpeg

The whole GFS sequence right up to festival Friday shows a fair amount of rain next week, starting this weekend, but, again, drying up for festival week itself.

IMG_4360.thumb.gif.df082338c004c185da8ba84681c281c9.gif

And here’s the reason why. The latest run for midnight festival Friday shows the Azores finger much more pronounced, pushing in over the U.K. nicely.  It’s beginning to look good…..

IMG_4359.thumb.jpeg.914087be43f90e866f77456f1f79b35a.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

The models are edging drier for festival week.  These are the last 4 runs from ECMWF for the week (most recent on the left).  Definite drying trend. 

The whole GFS sequence right up to festival Friday shows a fair amount of rain next week, starting this weekend, but, again, drying up for festival week itself.

And here’s the reason why. The latest run for midnight festival Friday shows the Azores finger much more pronounced, pushing in over the U.K. nicely.  It’s beginning to look good…..

Think its probably likely Wednesday/Thursday of the festival early doors there could be some mud under foot but if we can get a mostly dry festival, we could be OK :) 

16 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Think its probably likely Wednesday/Thursday of the festival early doors there could be some mud under foot but if we can get a mostly dry festival, we could be OK 🙂

It's mainly showers next week, so wouldn't expect mud really. Warm and dry all the way I'm hoping!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

It's mainly showers next week, so wouldn't expect mud really. Warm and dry all the way I'm hoping!

Yeah must say, barring a good few hours on Thursday it doesn't look anything monsoon like. 

More fleeting showers here and there.

38 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

The ensembles are suggesting higher pressure festival week.  Problem with GFS it's not particularly reliable until T96 and even then I've seen it go completely off on one. 

Hence I think the ensembles give a clearer picture as opposed to the gfs operational run.

UKMO is the one to watch when we get to around 120 hours out

Edited by Aragorn

6 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

The ensembles are suggesting higher pressure festival week.  Problem with GFS it's not particularly reliable until T96 and even then I've seen it go completely off on one. 

Hence I think the ensembles give a clearer picture as opposed to the gfs operational run.

UKMO is the one to watch when we get to around 120 hours out

Let us try be positive Aragorn lad

• Upvote 1