The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

23 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

The ensembles are suggesting higher pressure festival week.  Problem with GFS it's not particularly reliable until T96 and even then I've seen it go completely off on one. 

Hence I think the ensembles give a clearer picture as opposed to the gfs operational run.

UKMO is the one to watch when we get to around 120 hours out

Oh yes, agreed. We’re only looking for trends at this stage. But it’s nice to through in a positive GFS every now and again to keep everyone’s spirits up 😊

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

Oh yes, agreed. We’re only looking for trends at this stage. But it’s nice to through in a positive GFS every now and again to keep everyone’s spirits up 😊

Steve understands the inner workings on the Weather Thread - we are needy, we are obsessive and sometimes we just need to be told "Everything is going to be OK"

(Even if it isn't)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheffield Steve said:

The models are edging drier for festival week.  These are the last 4 runs from ECMWF for the week (most recent on the left).  Definite drying trend. 

IMG_4361.thumb.jpeg.7a8dd60f350f14b5ed5ecc208ad9bafa.jpeg

The whole GFS sequence right up to festival Friday shows a fair amount of rain next week, starting this weekend, but, again, drying up for festival week itself.

IMG_4360.thumb.gif.df082338c004c185da8ba84681c281c9.gif

And here’s the reason why. The latest run for midnight festival Friday shows the Azores finger much more pronounced, pushing in over the U.K. nicely.  It’s beginning to look good…..

IMG_4359.thumb.jpeg.914087be43f90e866f77456f1f79b35a.jpeg

Clear response to me buying an extra fleece last night! 

Yep, as above it is all going to depend on how, if at all, this high pressure is allowed to develop. Anyone who says they know right now is simply lying!

It could still go either way, and there's been a few times in the last couple of months when it's looked like it would break through only for the low to win.

image.png.8887724347ba862fd2f169e87c48e709.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, briddj said:

Yep, as above it is all going to depend on how, if at all, this high pressure is allowed to develop. Anyone who says they know right now is simply lying!

It could still go either way, and there's been a few times in the last couple of months when it's looked like it would break through only for the low to win.

Many thanks @briddj - keep up the voice of sanity and sensibility as the rest of us may easily be driven to be a drooling, gibbering wreck! 

Just now, CanWeRest said:

Rain aside, what's the coldest Glastonbury on record? I'm a bit concerned because I was freezing last night in my house!

Yeah regardless of rain, can it just warm up abit?

It got down to 8c in West Yorks, that would be f**king brutal in a tent unless you're very prepared.

13 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Yeah regardless of rain, can it just warm up abit?

It got down to 8c in West Yorks, that would be f**king brutal in a tent unless you're very prepared.

Strangely quite open to the idea of just cutting about in a fleece for the full weekend.

I think 2009 and 2011 had cold nights.  I remember sleeping in a fleece, beanie and woolly socks.  Not sure how cold though.

20 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Strangely quite open to the idea of just cutting about in a fleece for the full weekend.

I do have a nice Columbia Gilet (Tory I know) I'd quite like break out. 

Edited by Jacko45

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Can the azores high save us?! Looks like high pressure will enter the mix as we move towards the festival, which is something that hasn't been present recently.

As you say...still too far away to know what the hell will happen. Could be absolutely anything at this range.

1 hour ago, CanWeRest said:

Rain aside, what's the coldest Glastonbury on record? I'm a bit concerned because I was freezing last night in my house!

The glastopedia page has sourced stats from the nearest weather stations for each festival...

https://www.glastopedia.com/festivals/weather

Suggests that the coldest it ever was was 4.7 degrees C in 1987 and the lowest high was 15 degrees C in 1985. Although those are yeovil weather station readings, which is a little way away from Shepton Mallet, where they now have a weather station.

Edited by Tiesto13
  • Upvote 1

Looks like I was wrong.  It was 2011 and 2013 that had the lowest temps around 6-7 degrees.  Think it was early in the weekend that was cold and then we had the biblical rain on Friday night which was the nadir.  Sat/Sun warmed up nicely.

Just left the house for the first time today. Looks quite nice out, but it’s bastard freezing! 11 degrees FFS! 

GFS continuing with a similar theme of removing the cool air (good) but threatening a return of wetter westerlies (bad). ECM comes into range on Sunday.

There are dry and warm interludes so I suspect it's going to come down to the timing of the low pressure systems and how far each one encroaches into the UK.