The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

1 hour ago, Jacko45 said:

And we've had 4 hot days since the start of May.

Laughable. 

It's actually incredibly depressing to think about. It must be something to do with climate change and maybe we will just have hotter Septembers now 

Maybe we're heading towards having something more akin to having wet/dry seasons, where it pisses down every summer but is humid/hot and the best of it in Spring/Autumn.  Boo.

1 hour ago, Jacko45 said:

And we've had 4 hot days since the start of May.

Laughable. 

What's incredible is May was the warmed on record. Not even joking.

Dull, Wet and Very warm.

June has started horrifically though and is currently running 1.7C BELOW the mean.

I remember over the years (going back to my first Glastonbury, so talking like 10-15 years ago) often thinking in mid-June "I can't believe I'm camping in 2 weeks" because its felt too cold and nowhere near summer yet. But by the time we get there its fine. The forecast looks like that'll be the case this year too. 

This feels like a return to that than anything new to me. Its slightly colder, BBC had a good article explaining something about trapped cold air, but the general pattern fits with what I remember. 

Hopefully this trend continues with the Azores high attempting to approach the UK at the start of the festival week.

This is the mean of all GFS runs from the 00Z model output 

image.thumb.png.8bd66576967d29d55df4f17d6976c9d4.png   

57 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Hopefully this trend continues with the Azores high attempting to approach the UK at the start of the festival week.

I’m hoping I can pick up some Azores Highs at the Stone Circle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aragorn said:

All Azores aren't we

yes, it’s pointing straight towards Somerset, well nearly. 

Where does one go to see all these colourful pictures I am obsessed with but don't understand in the slightest?

Just now, aquaman said:

do i need to shell out on a pair of walking boots at this stage or will it be dry enough for trainers all weekend...

At that risk/reward tipping point. 

Wait till 7 days out for the accurate forecast to potential save money, but also lose valuable wearing in time.

Good luck solider. 

1 minute ago, aquaman said:

do i need to shell out on a pair of walking boots at this stage or will it be dry enough for trainers all weekend...

On Tuesday, we won't know for certain whether it will rain on Saturday and Sunday. I'd always take walking boots

11 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Could be sketchers or trainers or walking shoes or walking boots or wellies or flippers 

its on a knife edge as it usually is! 

21 minutes ago, aquaman said:

buy as an offer to the weather gods then return if the heatwave comes in and it's clear you won't need them? Scientific approach.

7 minutes ago, PollyPeach said:

buy as an offer to the weather gods then return if the heatwave comes in and it's clear you won't need them? Scientific approach.

In my experience buying alternative footwear has meant needing it. If you don't buy it you won't need it.