The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

32 minutes ago, aquaman said:

do i need to shell out on a pair of walking boots at this stage or will it be dry enough for trainers all weekend...

I always take wellies/boots/trainers and sliders (for the campsite).  If it's a good forecast, the wellies stay in the car.

32 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

I can confirm BLUE SKY + SUN has arrived in West Yorks for the first time in 2 weeks. 

Still brass monkeys though isn't it?

13 minutes ago, PollyPeach said:

buy as an offer to the weather gods then return if the heatwave comes in and it's clear you won't need them? Scientific approach.

I always take wellies for this reason! Don't tempt the weather gods!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PollyPeach said:

buy as an offer to the weather gods then return if the heatwave comes in and it's clear you won't need them? Scientific approach.

But never return them before the end of the festival. The weather gods will see this as total Cockiness and we will be smote. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

It's looking too good to be true. There has been talk of this june being very much like 2019, and I remember melting in the heat at glasto that year.

Yes, the Wednesday and Thursday were extremely hot I think.  Certainly remember searching for shade 

Well my friends in Crete on holiday posted it was nearly 40C there. My heating came on today and I’ve been freezing in the office all day🙄

Weather at the moment is just stupid. 

If anyone likes following pressure maps and fancies adding the Jet Stream to that viewing here are two sites I use.
https://bigsalty.com/en/charts/jet_stream_forecast/uk-ireland/

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/datukgfshires.aspx?display=jetstream&model=gfs

At this time of year the UK 'should' be under the jet stream so like the letter 'n'. We have had autumn winter patterns for ages now so we are in the letter 'u' - hopefully that makes sense. N means high, U means low pressure.

From 23rd June there are tentative signs of the jet stream that provide the highs getting stronger at last (it has been so so weak) and being able to shift the blocking patterns out the way..............................

but you all know what forecasting is like and I am sure it will all look different in a few days.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Come on you beautiful golden finger! Save my festival outfits from going in the bin

It’s one of the joys of the festival being able to dress up totally differently than you usually do or just slop around in cargo  shorts and baggy t shirts.
Personally a bit of sunshine and i can’t resist buying yet another festival hat and hippy shirt that will spent its life hanging in the wardrobe. 😉😊

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LeeHC said:

I always take wellies for this reason! Don't tempt the weather gods!!

One of those "better to have but not need them then need them but not have them" states of mind huh.

I still recall turning up at Reading 2011 just for the final day in box-fresh white trainers without knowing that the wet weather had turned the main stage area into a mudbath. During Muse's set, it felt like the moshpit was on an ice rink and tons of us were about to fall over when the riff to New Born properly got going.

1 hour ago, sedra said:

Well my friends in Crete on holiday posted it was nearly 40C there. My heating came on today and I’ve been freezing in the office all day🙄

Weather at the moment is just stupid. 

I know a lot of it feels nonsensical.

I contemplated going to Seville last week for a getaway after a wedding but couldn't get it arranged. Had I gone, it would've been 35-40 degrees C, which I really wouldn't have been able to handle. Same with the near-miss that was contemplating seeing a show in Rome last summer on a day that was 42 degrees C, which I suspect would've been painful.

Didn’t get a ticket this year but couldn’t resist dropping in here.

You lot are gonna be fine this year, trending in the right direction compared to some horror show lead ups in previous. ECM is the one to go by for extended range and that is looking tasty. The clusters are providing positive variance in terms of it being warm/ dry.

Have a fab time all! See ya next year when it absolutely shits down!

Edited by PolygonWindow
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

Yeah regardless of rain, can it just warm up abit?

It got down to 8c in West Yorks, that would be f**king brutal in a tent unless you're very prepared.

I'm going to be taking about 15 blankets 🥶