The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

As others have said today is the big rain day, then it seems to be over the weekend, scattered showers (sometimes heavy) between nice warmer sun. 

And there's certainly a trend emerging of it seeming to improve well into next week.

Keep on keeping on Azores Finger 

The ground is struggling to dry up after our wet spring. This shows the soil moisture conditions across the U.K. at the end of May, still much wetter than average:

IMG_4363.thumb.jpeg.fb9362356db7b14c27ef2cf2ab480e05.jpeg

And by comparison, this was after our dry May last year, which helped to give us a lovely firm festival in 2023:

IMG_4364.jpeg.23898df2a7acc9084725f82f843b0476.jpeg

Plenty of time for it to dry up though, as long as we don’t get a deluge between now and the festival…

Edited by Sheffield Steve
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

The ground is struggling to dry up after our wet spring. This shows the soil moisture conditions across the U.K. at the end of May, still much wetter than average:

And by comparison, this was after our dry May last year, which helped to give us a lovely firm festival in 2023:

Plenty of time for it to dry up though, as long as we don’t get a deluge between now and the festival…

Obviously what we have now is a long way off what we had last year, but a lot of the country – and the Somerset area in particular – looks to be firmly in that 'low wetness' band, which doesn't seem too bad when you consider what much of the country looks like.

As someone who lives out in the sticks, I'm finding that so much of the ground around me is bone dry at the moment. It doesn't take much to 'dry it out' so to speak.

16 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

I think we have also seen and heard reports of those on or near the site in recent weeks saying that the ground seems to be ok and is dry regardless of the wetter weather recently, so fingers crossed, the warmer weather (if it happens), keeps it that way!!

1 minute ago, Thunderstruck said:

It does look after a very quick flick through the models this morning we are going to move into a potentially more settled, warmer regime with things shifting through middle of next week.

It's felt like this sh*t spell was never going to end so it's hugely welcomed. 

2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

It does look after a very quick flick through the models this morning we are going to move into a potentially more settled, warmer regime with things shifting through middle of next week.

I'm off to the shops to buy more suncream. Anyone need 'owt?

2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

The Accuweather update this morning is the best thing I've seen in weeks 

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 09.03.07.png

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

It's going to rain today, tomorrow and Saturday, but we don't know how much and then it's all up in the air. Even forecasting today is fairly uncertain.

Netweather NMM Image

latest radar has a fair bit on the way

image.thumb.png.b9c48acbdb56ae97c07c3eea259b625c.png 

People getting worried about rain today?

Everyone is forgetting how quickly the mud dries up. 

As someone who can only get there Friday evening of the festival the amount of festivals my mates have sent photos of the mud on Thursday morning and then it's dried up by Friday evening. 

It's 12 days away. Today's rain will have no impact whatsoever. Relax

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

People getting worried about rain today?

Everyone is forgetting how quickly the mud dries up. 

As someone who can only get there Friday evening of the festival the amount of festivals my mates have sent photos of the mud on Thursday morning and then it's dried up by Friday evening. 

It's 12 days away. Today's rain will have no impact whatsoever. Relax

I've learned that people panic like rabid freaks about any kind of forecast rain over the south west in June.

• Upvote 1

Green Man last year saw pretty biblical rain on the Friday/Saturday turning everything to mud and by Sunday it had all dried out enough to sit on the ground.

It rain quite a bit at Glastonbury Tuesday evening last year (my van was covered in mud from getting in the campervan fields).

Anything that hits before the festival doesn't matter too much. They know not to churn the grass up in the run up.

The current predicted weather looks ideal to me. I've found scorchers as bad as mud baths in many ways, it's just draining getting about the festival.

We should have a good idea of temperature ranges by early next week (more like the end of the week for rain) but it's definitely an improving picture.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the absolute sh*t storm is coming today and tomorrow.

Then improving vastly next week, that should give it ample time to dry and drain.

Even by end of the weekend still 10 days until the Festival starts, so realistically heavy rain now isn't an enormous issue.