The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

Just now, Sasperella2 said:

I am so confused about May being the warmest on record. How can that be?? I'm pretty sure I can remember warmer Mays in the last five years!

I know right, dreadful. We had about 2 days of sunshine

5 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

I am so confused about May being the warmest on record. How can that be?? I'm pretty sure I can remember warmer Mays in the last five years!

Don't confuse weather with climate. Averaged means say warmer overall.

6 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

Apparently the night time temperatures did not drop as much as they normally do so the average May temperature was lifted by that.

Basically, the weather was f**kin mint when we were all in bed asleep. Another barometric kick in the nuts right there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Don't confuse weather with climate. Averaged means say warmer overall.

It's more a case of don't confuse air temps measured by thermometers in stevenson screen enclosures with 'feels like' temperature walking around in direct sunshine or wind and rain.

The rending of hair about it on social media has been hilarious. They're gaslighting us!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

It's more a case of don't confuse air temps measured by thermometers in stevenson screen enclosures with 'feels like' temperature walking around in direct sunshine or wind and rain.

The rending of hair about it on social media has been hilarious. They're gaslighting us!

Correct. Wind chill very much a factor atm. Sitting outside now and windy makes it feel more like October than June.

I'm currently in the middle east. The mercury is topping out at 43 Celsius. It's too hot to go outside. My vitamin D levels are at an all time low, due to avoiding the outside. Even the locals complain about this time of year. However, if it was possible to transport this godforsaken weather to Somerset at the end of June when I come back, I'd 100% choose this over a wet Glastonbury, anyone saying different has never experienced a wet glastonbury. There has yet to be a scale invented to differentiate the experience.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Correct. Wind chill very much a factor atm. Sitting outside now and windy makes it feel more like October than June.

I’m inside and it feels the similar, despite no wind (obvs). I’ve given in and put the heating on for an hour to take the chill off. A wool blankie and jumper isn’t enough. Might put my bean seedlings under a fleece in the garden. 

21 minutes ago, BigMarv said:

I'm currently in the middle east. The mercury is topping out at 43 Celsius. It's too hot to go outside. My vitamin D levels are at an all time low, due to avoiding the outside. Even the locals complain about this time of year. However, if it was possible to transport this godforsaken weather to Somerset at the end of June when I come back, I'd 100% choose this over a wet Glastonbury, anyone saying different has never experienced a wet glastonbury. There has yet to be a scale invented to differentiate the experience.

I'm definitely saying different and I was there in 2007. 43 degrees at Glastonbury? Would be a frickin nightmare with people passing out left right and centre and everyone fighting over shade. Give me a wet one over that! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kpins said:

I'm definitely saying different and I was there in 2007. 43 degrees at Glastonbury? Would be a frickin nightmare with people passing out left right and centre and everyone fighting over shade. Give me a wet one over that! 

I didn't say 'wrong answers only'

Glastonbury 2005/07 veteran (plus 09/11/13)

Edited by BigMarv

39 minutes ago, BigMarv said:

1 million and 73 %  - the horror , the horror , the horror - when you enter in mud in was it 2016 and it goes downhill from there. My friend and I left Sunday night wheels spinning as I think the WHO battled it out. I'm 63 and a veteran recycler who knows I need a bad one to quit. But not this year ... please no This year I'm on site from the Sunday before leaving the Saturday after. Truly Planet Glastonbury ! I will get fooled agin.

Oh and the canoe in 2005 as a punter. I remeber being in Left Field in an almost empty muddy tent on Sunday hearing Billy Bragg caterwauling and trying to compute.I couldn't.

Edited by ibilly99

The ECMWF definitely think they’re on to something.   Their last 4 runs for the whole of festival week have trended warmer (most recent on left):

IMG_4366.thumb.jpeg.affd0611a7f73a0b87ed23ba97512c70.jpeg

and drier:

IMG_4367.thumb.jpeg.6816554b443831c231c67b55d12420c6.jpeg

and this is why, the area of higher pressure than usual is expanding day by day, they clearly think there’s a big finger coming in:

IMG_4368.thumb.jpeg.138607103acadb5e3342e6d29826f934.jpeg

Let’s hope the trend continues…

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kpins said:

Nope! Wrong!

I think this has to be the worst June for weather in my life. Car was showing 9C driving home from work tonight. It’s like February out there!

Was in a tent last weekend, was absolutely freezing. Stopped and bought a new sleeping bag on the way home!

1 hour ago, kpins said:

would be interesting to put this to a vote. i have a feeling the roasting temps would win

Some seriously ridiculous takes on here! 200,000 people standing out in 43 degrees for 12 hours with no shade would result in multiple casualties and possibly some fatalities.

I love the summer, but there is a limit to what is safe. Rain & mud is shite, but it almost certainly won't kill you!

30 minutes ago, goldfishboy said:

would be interesting to put this to a vote. i have a feeling the roasting temps would win

The roasting temps may well win but only because the majority of people are f**king stupid.