The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

2 hours ago, CR77 said:

Or technically... the correct Glastonbury is... Pilton!  LOL! 

Sometimes the Glastonbury and Pilton forecasts actually differ, and Pilton is of course closer, so that's the one I go to on the BBC site.

If people accidentally get the Pilton, Devon forecast could they let me know how my lawn will cope while I'm away?

2 hours ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

And even then… Pilton in Somerset NOT Pilton in Devon. 

There's also a Pilton in Edinburgh. Completely freaked me out in 2022 when forecast seemed to show a 10 degree reduction in temperatures!

19 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Lots of runs looking to bring that low closer. Knife edge stuff

Screenshot_20240619_205035_Samsung Internet.jpg

It'd be so ridiculous to give us one week of half decent weather then back to below monthly norm.

Never had a start to summer like it, it's July and like we've not even begun.

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

We arrived at PGA to find it was temporarily closed and were routed up to PGD. Rain, mud and that slippery slope you describe. But, all of us made it in one piece and in decent shape, a little damp, but pretty clean. All bar one of our particularly clumsy mates who sauntered up behind us, covered from head to toe in mud. Claimed someone with a pram tripped him, to which one of my other mates replied, yeah yeah, blame it on the buggy! That’s my overriding memory of the whole trip in on Wednesday in 2011. Laughing our asses off as we went through the gates. 

Blame it on the Buggy is class. Although I remember there were more than one pram, a few wheeled suitcases and a guy in cowboy boots, short sleeve shirt, no jacket and jeans who was soaked beyond belief. Carnage.

1 hour ago, Euphoricape said:

I'm preparing myself for tomorrow mornings horror run. Every morning this week has been a shower of shite, followed by later runs bringing the goods.

Doesn't the 00z run use a different set of parameters to the others? I think they are all different but it's the 00z that is usually an outlier compared to the rest 

there's sometimes a weather station on the pyramid, and you can get its readings at weather underground. i just had a search for it, and its not there at the moment. it'll probably get installed soon, cos they need to monitor windspeed for various stuff. if it get installed, you can use it for a super mega-local  forecast, because weather underground will do that for you. combining the weather station data with the general data that all the forecasters use.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

At least we can now be more confident that the build will be completed in dry conditions so less chance of a 2016 style churn up. 

I think this is key - if it tips it down on Saturday night I'm not too arsed if we've had decent conditions up to then

5 minutes ago, AdrianH said:

I think this is key - if it tips it down on Saturday night I'm not too arsed if we've had decent conditions up to then

Can I just say I do not want it to tip down on Saturday night. That talk is madness. I am arsed. 

3 hours ago, cb4747 said:

I have put my wellies back in the cupboard! Hurrah! 

The last year I didn't take wellies was 2005, this was the result,

1593362890_e9bcb59e-848e-4fe2-9efe-addd6

Weather had been great, the forecast was great except for one day of potential rain, in my cocky frame of mind I thought "one day of rain can't do much" In the event it wasn't even a full day of rain just about 20 hours of monsoon like downpours, lessons were learned.

31 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Can I just say I do not want it to tip down on Saturday night. That talk is madness. I am arsed. 

I don't either but if there's rain, I definitely want it at the arse end of the festival. It's relentless muddy days that grind me down, I can cope with one!

12 minutes ago, AdrianH said:

I don't either but if there's rain, I definitely want it at the arse end of the festival. It's relentless muddy days that grind me down, I can cope with one!

Don't know what you're talking about.....

ukprec.png