The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

2 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

Does anyone actually wear these at the festival? Surely it's shorts or nothing. 

I've got some for work and will do if it's pissing down. Otherwise the rain just runs off my jacket onto my thighs and soaks whatever I'm wearing. If it's just light rain I wouldn't bother.

5 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

I've got some for work and will do if it's pissing down. Otherwise the rain just runs off my jacket onto my thighs and soaks whatever I'm wearing. If it's just light rain I wouldn't bother.

I do wear them for walking the dog in pouring rain, but never thought of them as a festival necessity. 

1 minute ago, a.shep said:

I've bought an extra waterproof item daily since Tues: Poncho, Nikwax TX direct and just bought a waterproof bucket hat.

Therefore, it's going to be:

The Travelling Filter Bubble | Geoff White

I didn't think of a waterproof hat. I'll be bringing this

Tobar Umbrella Hat

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyone who has a desire to be chafed all weekend.

Certainly had that problem in the past with cheaper ones, but the ones I've got now are much better. Haven't yet had to wear them at a festival but I've worn then on some pretty full on hikes in the fells and had no problems with them.

Saying that unless it's really cold as well as raining I'd generally be in shorts

It's looking like cloudy with showers. Not great, but not terrible with a dry run up to the festival.

However, all the doom is based on an small low pressure system that spins off the Greenland low on Monday. It's very, very possible that this doesn't happen at this stage. This is a very small low pressure system that is currently predicted to hit us, but if it hits Scotland rather than southern Ireland, then we're in the clear.

• Like 1

Just now, devonhammer said:

It's looking like cloudy with showers. Not great, but not terrible with a dry run up to the festival.

However, all the doom is based on a small low pressure system that spins off the Greenland low on Monday. It's very, very possible that this doesn't happen at this stage. This is a very small low pressure system that is currently predicted to hit us, but if it hits Scotland rather than southern Ireland, then we're in the clear.

Send it north, Gladly take one for the team up here. 

I remember in 2022 at about this time, a couple days before gates, the weather thread was raging on with daytime temperatures of 12C predicted on the GFS. The Nal was doing his very irritating thing and some poor sod was getting very upset and clearly having a bit of a moment. A few days later we were sitting in blazing sunshine outside the Brothers Bar. Every year the same thing.

It's a fun little ritual but all these models, no matter how sophisticated and snazzy, are little more than pseudoscience at this stage. You might as well be throwing spaghetti at a wall. 

• Upvote 1

Are we going to need a bigger boat? It's time for the 06Z....

THROUGH TO GATES OPEN

Small amount of rain overnight into Saturday now looks locked, but it's not much at all. Then very warm the next few days through to Tuesday.

GATES OPEN & WEDNESDAY

We're looking at another downgrade here. Rain and highs of only 16.

image.thumb.png.284def20c5d3d0cf0edff4f543f3a4dc.png

Why is it another downgrade?

Because in this run an area of low pressure is forcing its way down to the UK, bringing cooler temperatures with the rain.

It's what happens next here that decides out fate. It either gets cutoff, or it wins. Latest run on the right.

image.thumb.png.1060efc66540cd00083f8003ae946ecc.png

Wet Wednesday, highs of only 18.

Overnight temps into Thursday of 13-14.

image.thumb.png.9748afd413555b5e2bb0c939a4540004.png

THURSDAY

A dry day, with highs of 19-20, so improving.

Overnight temps into Friday of 10-11.

image.thumb.png.5f3cfda15a6d7fece38464fe622a5528.png

Good news! The high pressure is building in this time (on the right), rather than the yellow low developing. This is much more promising.

image.thumb.png.51b9b4d6da49a2a6d2a7751d87e722ce.png

FRIDAY

Dry, highs on 19-20.

Overnight temps into Saturday of 15.

image.thumb.png.7f3f2e633b239bd77d9cef3c655b4e1f.png

But hang on  .... what's this .... ?

There is nasty little green pocket of low pressure making its way to UK (latest on the right). It spells disaster for Saturday. You can see the rain hitting Northern Ireland on the above chart.

image.thumb.png.8c57a8e649c7d6dedf016f14b51e9a52.png

SATURDAY

It's not as bad as the low pressure bubble was perhaps suggesting, with the north getting the worst of it.

Showers, but with a big affect on temperatures, back down to 17-18.

Overnight temps into Sunday dropping to 10-11.

image.thumb.png.66ac7c487efdf3818b570cc24098869a.png

The splodge of low pressure it sitting just to the west of the UK, and not pushing into the south west. But it's in an exceptionally dangerous position. Latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.78e435e36783b963a6adee3d8804f508.png

SUNDAY

Another showery day, highs of 18-19.

Overnight temps into Monday of 11.

image.thumb.png.f4266af222b60ca6b426287f307da7dc.png

The low pressure bubble dissipates to this through Sunday, but remains off the west of the UK and badly affecting temperatures and conditions.

image.thumb.png.b126ce53d6df63d1fcb43ffa8d73364a.png

SUMMARY

A slightly strange run, because with that pocket of low pressure it really could have been a lot worse in terms of conditios.

However, with the rain around those temperatures of 17-18 will feel very chilly.

The runs remain all over the place.

See you in 6 hours.

• Thanks 2