Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

8 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Seeing Stevie Nicks would just make me wish it was Fleetwood Mac playing. 

Due to  my advancing years there are very few classic bands I havnt seen, Fleetwood Mac are one of them. Reckon Stevie would be incredible as the legend. Michael would also be really happy. 

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Due to  my advancing years there are very few classic bands I havnt seen, Fleetwood Mac are one of them. Reckon Stevie would be incredible as the legend. Michael would also be really happy. 

Lucky enough to see them in 2003 and 2013, the latter one Nicks when ballistic with someone on the front rows, 'how dare you ruin our beautiful night...etc', not sure what happened!

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Tom Jones has played 2 Sunday Teatime slots, 92 and 2009 but I guess the first one was before it was really a thing.

the first time was the first legend slot (forgot he'd done it twice). should realty be called the "Michael wants" slot.

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

the first time was the first legend slot (forgot he'd done it twice). should realty be called the "Michael wants" slot.

Guess it depends on how you define legends slot? I always figured the first 'Legends slot' (As in the first one in a consistent line of similar acts in the same Sunday slot) was James Brown in 2004.

Before that the fourth down on Sunday was Macy Gray (2003), Badly Drawn Boy (2002), Willie Nelson (2000), The Corrs (1999), Sonic Youth (1998)....and so on! 

3 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Guess it depends on how you define legends slot? I always figured the first 'Legends slot' (As in the first one in a consistent line of similar acts in the same Sunday slot) was James Brown in 2004.

Before that the fourth down on Sunday was Macy Gray (2003), Badly Drawn Boy (2002), Willie Nelson (2000), The Corrs (1999), Sonic Youth (1998)....and so on! 

2004 may have been where they firmed up and stuck to the exact placement, but it was a definite thing before. Ahead of 2004 I remember one of the previews (probably Q, given that's what I was reading) making a big deal about the "return of the legends slot" (having been omitted entirely in 2003).

If you look at the late 90s, most often it was 5th from top - which in terms of actual timings (due to an earlier curfew and longer changeovers) is the equivalent slot as you'd generally get today ie somewhere around 4pm.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

In the spirit of James the bands should do half their sets with the singer's off stage.

I only knew James Brown from old compilations and had never seen a picture of him, so I was confused why the bloke with the mic wasn’t doing any singing for the first 15 mins

6 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Willie Nelson's a bit of an outlier there, strange that he's never reappeared since the legends slot became a thing.

I'm at a genuine loss as to who it could be outside of Stevie Nicks, unless we've skewed on the younger side of sixty and under again. 

If in doubt, I turn to Wikipedia, with their handy list of the best-selling albums by women, and therefore have settled that it is either Shania Twain, Barbara Streisand, Carole King, Christina Aguilera, Hikaru Utada or Susan Boyle.

(It's Cher.)

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'm at a genuine loss as to who it could be outside of Stevie Nicks, unless we've skewed on the younger side of sixty and under again. 

If in doubt, I turn to Wikipedia, with their handy list of the best-selling albums by women, and therefore have settled that it is either Shania Twain, Barbara Streisand, Carole King, Christina Aguilera, Hikaru Utada or Susan Boyle.

(It's Cher.)

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Carole King

I really believe it should be Carole King. She's still touring. She's written many famous songs. She's as much a legend as Glastonbury's ever had!

You've Got A Friend, It's Too Late, I Feel The Earth Move, (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman, Will You Love Me Tomorrow?, I'm Into Something Good, Some Kind Of Wonderful, Beautiful, One Fine Day, Up On The Roof, Take Good Care Of My Baby, The Loco-Motion, etc.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Posting this hypothetical in here partly because I think it would be a toss-up between this slot or Pyramid headliner outright...

...but if there had been a Talking Heads reunion on the back of this year's Stop Making Sense flourish, where would they play here?

They wouldn’t and would most likely take the money somewhere else.