Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

If Heart put in an appearance (it wouldn't be Legend slot), it'll break my personal record for the longest gap between seeing an act. Working out just how long it is has depressed me no end, I think I'd rather they just didn't play so I'll never have to contemplate it again.

So about a month ago I posted this list collating all the female names who'd been mentioned in this thread and their current status - which I've now updated based on some recent changes. I've not factored style or perceived size into this - the only criteria was that they started more than 30 years ago and weren't suggested by The Nal.

Definitely viable:
- Chaka Khan - Playing Love Supreme the week after.
- Dionne Warwick - Last currently scheduled date is April.
- Gloria Gaynor - Last currently scheduled date is April.
- Shania Twain - 3 month gap between Vegas runs.
- Stevie Nicks - Extensive US tour ends in March, European dates not announced yet.

Status unknown:
- Annie Lennox - Has started to do bits and pieces recently after being inactive.
- Cher - New album of Christmas songs, but no scheduled dates.
- Cyndi Lauper - Active recently but nothing currently scheduled.
- Grace Jones - Active recently but nothing currently scheduled.
- Joan Armatrading - Active recently but nothing currently scheduled.
- Patti Smith - Last currently scheduled date is December.

Wishful thinking:
- Joni Mitchell - Did her first show in forever last year, then another this year. Huge question over logistics.
- Carole King - Rarely appears for more than a song or two, and nothing since January 2022.

Ruled out or extremely unlikely:
- Alanis Morissette - Not available due to other dates.
- Carly Simon - Last show was 2018.
- Celine Dion - Cancelled an extensive 2023/24 world tour for health reasons.
- Gladys Knight - Not available due to other dates.
- Kate Bush - No chance whatsoever.
- Tracy Chapman - Last show was 2009.

Edited by incident
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Always the one that saddens me. A huge omission from the Glastonbury history. 

Considering just how little she’s actually toured in her entire career it’s hard to be too upset over this one. It’s not like Prince who was touring all the time and so close but slipped right through their fingers. She literally just doesn’t tour.

3 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Considering just how little she’s actually toured in her entire career it’s hard to be too upset over this one. It’s not like Prince who was touring all the time and so close but slipped right through their fingers. She literally just doesn’t tour.

Yep.

Ultimately, I think we can very safely say that it's 100% her choice, and not that of the festival.

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

If Heart put in an appearance (it wouldn't be Legend slot), it'll break my personal record for the longest gap between seeing an act. Working out just how long it is has depressed me no end, I think I'd rather they just didn't play so I'll never have to contemplate it again.

Ann Wilson legend slot. Make it so, Number One

2 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Kate Bush would headline, anyway. No chance she’d do the legends slot.

don't think it would be impossible, probably less pressure with the legends slot. and less to put together for the show.

22 minutes ago, Neil said:

don't think it would be impossible, probably less pressure with the legends slot. and less to put together for the show.

Idk it's just as much pressure really, it would be huge if she did it.

She's just not gonna do either though.

8 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Idk it's just as much pressure really, it would be huge if she did it.

She's just not gonna do either though.

I agree its not going to happen but because she plays live so  

Infrequently 

there'd be lots of attention on her whatever slot she played I just thought there's less pressure without a headline show.

Not sure about all this Heart slander at all. Alone is an absolute 100% cold stone banger of unimaginably epic proportions, and it warrants them a slot based just on that. Ok the 80's stuff is all fairly dreadful otherwise, but there's some 70's bangers as well - barracuda and crazy on you are also Yossi's drawn straight from the top shelf. Heart please! 

54 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Not sure about all this Heart slander at all. Alone is an absolute 100% cold stone banger of unimaginably epic proportions, and it warrants them a slot based just on that. Ok the 80's stuff is all fairly dreadful otherwise, but there's some 70's bangers as well - barracuda and crazy on you are also Yossi's drawn straight from the top shelf. Heart please! 

They also usually some interesting covers that'd be fun at Glastonbury, Comfortably Numb, often a Zeppelin (Battle of Evermore/Stairway), The Boxer, etc.

Just so happens I watched them on Sky's Greatest Guitar Riffs the other night. (Not convinced Barracuda merits a greatest ever tho')

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

They also usually some interesting covers that'd be fun at Glastonbury, Comfortably Numb, often a Zeppelin (Battle of Evermore/Stairway), The Boxer, etc.

Just so happens I watched them on Sky's Greatest Guitar Riffs the other night. (Not convinced Barracuda merits a greatest ever tho')

they nicked that riff from a nazareth song, didnt they? I'm sure i saw something about that on a doc about stolen riffs