Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

17 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

What defines a "legend"?

The term is overused IMO.

Shania Twain is not a legend

You started asking what defines a 'legend' but then decided yourself that she's not a legend.

In my opinion, she's a legend. 

Shania Twain is the world's best selling female country music artist with 85 million record sales. 

3 x UK No 1 albums, active 30 years.

Taylor Swift has cited her as one of her most prominent musical influences - she was Taylor Swifting before Taylor Swift basically. 

But she's not playing the legend slot this year, that'll be Stevie.

i think 90% of glastonbury attendees would only know a couple of songs off Come On Over. That might well be enough to be a legend for a lot of people, but its really not a slot for me at all i suspect. Watching Bring Me The Horizon on the Other while the world were at Kylie is weirdly one of my favourite memories of the last couple of Glasto's. 

(and the Taylor Swift before Taylor Swift was Taylor Swift line is great, but she's equally as musically baffling to me 😆 for the life of me i dont see the attraction)

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

(and the Taylor Swift before Taylor Swift was Taylor Swift line is great, but she's equally as musically baffling to me 😆 for the life of me i dont see the attraction)

I'm sure we could all pick some mega artists/bands where we don't see the attraction but we have to be careful to not confuse 'that's not for me' with 'they are not worthy'. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've looked up the word "Legend" in the OED and it says nothing at all about playing a family friendly, mid-afternoon, showbiz slot on a Sunday afternoon at Worthy Farm  😟 

Does that mean mediocre C&W that sells well in the US is 👍 or 👎 then? 

7 hours ago, stuie said:

You started asking what defines a 'legend' but then decided yourself that she's not a legend.

In my opinion, she's a legend. 

Shania Twain is the world's best selling female country music artist with 85 million record sales. 

3 x UK No 1 albums, active 30 years.

Taylor Swift has cited her as one of her most prominent musical influences - she was Taylor Swifting before Taylor Swift basically. 

But she's not playing the legend slot this year, that'll be Stevie.

Garth Brooks has sold 170 million. Garth for legend 😂

55 minutes ago, km9 said:

Garth Brooks has sold 170 million. Garth for legend 😂

I think you're trying to be funny..

But if he was prepared to play that slot, then why not? I don't see how that'd be even vaguely controversial. Sure, he's not as big over here as he is in the US, but there'd still enough name value that'd lead to a curiosity factor and a big crowd.

It wouldn't excite me, and I'd be elsewhere, but I absolutely could see the Festival doing it. Don't think he would though.

3 hours ago, incident said:

I think you're trying to be funny..

But if he was prepared to play that slot, then why not? I don't see how that'd be even vaguely controversial. Sure, he's not as big over here as he is in the US, but there'd still enough name value that'd lead to a curiosity factor and a big crowd.

It wouldn't excite me, and I'd be elsewhere, but I absolutely could see the Festival doing it. Don't think he would though.

*moves picnic blanket, chair and flag well away from this crazy talk*

I don't even know one of his tunes, but plenty more stages to be at, would make a change for me to miss one. 

10 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've looked up the word "Legend" in the OED and it says nothing at all about playing a family friendly, mid-afternoon, showbiz slot on a Sunday afternoon at Worthy Farm  😟 

Playing that slot for a no taste audience who this time last year were saying cat wasn't suitable for that slot, meaning that slot is not the bad disco slot after all.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

Playing that slot for a no taste audience who this time last year were saying cat wasn't suitable for that slot, meaning that slot is not the bad disco slot after all.

What?

On 12/6/2023 at 5:43 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Garth Brooks doesn't have the UK hits that Shazza does. Apples and oranges.

(She has 9 top 10 singles and 3 number one albums, bawface has nothing).

As much as I definitely think she’s worthy, those stats aren’t the best metric either… that’s less than JLS!

Legend is an… aura 😉

Edited by king_oxymoron