Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

11 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I - genuinely - don’t get your point. 

If anyone on here is a litterpicker and you’re arriving before Wednesday you MUST bring your own high vis, because Critical Waste aren’t supplying them.

end of message. 

I don't get this either "Buying personal PPE is an absolute sh*t storm. It's usually rubbish and completely the wrong approach. "

That's us self employed trades peeps doing it all wrong then.

Because of my work I have a hi-viz in my car at all times, but it's the law that every driver has one in some countries

Any thoughts on this?

I'm delighted to have bagged a late oxfam place, and so is my other half who bagged a coach ticket last October. She's arriving with a friend on an early coach on wednesday and I'm just wondering about maybe moving my tent from the Oxfam field to camp with them. They're planning to camp near Woodsie's. I don't know my shifts yet so this may have a bearing on whether I do it.

Anything else I should consider?

41 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Officially it's a no. 

Questions would be asked if you were seen packing your tent away and taking all your stuff out of the field.

ok thanks, It would be nice to at least spend a night together if my shifts are favourable, but probably the only way to make that happen would be to take another tent (as it stands she's sharing a smallish tent with her friend so that would be a bit too cosy!)

Edited by kerplunk

1 minute ago, kerplunk said:

ok thanks, It would be nice to at least spend a night together if my shifts are favourable, but probably the only way to make that happen would be to take another tent (as it stands she's sharing a tent with her friend)

You could leave a tent and some of your gear in your car if you’re driving. Put what you require up in Oxfield. On Wednesday morning you could put a tent up by Woodsies and put the rest of your stuff in it. You could even take your partner’s friend’s tent and pitch it next to yours. Less for them to take on the coach and lots of Brownie points 

We've done this before, but have taken a second tent etc and have a base set up in Oxfield - it's very useful to go back to the Oxfield for showers and to catch up on sleep pre/post shifts, nice and quiet.

If you don't have a shift weds morning at gates opening you shouldn't have a problem leaving the field with tents/gear - lots of us take stuff to set up camp for friends/family, can't do it before gates opening but fair game after that.  I have never actually  been asked, but would just say that I'm setting up for friend who is arriving late if I were.

Agree that taking down a tent and packing away your gear would draw unwanted attention and could lead to significant problem.

With a bit of planning and discretion, yes it's against the rules, but very achievable and you won't be the only one.

36 minutes ago, tarw said:

You could leave a tent and some of your gear in your car if you’re driving. Put what you require up in Oxfield. On Wednesday morning you could put a tent up by Woodsies and put the rest of your stuff in it. You could even take your partner’s friend’s tent and pitch it next to yours. Less for them to take on the coach and lots of Brownie points 

Yes something like that perhaps. I'ver agreed to take some extras down for them already. If I don't know my shifts they'd better have their tent with them of course - I could be working wednesday morning which would blow it all out really

38 minutes ago, Debani said:

We've done this before, but have taken a second tent etc and have a base set up in Oxfield - it's very useful to go back to the Oxfield for showers and to catch up on sleep pre/post shifts, nice and quiet.

If you don't have a shift weds morning at gates opening you shouldn't have a problem leaving the field with tents/gear - lots of us take stuff to set up camp for friends/family, can't do it before gates opening but fair game after that.  I have never actually  been asked, but would just say that I'm setting up for friend who is arriving late if I were.

Agree that taking down a tent and packing away your gear would draw unwanted attention and could lead to significant problem.

With a bit of planning and discretion, yes it's against the rules, but very achievable and you won't be the only one.

Yes I'll probably take what I need to make it happen and have it on the car and play it by ear. Thanks

11 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

Yes something like that perhaps. I'ver agreed to take some extras down for them already. If I don't know my shifts they'd better have their tent with them of course - I could be working wednesday morning which would blow it all out really

Yes I'll probably take what I need to make it happen and have it on the car and play it by ear. Thanks

If you are on shift then you could drop the tents off with me at Spring Ground /Hitchin Hill if you want. 
I’m not on shift until midnight on Wednesday and they could collect the tents from me when they arrive 

Hi, does anyone know how easy it is to walk into Pilton from gate B prefestival?  I know it's not far, but is there a safe pedestrian route given there will be quite a bit of heavy site traffic using the lanes around there?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, kerplunk said:

I don't get this either "Buying personal PPE is an absolute sh*t storm. It's usually rubbish and completely the wrong approach. "

That's us self employed trades peeps doing it all wrong then.

Because of my work I have a hi-viz in my car at all times, but it's the law that every driver has one in some countries

I think I’m the only person out of our lot who’s not driven in France so I had a minor panic then robbed my first aider/fire marshall one off the back of my chair at work… it’s the crappest thing ever but it’s hi viz, it’ll do! 👍

6 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I think I’m the only person out of our lot who’s not driven in France so I had a minor panic then robbed my first aider/fire marshall one off the back of my chair at work… it’s the crappest thing ever but it’s hi viz, it’ll do! 👍

I’d wear it inside out in case you’re called on to administer first aid or put out fires. 

18 minutes ago, tarw said:

If you are on shift then you could drop the tents off with me at Spring Ground /Hitchin Hill if you want. 
I’m not on shift until midnight on Wednesday and they could collect the tents from me when they arrive 

That's very kind of you, but I don't want to make their arrival complicated. And I'm currently in negotiation about a potential switch to Big Ground/Kidney Mead 😁

2 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

That's very kind of you, but I don't want to make their arrival complicated. And I'm currently in negotiation about a potential switch to Big Ground/Kidney Mead 😁

No problem. It’s a 75% chance that you won’t be on shift then anyway 

59 minutes ago, tarw said:

I’d wear it inside out in case you’re called on to administer first aid or put out fires. 

I will. I can only just bear that level of responsibility when I’m actually in the office, let alone when I’m mildly inebriated in a field. 

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I will. I can only just bear that level of responsibility when I’m actually in the office, let alone when I’m mildly inebriated in a field. 

Mildly?  That’s very restrained 

Got the final briefing this morning. Still no mention of hi-vis jackets. Am I the only one who can't get the password for the portal to work? I've been assured it's correct. Nada on phone or desk top.

7 hours ago, Talcroft said:

From the training. Must arrive between 10am and 6pm.

You should've had this survival guide in May too. 

Glastonbury Survival Guide.pdfUnavailable

Doh! Knew I knew it from somewhere. Keep having these worryingly senior moments lately.

8 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Mark - I think the rule caught many by surprise - as after all GFL did not impose it at previous events.

My building { and another tower block - about 400 flats } is being decommissioned as it does not pass a building standard from 2022 { which is no surprise as they were built in the 70's } Came right out the blue and they are planning to hold Housing Needs Assessment interviews starting this month so I could not risk missing it - they have 5 Customer Transitions Advisors - only 1 I have met before. So lots of uncertainty and I don't have a timeframe so not a clue - where or when I will move.

so sorry but we will not have our Glasto drink this year. Send me a PM when you get back 

Aww Brian. I was honestly under the impression that you had called it a day with the festival. You fit and well again then? You're input is sorely missed around these parts.

Sorry to hear about your housing. Will raise a glass to you on site.

2 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Got the final briefing this morning. Still no mention of hi-vis jackets. Am I the only one who can't get the password for the portal to work? I've been assured it's correct. Nada on phone or desk top.

It just worked for me - check you haven't copied the space/ full stop?

16 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I've honestly tried everything. What is this portal then?

I've not bothered looking at it - we've had everything by email so I don't think it'll contain any secrets. Or hi-vis advice 😅