Toilet situation is a disgrace

zahidf

5 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

The urinals on the way to garden from woods near the lineup boards are always quick to use and arent really far from anywhere. There is rarely a big que for a lockable toilet there either.

they had urinals within the folly outside bit as well. 

compost toilets will, fairly obviously, be much cheaper than any chemical toilet that requires emptying and servicing.

i’ve never seen as much moaning about toilets than the attendees of EOTR. They are no better or worse than any other non corporate festival. Thats just a fact.

People expect a lot, its just a festival toilet, lower your expectations.

It's just that we've been before and we remember what they used to be like.

1 minute ago, Hooskerdoo said:

It's just that we've been before and we remember what they used to be like.

Well yes but expensive third party toilet providers are not coming back

imagine how much they cost and how much the margins on this festival must be razor thin.

if youre a man, use the urinals. There should be a few more but they are never far away as its not a big event.

15 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

The urinals on the way to garden from woods near the lineup boards are always quick to use and arent really far from anywhere. There is rarely a big que for a lockable toilet there either.

2 tiny urinals is grim

25 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

compost toilets will, fairly obviously, be much cheaper than any chemical toilet that requires emptying and servicing.

i’ve never seen as much moaning about toilets than the attendees of EOTR. They are no better or worse than any other non corporate festival. Thats just a fact.

Hmmm I don't think the toilets should be worse. And they got rid of most the urinals as well. 

If they are doing it to save money, then OK, but they deserve criticism for cutting corners

If they've increased the number of urinals from last year, then that would be better. But two sets of urinals for a featival with over 15k people is clearly inadequate 

3 hours ago, Memory Man said:

I'm actually finding it a tad feeble how much people are moaning about them. Never found myself too far from the urinals and had no issues with the thrones. They were far far far worse in 2021 and 22

15 minutes ago, robith said:

I'm actually finding it a tad feeble how much people are moaning about them. Never found myself too far from the urinals and had no issues with the thrones. They were far far far worse in 2021 and 22

OK, so it doesn't bother you. Good for you.

1 minute ago, robith said:

so, no discussion allowed then? okie dokie

Discussion on the merits or otherwise of the new toilets are fine

value judgments on people who dislike the current toilet situation, less so.

Its a lot of money to go the festival, i think its reasonable to expect more than an 'adequate' toilet provision.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Discussion on the merits or otherwise of the new toilets are fine

value judgments on people who dislike the current toilet situation, less so.

Its a lot of money to go the festival, i think its reasonable to expect more than an 'adequate' toilet provision.

Yet there was none when the doors were hanging off in 2021, or they were unusable by Sunday evening in 2022? Or that the same toilets are used at Green Man with almost no fanfare? Or that men pissing on the seat is apparently the festival's fault?

Think there's plenty to critique the festival over, but feel the relentless noise about the toilets and the shuttle buses (which was clearly a traffic issue they couldn't resolve) is a tad OTT and I'm sorry you feel bad me saying it, but I feel a bit like peope need to get a grip. Feel like we're a few days away from people petitioning their MP ffs

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, robith said:

Yet there was none when the doors were hanging off in 2021, or they were unusable by Sunday evening in 2022? Or that the same toilets are used at Green Man with almost no fanfare? Or that men pissing on the seat is apparently the festival's fault?

Think there's plenty to critique the festival over, but feel the relentless noise about the toilets and the shuttle buses (which was clearly a traffic issue they couldn't resolve) is a tad OTT and I'm sorry you feel bad me saying it, but I feel a bit like peope need to get a grip. Feel like we're a few days away from people petitioning their MP ffs

There are people who, for whatever reason, have more difficulties and/or anxieties about this aspect of festivals than you clearly do. To dismiss them all as feeble and pathetic is not a great look. 

11 minutes ago, Hooskerdoo said:

There are people who, for whatever reason, have more difficulties and/or anxieties about this aspect of festivals than you clearly do. To dismiss them all as feeble and pathetic is not a great look. 

I haven't dismissed them though, and never would, I've dismissed the people here, none of whom have expressed those issues for themselves personally - I think you're reaching a bit there to dismiss me by making me look bad because you don't like what I've said.

Edit to add - strange Green Man's forum doesn't experience the same volume of concern isn't it? Or that no one was fighting the accessibility fight in previous years? 

Edited by robith

15 minutes ago, robith said:

I haven't dismissed them though, and never would, I've dismissed the people here, none of whom have expressed those issues for themselves personally - I think you're reaching a bit there to dismiss me by making me look bad because you don't like what I've said.

Edit to add - strange Green Man's forum doesn't experience the same volume of concern isn't it? Or that no one was fighting the accessibility fight in previous years? 

So does everybody have to run their individual issue past you so you can judge whether they pass your feebleness test?

Just now, Hooskerdoo said:

So does everybody have to run their individual issue past you so you can judge whether they pass your feebleness test?

No. Does everyone have to run their POV past you to ensure it meets your standards? Also no. This is a fairly fruitless discussion

1 hour ago, robith said:

I wasn't their in 2021, so cant really comment on those

In 2022, it was definitely worse than previous festivals, but I'm not sure how they've improved things since. It was bearable though because they had enough urinals. 

Anyway, im happy to see if theyve improved things this year. An increase in urinal blocks would be a massive improvement, as well as better lighting. If things are better, i wont complain!

Its the fault of the festival when blokes piss on seats because::

1. There are no lights in the toilets

2. There aren't enough pissers so blokes have to use toilets (with seats) in the pitch dark. 

I don't need a seat when Im going for a piss

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Its the fault of the festival when blokes piss on seats because::

1. There are no lights in the toilets

2. There aren't enough pissers so blokes have to use toilets (with seats) in the pitch dark. 

I don't need a seat when Im going for a piss

Think The Nal hit the nail on the head.

After last year my wife said there are plenty of festivals we like the line ups for so why would I spend money to go to one where, in the pitch dark, I have to climb up slippery piss covered steps, try to wipe a piss covered seat before she can go and then have no proper way to wash her hands.

So in 2024 we’ve gone elsewhere and are waiting on reports before booking 2025.

As an aside, it’s interesting it only sold out the Monday before this year.

The compost loos are great.  But lighting is essential - especially away from camping areas where people won’t have torches to hand.

Men’s and women’s urinals are needed at Woods and Garden.  The queues in between sets at Woods are silly, and surely limit how much people spend at the bar, so bit of an own goal.

A few years ago there was a large Glastonbury style urinal (metal fencing, gutters, drain pipes) near Woods opposite Big Top.  Not sure why that disappeared.

I’m not sure fixing the issues is a money thing.  Possibly unawareness on part of the organisers.  Glastonbury have toilets & urinals totally sorted now to the point I don’t even give it a second thought (I’ve Crohn’s disease and typically need to use the toilets 4-6 times a day).  Green Man this year also pretty much sorted, although cleaning towards the end a bit dodgy - especially the women’s urinals my wife tells me.

For me, I expect this year will be another year of carrying travel johns and regular trips back to the caravan in the campervan fields.  But EOTR is still by far the best festival out there for me in terms of line up, atmosphere, size, fellow attendees, so I’ll be buying an early bird ticket next year regardless.

21 minutes ago, accordionandvoice said:

weird that this descended into bickering and animosity. bottom line is the compost loos are significantly worse than what the festival used to have (andyloos). they're worse for people who worry about hygiene and for reasons above they're worse for women, too. 

I apologise for getting drawn in to an argument. The use of the word "feeble" got to me. I shouldn't have let it.

• Like 1