2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

7 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It’s a way of getting a team of helpers together to help chances . 

And I think at this point it's worth pointing out - "let's have a group" or "make a spreadsheet" is absolutely f**king useless by itself. It only becomes a benefit if you can get everyone organised, and on the same page, with full participation.

Otherwise it very quickly becomes a negative, as has been seen in the past.

Just now, stuie said:

I still haven't seen any evidence of these bots securing hundreds of tickets.  They'd need access to masses of IP addresses too.  I've seen plenty of evidence of people just getting lucky and getting tickets. 

The same applies for groups of people as well though. They also need masses of IP addresses.

The reality is it's increasingly easy to simulate have a group of 64 people trying for tickets with a small set of remote bots. With the advantage that those bots don't all have to get their own tickets first before they try for you. But other than that, it's the exact same thing. It's probably what I'd do if I decided I really wanted to go again. 

And like you say, maybe that is working as intended. If I want to put that much effort in, I get rewarded with massively increased chances at getting a ticket.

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

As above, I don't see any evidence of gaming the system.   My group have never been in buying blocks apart from themselves and people they've recruited to help them. 

I'm confused by your post - are the online dorks the same people as the ever aging and jaded crowd and 'efesters'?
Or are you just gunning at everyone?

I would consider them both online dorks. My point is that currently efesters game the system by having large spreadsheets for buying with strangers, regardless of if they later become best pals, but more efficient and wider reaching discord groups are already setting up, in a few years this will become the only viable way to secure tickets.

(I posted last year about being able to pay on discord for what seemed guaranteed tickets and was basically lambasted on here, clearly it was more widespread this year, although some still seem to be in denial of the changing landscape)

3 minutes ago, incident said:

And I think at this point it's worth pointing out - "let's have a group" or "make a spreadsheet" is absolutely f**king useless by itself. It only becomes a benefit if you can get everyone organised, and on the same page, with full participation.

Otherwise it very quickly becomes a negative, as has been seen in the past.

for absolute definite ....  ours did very well because of this as did yours I imagine and my friends massive camping one 

Last year payment failure ( I was one of them) this year "backdoor" 

Always some ill feeling after ticket day.

I just cant see any better way to do it. 

If the backdoor problem was big or enough for their systems to be updated I am sure they will be for resale day.

If not we will all be taking IT lessons !!

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

for absolute definite ....  ours did very well because of this as did yours I imagine and my friends massive camping one 

I think most people who go now are organised into spreadsheets with whatsapp for comms....I was involved in an efests one that got me my tickets....I also know of two separate groups from the wider crowd/non efests that I know that go that had 6 pots of 6 in one and 3 in the other.....agreement for all three was that once your own ticket was secured you helped until all tickets were purchased.

For my money unless you're involved in something like that  these days, your chances are very slim of picking up a ticket.

Just now, Nick_ said:

Nope. You?

I have tried four times, but never been allowed tickets.

Yes loads....in the last few years the ante has been upped and you probably will need help from others or team up with other people to buy tickets as otherwise your chances are very small.

Good luck in the resales!

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I think most people who go now are organised into spreadsheets with whatsapp for comms....I was involved in an efests one that got me my tickets....I also know of two separate groups from the wider crowd/non efests that I know that go that had 6 pots of 6 in one and 3 in the other.....agreement for all three was that once your own ticket was secured you helped until all tickets were purchased.

For my money unless you're involved in something like that  these days, your chances are very slim of picking up a ticket.

What's the process for finding and joining one of these groups, making sure it's a kosher one, and protecting your finances?

9 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I would consider them both online dorks. My point is that currently efesters game the system by having large spreadsheets for buying with strangers, regardless of if they later become best pals, but more efficient and wider reaching discord groups are already setting up, in a few years this will become the only viable way to secure tickets.

(I posted last year about being able to pay on discord for what seemed guaranteed tickets and was basically lambasted on here, clearly it was more widespread this year, although some still seem to be in denial of the changing landscape)

can you link me to where you were lambasted please because I can't recall that happening , and the system is being gamed everywhere as you well know 

Just now, Nick_ said:

What's the process for finding and joining one of these groups, making sure it's a kosher one, and protecting your finances?

There are established groups on this forum and also the 'resale' thread that was created yesterday will have people looking to team up.

Ultimately its a trust thing with regards to finances, most people are on this forum year round so know and trust each other......last year for the resales people got through to reserve tickets and then had a small window to pay for it so that might alleviate your fears somewhat.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

The same applies for groups of people as well though. They also need masses of IP addresses.

The reality is it's increasingly easy to simulate have a group of 64 people trying for tickets with a small set of remote bots. With the advantage that those bots don't all have to get their own tickets first before they try for you. But other than that, it's the exact same thing. It's probably what I'd do if I decided I really wanted to go again. 

And like you say, maybe that is working as intended. If I want to put that much effort in, I get rewarded with massively increased chances at getting a ticket.

Agreed buddy. It's open season and fair game according to a few posters here. I only try for my family, 6 of us and have managed well enough over the years. Very organised, multiple ips, etc.

Last two years not managed to get off the holding page. Fair enough, we don't have a right to tickets and odds state you can't always be lucky. But some appear to be able to get tickets every year and I can't scale to the number of helpers using real humans. Resell is too risky as can only buy 4 tickets and my family plus partners total 6.

Thinking for next year 6 people trying is not going to cut it and fully intend to setup something to scale things and increased the odds. If I am thinking this you can bet many thousands more are too. Shame, but if that's how it is. 

Do I have the probability completely wrong? 😄 

If there is 500,000 people trying to connect to 1 spot. The chance of one of the 500k getting through is 500,000 to 1? Increasing the number just makes it harder for one of them to get through. 

Obviously if 1 group controls 10 of those people trying to connect then that groups chances become 50,000 to 1? The more people using more devices just makes it harder for everyone overall really?

I wish they could just lock it down to 1 device/connection per IP address or the such. Or make you log in and your payment details have to match the registration of lead booker. That would reduce the total traffic significantly no? which would also be a good thing for stability. 

27 minutes ago, stuie said:

They'd need access to masses of IP addresses too

Is this true?  I tested the throttler and found that if you access any faster than 60 times per minute (as previously mentioned on this thread) then I got throttled.  However using both a normal chrome tab and an incognito tab I was able to refresh both at that rate and neither got throttled.  Similarly by increasing the refresh rate on one of the sessions that one would be throttle and the other continued fine.

From that I'd infer that its throttled per session not per IP, so a bot could either simulate lots of unique sessions or create a new session for every attempt until successful then hold onto that session. Theres no limit to how many times you can "refresh" with either of those options. Caveat: my testing was done on saturday in preparation so its entirely possible they change the way it works when the sale is active

1 hour ago, danmarks said:

However people try to justify using hacks or whatever you want to call it -because you can - doesnt make it right. Because others are doing it and why not- doesn't make it right. Because the system is broken to people who know what they're doing doesnt make it right. People can justify anything to themselves if it enables them to get what they want but it ultimately stinks for those who havent got these advantages. 

Yes the people who are trying just in twos or solo would probably still miss out but a level playing field to start with at least would be fair.

Not sure anyone is justifying these - but even with some tickets being lost to them its a far better system than say, the ticketmaster randomised queue or a raffle

24 minutes ago, Nick_ said:

Sure, I got that, but what do the spreadsheets actually do?

The spreadsheet doesn't do anything, it's just a list of registration numbers and postcodes. If you get through to buy tickets you can copy/paste the details from the spreadsheet to save typing them (I even did this when I was just buying for 2, before I joined a group here).

The key thing with a bigger group is, if you (or someone else) manages to get your tickets, you keep going and try for the next people on the spreadsheet. Nobody stops until everyone has tickets or they've all sold out (& even then you don't trust the sold out tweet and keep trying!)

15 minutes ago, CurlyPutz said:

Thinking for next year 6 people trying is not going to cut it and fully intend to setup something to scale things and increased the odds. If I am thinking this you can bet many thousands more are too. Shame, but if that's how it is. 

This is the inevitable end. Personally I don't try for people I don't know

I see no difference from you setting up 100 bot connections to online groups of that size, and clearly people setting up those groups have no qualms with it so it'll just be exponential 

Edited by BBC7BBCHEAVEN

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Not sure anyone is justifying these - but even with some tickets being lost to them its a far better system than say, the ticketmaster randomised queue or a raffle

I see that asserted, but I think I disagree.  

Well, of course, it depends on the aim of the method of selling tickets.  

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think it's as justifiable as the large groups/syndicates. Both are at odds with the intent of how Glastonbury wanted the sale to go. The only difference is the server issues/IP stuff is easier to fix than the large groups issue.

Network engineering versus social engineering.