Pukkelpop 2024

Archi

@DDave I looked on Maneskin website for shows but didn't see this Japan show. Thanks for the info. And honestly, I'd love to see Hasley so it would be a nice replacement! But her tour plans are so weird - or maybe she asks too much - so I don't put my hope that high sadly. 

I thought about Macklemore but he's at Highfield Festival that day. Too bad KoRn are at Cabaret Vert... Anne-Marie? She's playing at Suikerrock next Friday then she's a 3 weeks gap before her show in Switzerland so she's around. I hope they won't take Pixies (they play the day before in Norway)...

19 hours ago, DDave said:

As it stands there'll be enough to keep me going on the Sunday but then again my best day is Friday. Jack White would have been an excellent replacement but doesn't look likely now. Unfortunately the festival has a track record of replacing cancellations with either much weaker names or acts from a completely different genre. I'm not saying it's easy finding replacements late in the day but Pukkelpop seems particular bad at it. Whether that's on purpose to save cash or not is a different matter. 

I think the best you can hope for at this stage is someone like Placebo, The National or at best Liam Gallagher. Or of course we could get Justice, which I'd be happy with and would go down well with the dance crowd who've bought tickets on the strength of Fred and CDW.  There's still a very good chance they'll have Editors or Oscar and the f**king Wolf as replacements. 

Anyway. It'll be my 10th Pukkelpop and my first for 5 years so I'm just looking forward to getting out there and getting stuck in lol

Wasn't aware they had such a bad track record of replacing. Im interested to see some bands on fri/sat but i bought the tix more because fest in on my birthday and sunday was strong enough. Placebo, National, Liam id be pumped for. Lana would be great too. Bands like Maneskin and Royal Blood just dont do it for me. If replacements are lame im very tempted to try and sell my weekend ticket and try lowlands instead as never been there. Let's see...

4 hours ago, gigi21 said:

If I had to place a bet, I say

Royal Blood + Editors.

But James Blake looks very likely indeed

Maybe too optymistic, but the fact that Becky Hill has been moved to Main Stage a few weeks ago, leaving the Dance Hall with only 4 acts announced, could also mean that James Blake has been booked to play in the Dance Hall like last times he came, if I remember correctly.

A final announcement with 3-4 solid names could be great.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

People have been hoping Oscar and the wolf won't show up.

They're heading a seperate fest in Belgium beginning of Aug so doubt that happening.

Breath of relief.

It's also only one of two days at Lokerse that has sold out out all it's day tickets for out of the ten nights, something the Prodigy, Massive Attack and Korn couldn't manage to do. 

I (sadly), wouldn't rule them out just yet. 

Edited by DDave

11 hours ago, Heisenberg pkp said:

Hard to say. 

I liked it the last time but it is not that big of a name.

I just hope it will fill the big indie gap there is now The Smile has dropped out.

I know The Smile is irraplacable, but I hope they take into account a to of their (older) fans. And not book yet another dance-y hype name. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Heisenberg pkp said:

The replacement for the smile isn't James blake or any band that is mentioned.

What can you say about the new Main Stage headliner and how many names left to announce?

4 hours ago, gigi21 said:

What can you say about the new Main Stage headliner and how many names left to announce?

I've heard rumors that it's difficult. The name they were working on has already been mentioned here. I don't know how many names they still have to announce.

• Upvote 4

It's a crap situation all round and reality is it's damage limitation now as people will be unhappy whatever they do.

I wasn't planning to see QOTSA or The Smile but it's obviously a big blow to lose them, both for their fans and for the festival itself. It's fairly unprecedented for two bands of this standing to cancel and I guess PKP are unlucky in that they're on the same day (which is also the only one not to sell out!). Despite what some people would have you believe, they will have been working on this well before word even broke of any possible cancellation but a big factor is they've also been in competition with all the other festivals that have found themselves in this position.

At some point, they will have made a decision to 'go for' one or two bands on their back up list but with obviously no guarantee of getting them. If one or both fall through then they've not only 'lost' those bands but also valuable time and the possibility of getting others who might have been available but are now booked by another festival. It's a gamble they will have had to take and who knows, maybe the pieces fell quickly and smoothly into place for some of the other festivals that have announced replacements but, for whatever reason, that wasn't the case for PKP? 

I say that but, like pretty much everyone else, I've got no idea what's gone on behind closed doors so will reserve judgement until hopefully Wednesday when we hear for certain? As others have said though, there's so much on the bill that it's not hard if you're prepared to put in a bit of research to find loads of good stuff to keep you busy!

On that note, let's share some of our 'finds' that help make PKP the amazing festival it is! For me, it's Glass Beams, NAFT, Slift and Ahadadream (amongst quite a few others!).

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2024 at 8:55 PM, Rico_Pliskin said:

Don't know if mentioned before Royal blood are free.

But nowhere near headliner level (and honestly the blandest kind of replacement I can think of 😅). Their prime was many years ago too. 

Edited by matrainertje
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SarahEmpre said:

Johnny Marr for The Smile slot.

Not clear about QOTSA replacement yet.

Replacing Jonny with Johnny. 

That would make me kind of happy! Nog as big as The Smile obviously but replacing legends with a legend is always a good thing. 

Edited by matrainertje

3 hours ago, Heisenberg pkp said:

I've heard rumors that it's difficult. The name they were working on has already been mentioned here. I don't know how many names they still have to announce.

We didn't mention so many bands here: Jack WhiteRoyal BloodOscar And The WolfEditorsHasleyAnne-MarieLCD Soundsystem, Placebo, The Prodigy, PixiesJustice... I think that's it. Hope an happy ending!