Glamping...how many

guypjfreak

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

And it's the fence, and elimination of the free for all, the "edge" and provision of space by the central festival for groups like Skip's that has led to them still having space (extremely valuable space) within the festival for the past 25 years.

I mean, his group are based in Dragon, which was public camping in the early 00s, and they (rightly) got the festival to reserve that space for them because of the work they do. But when someone who literally sits in a campervan, on a field that was previously public camping and was then fenced off and general public excluded, talks about how they agree we should all be in it together in general camping... it's just bizarre.

I'm fully aware I'm in a privileged position.

Took many years to get there though

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Doesn't seem to make you happy though. Most people would kill for your set-up and yet you still don't seem to like the place that much.

Nonsense

I love it, otherwise I wouldn't be on 25 and counting

I just love it for different reasons to most on here* (and some of the same reasons). It's a very different "game" for myself and most of my mates there.

I'll never fully understand the "punters" experience, you'll never fully understand mine. No fault either way, just the way it is.

* I've explained this several times on here.

Just now, Skip997 said:

Nonsense

I love it, otherwise I wouldn't be on 25 and counting

I just love it for different reasons to most on here* (and some of the same reasons). It's a very different "game" for myself and most of my mates there.

I'll never fully understand the "punters" experience, you'll never fully understand mine. No fault either way, just the way it is.

* I've explained this several times on here.

One page back you're literally saying that TV cameras ruined the vibe. This happened 30 years ago.

Might have been said... But I'd like to think that the cultural swap goes 2 ways. Yes the festival has had it's rough edges smoothed out but on the other hand team c****y mcC**t c**t are exposed to, for example, radical thinking, peaceful initiatives to the benefits the various traveller communities have had on our culture.  

For some people this will open their whole world view up for the better. I've been at the stone circle opening ceremony with a royal navy marine declaring peace in the east etc. never would he have done that without the festival.

It ain't perfect but it's something I reckon

• Upvote 2

Starting to think that what actually happened is that in the early 1990s there was a trustafarian fashion trend for middle class students to dress like members of The Levellers - dreads, German Army surplus coat, garish knits, tatty Docs, etc .

And that some people thought - and crucially *still* believe - that it represented a genuine counter-cultural underground.

When in reality all that happened was that Oasis came along and the same folk started wearing parkas and walking like chimps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Starting to think that what actually happened is that in the early 1990s there was a trustafarian fashion trend for middle class students to dress like members of The Levellers - dreads, German Army surplus coat, garish knits, tatty Docs, etc .

And that some people thought - and crucially *still* believe - that it represented a genuine counter-cultural underground.

When in reality all that happened was that Oasis came along and the same folk started wearing parkas and walking like chimps.

On the other hand, maybe I should thank you for this post.

It's clear that I need to get off my arse and write the book.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Go for it. 

Life was amazing and magical when I was young, but as I grew older the shine came off a bit: A Memoir

The current working title is; The Effect of the UK counter culture on the development of Glastonbury Festival

To most people an interesting history of the festival.

To Cal Gon, a fantasy novel.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The current working title is; The Effect of the UK counter culture on the development of Glastonbury Festival

To most people an interesting history of the festival.

To Cal Gon, a fantasy novel.

You've confused the point I'm making.

No-one's saying that the counter-culture didn't exist or significantly influence the festival - the late night areas in particular.

Just that travellers weren't the only people there and were in fact  probably significantly outnumbered by a broad demographic of students, music fans, activists, middle class folk slumming it and other ne'er-do-wells hoping to sell or buy drugs and get off their faces.

And that the latter section of the audience really hasn't changed that much - or been massively 'ruined' by the fact that it's televised.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Chimps, lol

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You've confused the point I'm making.

No-one's saying that the counter-culture didn't exist or significantly influence the festival - the late night areas in particular.

Just that travellers weren't the only people there and were in fact  probably significantly outnumbered by a broad demographic of students, music fans, activists, middle class folk slumming it and other ne'er-do-wells hoping to sell or buy drugs and get off their faces.

And that the latter section of the audience really hasn't changed that much - or been massively 'ruined' by the fact that it's televised. 

Fair enough.

By no means will I be focusing exclusively on "travelers". Many other sub/counter culture groups played a significant role.

5 hours ago, stuie said:

How have you got to that figure? I think it’s an overestimation. Just by counting? 

For example, this whole area is Oxfam and there are other crew camps outside.

IMG_0506.thumb.jpeg.3efba8e1565b299f7e5d4938886c0447.jpeg

I know, I excluded Oxfam, FMS and others. I’ve visited or walked past pretty much everything on the Eastern side, along Pyle Lane etc so I’m reasonably familiar with what’s what. I half-counted all those outside the fence that are ordered, pre-erected tents in rows and other accom. Of course I may have made mistakes! 

4 hours ago, stuie said:

Emily quotes the BBC partnership and the superfence as the two things that saved Glasto.  Without them, the vibe would be empty fields in the countryside vibe. 

Very true. Also the sad passing of Jean Eavis otherwise they were going to stop. Also , think it is Michael who said that lost Vagueness and the creation of the late night areas that help save it.

Going to be many factors. I love that they can keep evolving and make it an amazing experience for us all. 

Normally we arrive at the site in the middle of the night but this year we were in town a few days early and took a bus to Shepton. Amazed by the amount of off site glamping tents we passed on the way.  
calling worthy view glamping is a bit of a misconception, they are just regimented rows of pre erected tents. Not exactly glamping. 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Normally we arrive at the site in the middle of the night but this year we were in town a few days early and took a bus to Shepton. Amazed by the amount of off site glamping tents we passed on the way.  
calling worthy view glamping is a bit of a misconception, they are just regimented rows of pre erected tents. Not exactly glamping. 

Now come on … I saw you in the queue to have hair straightened 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Amazed!!

I was absolutely floored by the increase along the road to Glastonbury.

Looked to be at least twice as many as the previous year.

I really can't comprehend how anyone can be bothered going off site every night for a kip.

Imagine what a pain it'd be if you forget your stash or baccy or cash.

Edited by Skip997