2025 Headliners

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

On the flipside, no c**t is retiring these days, they just go on and on forever. Look at the 'upcoming gigs/tours' thread. It's a succession of old arthritic wizened f**kers who should be spending their days on the allotment or down the retired centre.

Absolutely 

Far too many old duffers around 

Even worse, loads of them were dreadful in their prime, never mind these days 

45 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'm loving all the hypothetical trios that could be mixed together between heritage or new stars, all different genres, something for everyone.

Fred/Rihanna/Green Day

Fender/O-Rod/Stevie W

Bruce/Eminem/Lady Gaga

Dave/Oasis/Madonna

Option 2, please Bob

The way culture is consumed and absorbed these days has changed. As a result there are very few “mega stars” that actually penetrate globally. Of the younger generation, you have Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, and then a few more upcoming. Pre-2010 I’d say, one/two huge albums and you were pretty much set for life. Things change.

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

Enter @Superscally......

hehehe.

I reckon what Galgon said about Stormzy is apposite here. Part of the excitement and thrill of music is the new, the unusual, the act that comes out and suddenly you get caught up in the manic thrill of it for a while. Do they all build on that initial promise, hell no, some of them go on to make awful album after awful album for the next couple of decades, but one of the intrinsic things about music, and football, and art or whatever is seeing that bright young thing emerge, full of promise and getting (over)excited about it, and getting swept up in the moment.

Is that a fad? Maybe, but rather that than hoary old dullards who've (dread phrase) 'paid their dues. That is the absolute antithesis of everything that's great about music. I want my pulse to race, i want to be infatuated, i want to feel like a wide eyed teenager again in love with all the possibilities. And if that means looking foolish a couple of years later so be it. Live a little, take a punt.

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

The whole Fred Again craze has definitely passed me by. Is he some sort of genius, or is he a fad? I'd appreciate an expert opinion 😊

Not many people know this but fred again took inspiration from Zac Efron after watching the oscar winning film "We Are Your Friends"

EDIT - I MADE ALL THAT UP

21 minutes ago, Mardy said:

hehehe.

I reckon what Galgon said about Stormzy is apposite here. Part of the excitement and thrill of music is the new, the unusual, the act that comes out and suddenly you get caught up in the manic thrill of it for a while. Do they all build on that initial promise, hell no, some of them go on to make awful album after awful album for the next couple of decades, but one of the intrinsic things about music, and football, and art or whatever is seeing that bright young thing emerge, full of promise and getting (over)excited about it, and getting swept up in the moment.

Is that a fad? Maybe, but rather that than hoary old dullards who've (dread phrase) 'paid their dues. That is the absolute antithesis of everything that's great about music. I want my pulse to race, i want to be infatuated, i want to feel like a wide eyed teenager again in love with all the possibilities. And if that means looking foolish a couple of years later so be it. Live a little, take a punt.

I wholeheartedly believed MGMT were going to change the landscape of modern music. 

Didn’t quite pan out. 

Although could be worse, a mate of mine has never lived down the quote “The Kooks are the most important band since The Libertines”.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

The whole Fred Again craze has definitely passed me by. Is he some sort of genius, or is he a fad? I'd appreciate an expert opinion 😊

if you’ve not already, I’d say watch his Glasto Other stage set.  Then  watch his Reading set to give an idea what his headline set would be like. The bloke has talent in abundance. But will we all be bored in a year? Who knows. 

33 minutes ago, Mardy said:

hehehe.

Great post. 

40 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

Depends what you're looking for. His music has two sides really. The moody, introspective, James Blake influenced stuff and then the big, feelgood 'hugging your mates' tracks. If you're looking for something that's fairly easy-going and light, his music is perfect. He samples voice-notes by his friends, instagram lives, stuff like that.

I'm not a massive fan of Fred, but some of his tracks are pretty good. 

That's probably where to start if you are actually interested.

3 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Depends what you're looking for. His music has two sides really. The moody, introspective, James Blake influenced stuff and then the big, feelgood 'hugging your mates' tracks. If you're looking for something that's fairly easy-going and light, his music is perfect. He samples voice-notes by his friends, instagram lives, stuff like that.

I'm not a massive fan of Fred, but some of his tracks are pretty good. 

That's probably where to start if you are actually interested.

Not for me but i think they've Glastonbury book him now before he fades.

With fred again id say its just a more emotional experience than your standard dance music. im no expert on dance / electronic music but it just moves me in a way most dance music does not. cant really quantify it anymore than that and clearly many others feel the same. More so the Actual life series of albums than the new one. 

Edited by TiZuff

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

I wholeheartedly believed MGMT were going to change the landscape of modern music. 

Didn’t quite pan out. 

Although could be worse, a mate of mine has never lived down the quote “The Kooks are the most important band since The Libertines”.

Me too. I saw a couple years back a YouTube video claiming that MGMT did Oracular Spectacular as a bit of a joke, then it blew up.

Absolutely love MGMT still to this day -   I wish they would tour,  last album was great !

I saw them at Glastonbury last time and it was packed - thought the crowd was a bit sh*t,  People were getting grumpy when tracks were not all the 2-3 songs they know which as great as Time to pretend and a few others are they probably not a great representation of the overall sound of the band.  

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

hehehe.

There's been a fair few acts I've seen in relatively small venues and thought to myself, "this is the last time they play somewhere this small, it'll be arenas next year." Then it turns out that was the biggest venue they would play.

Just now, Gnomicide said:

There's been a fair few acts I've seen in relatively small venues and thought to myself, "this is the last time they play somewhere this small, it'll be arenas next year." Then it turns out that was the biggest venue they would play.

I always thought the Maccabees would go on to be something big.  But not only did it not happen - they basically tapped out on there career well early