2025 Headliners

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Fred / Eminem / Stevie actually doesn't seem that outlandish and does - as the saying goes - have something for everyone.

Personally would find it a bit regressive to go all male headliners

Just now, clarkete said:

They can only play the cards they're dealt.

What I expect they wouldn't do again is take a punt on a lesser known quantity like SZA and assume it's a case of 'build it and they will come'.

9 minutes ago, clarkete said:

If it were three blokes at the top, there'd still be a huge stack of female acts across all the other stages. 

But who would you switch out and for whom? Rhianna is back in the studio. Madonna and Taylor want the big bucks. Can't see Beyonce returning. Lady Gaga or O-Rod maybe?

There are options but they've got to get the people who are available to them.

Given Emily’s stance on trying to get more female headliners, I’d be shocked if they book 3 male headliners especially so close to 2023.
With Rihanna, I did see she said it would be crazy to not release an album in 2023. I think in a Vogue interview just after the Super Bowl, perhaps. 
Same year as the rumoured Glastonbury booking. Then fell pregnant. Delaying an album/tour cycle.

If she’s about next year, I think she’s our best bet. Presume if she tours in 2025, dates would be announced by the end of the year. That could give us some kind of clarity. 

Time will tell. 

34 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

If it were three blokes at the top, there'd still be a huge stack of female acts across all the other stages. 

But who would you switch out and for whom? Rhianna is back in the studio. Madonna and Taylor want the big bucks. Can't see Beyonce returning. Lady Gaga or O-Rod maybe?

There are options but they've got to get the people who are available to them.

I don't doubt they'd have other stuff further down, but they still surely want to see at least one female centred act on the top of the biggest stage?  

That being said I tried to mix it up this year and be prepared to walk further between a wider variety of stages to try and catch the acts I wanted to and saw loads of stuff I really liked (including plenty I hadn't seen before) - Arxx, Lambrini Girls, Moonchild Sanelly, Remi Wolf, Fontaines, Kneecap, Simz, Billy Nomates, Gossip, Lottery Winners, Bob Vylan. 

All markedly younger than my grizzled old chops, a great mix of diversity, but most importantly put on a cracking show.

I did see a fair chunk of oldies I really enjoyed too - plenty of nostalgia for me seeing Heaton or Bragg after 30-40 years.

38 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I don't doubt they'd have other stuff further down, but they still surely want to see at least one female centred act on the top of the biggest stage?  

That being said I tried to mix it up this year and be prepared to walk further between a wider variety of stages to try and catch the acts I wanted to and saw loads of stuff I really liked (including plenty I hadn't seen before) - Arxx, Lambrini Girls, Moonchild Sanelly, Remi Wolf, Fontaines, Kneecap, Simz, Billy Nomates, Gossip, Lottery Winners, Bob Vylan. 

All markedly younger than my grizzled old chops, a great mix of diversity, but most importantly put on a cracking show.

I did see a fair chunk of oldies I really enjoyed too - plenty of nostalgia for me seeing Heaton or Bragg after 30-40 years.

That's a great haul of bands. Jealous of quite a few of those, Remi Wolf and Billy Nomates especially.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If it is Marshall Mathers and Fred then they'll likely be going after some sort of rock act for the third slot.

Christ. It really does need to be Bruce.

After the 2023 controversy its not going to be three white guys again for at least a few years. Fred - Olivia - Eminem could be right, or Fred - Olivia - Bruce

I think they would be up for Fred - Eminem / Bruce - Stevie Wonder tbf, whatever happened to those rumours? 

5 minutes ago, nectarofthegods said:

After the 2023 controversy its not going to be three white guys again for at least a few years.

And yet - it could be, very easily.  In a world where they have unlimited options it wouldn't / shouldn't be.  But we're not in that world.

For all the 2023 'controversy', it didn't result in an unfortunate poor showing like happened on the Sunday of this year.  Or in newspaper headlines like:

https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/everyone-is-saying-the-same-thing-about-the-worst-ever-glastonbury-lineup-426585

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And yet - it could be, very easily.  In a world where they have unlimited options it wouldn't / shouldn't be.  But we're not in that world.

For all the 2023 'controversy', it didn't result in an unfortunate poor showing like happened on the Sunday of this year.  Or in newspaper headlines like:

https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/everyone-is-saying-the-same-thing-about-the-worst-ever-glastonbury-lineup-426585

There's a headline for every occasion...

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/glastonbury-festival-oasis-2004-liam-gallagher-b2568466.html

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I mean - that's about a specific Oasis performance - which everyone agrees was a hot mess.

Indeed, but regarding that Joe link:-

1.  "JOE is a social media lifestyle network serving the interests, passions and curiosities of the modern man.

Our content is specially tailored to serve and supplement the everyday debates, distractions and actions of 18-35 year-olds in the UK through powerful, original and thought-provoking media."

2.  Clearly they was in March, so before the full release.

3.  Even the commenters they quoted I was surprised to see uncredited, even if they partially anonymised.  I don't doubt there were plenty to say similar - there were certainly plenty among the "better in my day" types on FB, there were here, but there were plenty of positives after the poster too.

And yet - if you look at the HTML source code of joe.co.uk you'll find that...

And yet, my point stands. 

In the unlikely chance that they all offered their services for next year at an affordable rate there's no way that Emily is knocking back, say, Oasis, the Stones and the Boss to instead sweat blood trying to book a less popular but more diverse line-up.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:no way that Emily is knocking back, say, Oasis, the Stones and the Boss to instead sweat blood trying to book a less popular but more diverse line-up.

Might help the SE corner crowds by sending people to sleep 🛌 or maybe increase the SE corner crowds with an early influx 

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Fred / Eminem / Stevie actually doesn't seem that outlandish and does - as the saying goes - have something for everyone.

Doesn’t pass the gender equality sniff test. No way Emily would allow all three headliners to be men. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I bet she would to avoid a repeat of the SZA situation.

Given her remarks over the last couple of years, I disagree. I think O-Rod has to be in the mix, hopefully at the expense of Fred. 

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Doesn’t pass the gender equality sniff test. No way Emily would allow all three headliners to be men. 

In fairness, this is a diverse set of headliners in every way apart from gender.  If the fest/EE are concerned abut the optics of all male/straight then I get it, but what if - as suspected - O-Rod is back off the road and there's no other female option?

Just now, kalifire said:

Given her remarks over the last couple of years, I disagree. I think O-Rod has to be in the mix, hopefully at the expense of Fred. 

Would be interested in a post-match interview with Emily to get her thoughts on the SZA sitch - but it's clear indicator that you can't just book anyone and assume that the numbers will be there.

Not that O-Rod is a like-for-like with SZA - I think she'd get a decent crowd.

But I think there's already been some intel that Fred is a lock.  And now that's coupled with the 'Eminem has the offer' and the 'Stevie at BTS' intel, I dunno if I'd put O-Rod towards the top of the likely list given the circumstances

Too soon to take any of it to the bank, mind.