2025 Headliners

3 hours ago, Slugy said:

Whether its wrong or not but surely you can't argue against Rihanna imprint on pop, modern culture and music as a whole that we are literally still seeing the effects of now. As much as Eminem definitely had a massive impact on the genre and what could be considered chart music for that era he hasn't exactly been the shining beacon for the whole genre as much as the people you left off your "legends" list. If any thing Eminem as done the opposite past his prime.

Rihanna is a pop artist, Eminem is a rap/hip hop artist by actual genre. They've done some collaborations on songs but I don't remember Rihanna ever doing the rap parts. Rihannas numbers don't even come close to that of Eminem. He didn't have to cancel his own tour that's for sure.

3 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Okay...

It's incorrect.

There.

Time to wake them old boots up and realize you were dreaming!

52 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I was at an age when Eminem came out it, he was the cool artists to listen to -  and certainly his first two albums were "all the rage".  However I lost interest very quickly on the 3rd album onwards - not a fan of that stuff - and now looking back ive kind of not got the same love i had for the first two albums that i first had.

The discovery of Eminem did however cause me to go backwards and listen to acts like 2pac - who is far superior so I guess i have to thank him for being a gateway rapper of sorts.

personally Kendrick Lamar is the greatest rapper of all time, think he has surpassed those that came before him, not many artists produce that many 10/10 albums as he does - (IMO)

Honourable mention to Little Simz who is absolutely killing it at the moment a swell 

I think also it can be said Eminem newer stuff just like with other artists, it's much easier to just use Spotify.

Kenny obviously hasn't done the numbers Eminem has, but again he's been around in a different era.

I'm not big hip hop/rap fan really so, even less so now so Kenny isn't for me. Eminem was the thing when I was growing up and obviously Dre but a bit before. He did as you say open a world up for people to go and listen to others artists they might not consider, like I listened to 2 Pac. I listened to like bit of 50 Cent as he was heavily in my youth, and bits of The Game but not much.

I'm not sitting here telling people you must see Eminem as the best, not at all. But it cannot be mistaken his status is music as a whole, not just on the rap and hip hop scene. What's he's done for music, what he's opened people up to and what he can still sell. He is undoubtedly a legend of the game though.

4 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

From what I understand they had her booked in and the fee wasn't the problem - then at a later date Madonna decided the Pyramid stage was not big enough for her (in terms of physical space). To recreate her show so she pulled out.  

That sounds to me like she's bottled it. No sane person pulls out of headlining Glastonbury on that basis. 

20 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

That sounds to me like she's bottled it. No sane person pulls out of headlining Glastonbury on that basis. 

Not saying your wrong but why would she bottle it?  She's played to bigger crowds and just done an 80 date tour and ended up playing in front on 1m people on Copacabana beach just before Glasto.

Eminem has his place in the rap pantheon, but as mentioned there are an absolute sh*t ton of heavy hitters out there with a more consistent catalogue.  I just think that the slim shady act lost its shine after the Marshall Mathers LP and everything from the third album onwards was a decline in the standard of his work.  He's carried on turning out the occasional track that's truly worth listening to but they've been hidden amongst whole albums of dross.  If he'd leant more into the social commentary and less into the middle-school level jokes I'd have had more reason to listen.

36 minutes ago, stuie said:

Not saying your wrong but why would she bottle it?  She's played to bigger crowds and just done an 80 date tour and ended up playing in front on 1m people on Copacabana beach just before Glasto.

If you can think of a logical reason why she'd flounce after agreeing to do it then i'm all ears. 

39 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Eminem has his place in the rap pantheon, but as mentioned there are an absolute sh*t ton of heavy hitters out there with a more consistent catalogue.  I just think that the slim shady act lost its shine after the Marshall Mathers LP and everything from the third album onwards was a decline in the standard of his work.  He's carried on turning out the occasional track that's truly worth listening to but they've been hidden amongst whole albums of dross.  If he'd leant more into the social commentary and less into the middle-school level jokes I'd have had more reason to listen.

I think the thing is that the middle school jokes are the social commentary

10 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

If you can think of a logical reason why she'd flounce after agreeing to do it then i'm all ears. 

IF she agreed to it and pulled out then I'd guess it was due to it being too difficult/expensive to adjust the show for smaller stages. 

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Still looking to hear more about the talks with Madonna getting as far as her actually agreeing to do it 

Sometimes spurious guesses become fact and folklore!

2 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

I just find it a bit weird when people say they don't like rap/hip hop but then like Eminem, just makes me think why Eminem?

Does there have to be a reason? The likeliness is that people born way before me for example with see 2 Pac and such as the untouchable and unbeatable. Until my sisters partner at the time was listening to Eminem at the time and I listened to a bit I wasn't interested and that was kinda the starter.

My music went from clubland/happy hardcore kinda thing with nu-metal as well as LB and LP were the rage at the time in school. I don't mind a bit of Jay-Z but when I got into music more and festival music I guess like, I was into indie bands. People like Cypress Hill for example didn't interest me. 

Thing is you can not be that into a certain genre but someone is out there you find appealing.

9 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Knowing how unforgiving Glastonbury are.   I think Madonna is probably OUT forever 

Had no idea she pulled out so far down the line for such BS. I mean, she's a single singer, if she can't fit onto that stage for a one off show then her ego is even greater than I thought.

4 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

I just find it a bit weird when people say they don't like rap/hip hop but then like Eminem, just makes me think why Eminem?

I doubt anyone likes Eminem but doesn't like other hip hop. The amount of collabs he's done would mean almost by proxy that they'd like Dr Dre, Snoop, some 50 Cent and D12. Then you've got other main streamers like Tupac, Puff Daddy (or whatever his bloody nomenclature is these days)...

7 hours ago, On The Blend said:

Let's not pretend that Eminem isn't a super important figure in the modern history of hip hop.

F.D Signifier did a great video about the white commodification of black art and I think seeing Eminem as a significant turning point in the mainstream adoption of hip-hop is super reasonable. Link here: 

Really like this Signifier analysis. Also, really happy that Brother Ali gets a mention cos I saw him back in 2010 on West Holts and it was glorious.

9 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Didn’t he bring on his daughter Violet to sing with him on a previous gig? This time we might get a metal version of rock a bye baby😉

Happened quite a few times in the summer when they were here. Although the Cardiff show I caught didn't have that.

We did Taylor Hawkins' son join and play drums for a first album song. That was cool.