2025 Headliners

16 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'm loving all the hypothetical trios that could be mixed together between heritage or new stars, all different genres, something for everyone.

Fred/Rihanna/Green Day

Fender/O-Rod/Stevie W

Bruce/Eminem/Lady Gaga

Dave/Oasis/Madonna

Always my favourite way to approach. Know I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but you want:

Friday: Your rising star, with a commercial breakthrough. Arena-filling, with some currency, and preferably homegrown. (Sam Fender / Dave / The 1975.)

Saturday: Your modern-day chartfiller, with multi-night arena or stadium pedigree to match, capable of packing them in. (Harry Styles / Rihanna / Lady Gaga.)

Sunday: Your heritage headliner. Likely still a multi-night arena or stadium artist, but one who has the catalogue that spans back more than two decades and can work an all-ages crowd like seasoned pros. (Madonna / Green Day / Billy Joel.)

3 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

A man can dream.

I drift in and out of these threads like the seas, so I have some catching up to do.

I know chart positions aren't everything, but quite surprised by how badly Wild God has flopped.  In at #5 for one week and then sunk like a stone.  I thought physical sales would have kept him buoyant but clearly not.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I know chart positions aren't everything, but quite surprised by how badly Wild God has flopped.  In at #5 for one week and then sunk like a stone.  I thought physical sales would have kept him buoyant but clearly not.

Yeah, I'm disappointed - though had Oasis not reunited, it would have been at #2 and probably more close-run.

The lack of longevity maybe suggests that people have reached the stage where they want to see him as a "hits" artist - but the sales for the First Direct Arena show in Leeds were really slow last time I looked. Kind of gutting.

4 hours ago, nikkic said:

a mate of mine has never lived down the quote “The Kooks are the most important band since The Libertines”.

😄 

i love it when people describe bands or artists as 'important' -  really? bloody hell, its music! its fun, its enjoyment, hedonism, its all of that quote by mardy up there - dont take it seriously or you end up with hideous boring Pink Floyd serious nonsense! As soon as an artist becomes 'important' they lose any and all of their appeal! 

9 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Yeah, I'm disappointed - though had Oasis not reunited, it would have been at #2 and probably more close-run.

The lack of longevity maybe suggests that people have reached the stage where they want to see him as a "hits" artist - but the sales for the First Direct Arena show in Leeds were really slow last time I looked. Kind of gutting.

Yeah - the Hydro looks like it's struggling as well.  Seems the bubble has burst on the wee groundswell he had a few years back and he hasn't quite crossed over to the Dylan / Cohen Mojo boomers market the way some thought he would.  Coupled with turning off a chunk of his OG fanbase with his reactionary politics it's fair to say he's sliding back into the sort of position where even Other Headliner is a bit of a leg up.