Yip.

Contenders are:

Lady Gaga if she's back in action

Liam

Green Day

Outside chance of The Boss...

Possibly The Final Ever Pulp Show

Who else?

I'd like to say Billy Joel, but I'm pretty sure that's just wishful thinking on my part rather than any chance the festival would get him.

On 7/17/2024 at 5:45 PM, matrainertje said:

Nick Cave headlining is not going to happen, but just for fun: a fantasy setlist, as Pyramid proof as it gets. Strings and a 3 headed choir on stage, to reflect the sound of the new album. Maybe Colin Greenwood on bass. 

1. Do You Love Me?

2. There She Goes, My Beautiful World

3. <new song>
4. Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow

5. Jubilee Street

6. From Her To Eternity

7Deanna

8. O Children

9. <new, orchestral song>

10. Where The Wild Roses Grow (with Kylie Minogue)

11. The Ship Song

12. The Mercy Seat

13. Red Right Hand
14. Wild God

14. Henry Lee (with PJ Harvey)
15. The Weeping Song (with PJ Harvey)

16. Stagger Lee (audience on stage)

17. Frogs (audience on stage)

18. Into My Arms (Nick solo)

There's no way he's ever playing a set without 'I Need You' again I'd say, especially in this fantasy world where he's headlining the Pyramid

Sadly he never plays Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow as that is an underrated classic

I wish he'd play Rings of Saturn more, he brings it out on occasion but not nearly enough imo

15 hours ago, Suprefan said:

O Rod could be in stadiums right now. Sabrina couldnt.

I’m sorry, I appreciate I’m in my 40’s, but “jus”?! Mate. We’ve all agreed on the f**king language. It’s one letter out. Make some effort.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joey Peeps said:

Is the consensus that there was some substance to the Eminem rumours this time? If so seems like they're possibly trying to lock in the final piece having secured the first two - Rodrigo and Fred? I'd be elsewhere for Mr Mathers but Gaga though would be one for the ages (can't see it unfortunately). 

The rumour has been floating about for a few years now and it's never come to anything, no matter how many hotels in Bristol have been booked under M. Mathers or Mr Eminem.

1 hour ago, incident said:

I'd like to say Billy Joel, but I'm pretty sure that's just wishful thinking on my part rather than any chance the festival would get him.

I would love to see him on the farm too, but isn't he all about the money and private helicopters and avoiding taxes and sh*t?

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Last weekend, in the spirit of open-mindedness, I listened to some Eminem for the first time in about 20 years.  Hoo boy.

How did that work out for you?

I stuck the Marshal Mathers LP on a few weeks back.  There has been very little he has released since that record, just a handful of tracks, that I've considered serious music worth any attention.  

7 minutes ago, Spindles said:

How did that work out for you?

I stuck the Marshal Mathers LP on a few weeks back.  There has been very little he has released since that record, just a handful of tracks, that I've considered serious music worth any attention.  

Lose Yourself sounds good, but most of the rest of it has dated badly. Technically excellent rapping, but otherwise largely painful to listen to.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Lose Yourself sounds good, but most of the rest of it has dated badly. Technically excellent rapping, but otherwise largely painful to listen to.

I would argue that it hasn't dated badly, it was always like that. For large sections of the population anyway.

The first couple of records were genuinely innovative, there is no doubting his talent for me.  But the later career a combination of the novelty comedy bullshit, a reliance on guest artists and the homophobia/misogyny makes most of it unlistenable as far as I'm concerned.

Even without listening to the new record I have a predisposition to thinking of it as being something like Bat out of Hell II, a cheap attempt to leverage the one record that really gained mass attention and was followed by a career of ever diminishing rewards.

25 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I would argue that it hasn't dated badly, it was always like that. For large sections of the population anyway.

Sorry - was meaning more the tunes themselves and the production.  Obviously a lot of the content is rancid too.

However, not sure it's rancid enough for the powers that be to see it as a blocker to booking him.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Even without listening to the new record I have a predisposition to thinking of it as being something like Bat out of Hell II, a cheap attempt to leverage the one record that really gained mass attention and was followed by a career of ever diminishing rewards.

I listened to a bit of it - and yeah - it's garbage. The Houdini single is painful.

However, BOOH2 has Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through on it, which absolutely owns.

• Upvote 1

Personally I reckon it’s some sort of combo of the following:

Eminem

Olivia Rodrigo

Lady Gaga

Stevie Wonder

Fred Again

Sam Fender

Dave

The combo of which 3 I think depends on variables like how desperate EE is for a female weighted line up (we’re definitely getting one headliner, just whether it will be two). And how much they saved on the Lipa, Coldplay, SZA combo this year. 

Obviously there’s certain artists there where we’re not getting both (it won’t be Dave & Fender or Dave & Eminem for obvious reasons).

Does anyone know when O-Rod’s tour finishes, or has it already, because if it’s running till December I could see her doing Glasto but if it finishes say next month then she may be too busy in the studio by next June.

My best guess right now is:

Fri: Sam/Fred

Sat: Gaga

Sun: Eminem

Just now, adam22 said:

Personally I reckon it’s some sort of combo of the following:

Eminem

Olivia Rodrigo

Lady Gaga

Stevie Wonder

Fred Again

Sam Fender

Dave

The combo of which 3 I think depends on variables like how desperate EE is for a female weighted line up (we’re definitely getting one headliner, just whether it will be two). And how much they saved on the Lipa, Coldplay, SZA combo this year. 

Obviously there’s certain artists there where we’re not getting both (it won’t be Dave & Fender or Dave & Eminem for obvious reasons).

Does anyone know when O-Rod’s tour finishes, or has it already, because if it’s running till December I could see her doing Glasto but if it finishes say next month then she may be too busy in the studio by next June.

My best guess right now is:

Fri: Sam/Fred

Sat: Gaga

Sun: Eminem

Not sure the finances carry over like that year to year . ? Wouldn’t have thought they’d save money one year just to blow budgets the following year … might be wrong though

2 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

How do you mean the fact he became probably the biggest mainstream rapper ever, I’d suggest a large section loved his stuff. 

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I listened to a bit of it - and yeah - it's garbage. The Houdini single is painful.

However, BOOH2 has Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through on it, which absolutely owns.

If you actually breakdown what he says in Houdini etc what he’s saying & how he raps he still is best yes it’s got a bit of cheesey hook but the whole point of the album is that “slim shady” alter ego is is poking fun at the overly PC world, and if he wasn’t being cheesey the PC crowd would have him cancelled 

Edited by Waccoe

1 minute ago, Waccoe said:

If you actually breakdown what he says in Houdini etc what he’s saying & how he raps he still is best yes it’s got a bit of cheesey hook but the whole point of the album is that “slim shady” alter ego is is pooking fun at the overly PC world, and if he wasn’t being cheesey the PC crowd would have him cancelled 

No idea how intelligent people fail to see this.

47 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's a concept that could be understood by a kid in primary school. The issue is it's realised via music that is utter f**king bobbins.

Again I’ll agree that the hook is cheesy but the actual rapping and how it’s put together is still as good as he ever was. 

I’m no rap expert & I prefer his more serious tone but having a seen a few reviews on his songs he’s definitely still one of the greatest ever to do it. 

Kill shot diss song of machine gun Kelly is another example of him being able to out rap anyone 

https://youtu.be/Xu82JMHNnGA?si=I0jeMyn9c99PQW7

Edited by Waccoe

I mean we're all armchair fans with subjective tastes, but when Jay-Z, 50-Cent, Busta Rhymes, Kendrick Lamar, Lil Wayne, Drake, J.Cole all say Eminem is one of the best rappers of all time, one of the best lyricists, or greatest influences on their own music, I reckon his music is probably still pretty decent and a worthy headliner. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Not sure the finances carry over like that year to year . ? Wouldn’t have thought they’d save money one year just to blow budgets the following year … might be wrong though

Would've thought that everyone else playing on the bill might well suck up a part of the budget too tbf.