2025 Headliners

3 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

You're the one who has included yourself in all of my criticisms. I didn't pay much attention to who said what, just that it was said. If this doesn't involve you, don't worry about it. What did they direct at you? I'll happily condemn it if it makes you feel better.

In the thread of the conversation I could only see I was one of two people who had responded to them before you mentioned ganging up on them, hence why it seemed to pretty directly correlate.

You seem to be very specific about what those of a differing view said, but not what the person you were defending had said, nor even who they were.

The reason I responded to you was, as I've indicated before, I felt that I'd gone to some lengths to be diplomatic in my response to them and to engage with the specific content of their point.

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

In the thread of the conversation I could only see I was one of two people who had responded to them before you mentioned ganging up on them, hence why it seemed to pretty directly correlate.

You seem to be very specific about what those of a differing view said, but not what the person you were defending had said, nor even who they were.

The reason I responded to you was, as I've indicated before, I felt that I'd gone to some lengths to be diplomatic in my response to them and to engage with the specific content of their point.

So...what did they say to you that you want me to blast them for?

23 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Checks thingy …. And yep I agree 🙂 … just trying to move the conversation on from I’m not quite sure what ? 

7 minutes ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

Amusing little detour, with people arguing about literally nothing 🙈....but to get back to it: Bruce Springsteen! Come on The Boss would be perfect. I know he's played before, but I've never seen him and would love to in a festival setting.

I might see Bruce, I might not. Liked him in the early 80's but then soon tired of him.

It's tjhe joy of the festival so much variety and so many new experiences to discover.

23 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

I've heard she is doing more recording next year, so new music and then back out on tour in 2026, not sure what that will look like. She could do another 3 years of eras tour and the demand wouldn't be satisfied.

I was less aware that there were rumours new music might be in the pipeline. I thought her main creative project for 2025 was, as mentioned on the page before, planning was to direct a full feature movie.

But then recent rumours have suggested a new album is being prepared so maybe that is still a possibility. I can imagine though that nearly two years of playing 3hr+ concerts is just cause for a break for a little while.

What a future tour looks like is it's own discourse. But I'd worry about that down the line imo.

3 hours ago, goldfishboy said:

with all this talk of non-musical acts i'm surprised no one has mentioned there was ballet on the pyramid stage this year. far from headliners but still.

Didn't they dance to music?

I've seen many speakers have their say on the Pyramid over the years (regular occurrence in the 1980's, when you had the likes of Paddy Ashdown, Tony Benn etc alerting us to the horrors of the nuclear race) but they aren't performers - they'd come on in between acts. It's hard to recall of any genuine Pyramid performance that didn't involve music. 

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

I can see why they got defensive though. And as I said above, people seem to be dwelling on that one sentence about non musical acts. But there have been a few non musical acts on the pyramid stage, I'm sure. Speakers and dance acts and such. But again, the non musical element wasn't even introduced into the equation by the OP.

I just feel like people are getting a bit confused and needlessly taking out their frustrations on someone whose original suggestion seemed at least plausible.

I just reread my responses and I thought/still think they were all very diplomatic and fair.

Only asked for examples of regular non-musical acts and these huge acts that would be suitable (that apparently we've never heard of).

What's wrong with asking questions or hypothesising? Thought that was the point of the forum.

• Downvote 2

9 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I just reread my responses and I thought/still think they were all very diplomatic and fair.

Only asked for examples of regular non-musical acts and these huge acts that would be suitable (that apparently we've never heard of).

What's wrong with asking questions or hypothesising? Thought that was the point of the forum.

Nothing wrong with asking questions, but you seem to be winding your neck in now. More than one of you were coming across as arrogant and rude, which is why I was being snappy back. I know text can sometimes be misconstrued though so I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and draw a line under it. 

My concept was more of a general philosophical idea, but I can list a few off the top of my head (but if you don't know classical music, you only have to Google to see successful acts, how many people they regularly bring in, etc).

Vienna Philharmonic, London Symphony, Chicago Symphony, Royal Concertgebouw. Any of these coupled with guests from the pop world, West End theatre productions, ballet acts, and opera singers, would be a perfect Sunday night headliner. It would be so powerful, and akin to the effect that Jay Z had on the festival after all the naysayers stuck their knives into the festival for booking him.

That's what I'd do anyway. There are other slants you could put on it. I know a lot of people have become accustomed to hearing one name "Elton John" or one band "Coldplay" as being put out there as the headliner, and it might feel scary when that doesn't happen. But there are whole musical worlds out there that Glastonbury is barely touching.

Edited by Iphigenia
Oh, and if anyone says that would "kill" the festival I hope the majority of the people on this forum has enough of a brain in their nut to know that that is a ridiculous thing to say
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, Iphigenia said:

Nothing wrong with asking questions, but you seem to be winding your neck in now. More than one of you were coming across as arrogant and rude, which is why I was being snappy back. I know text can sometimes be misconstrued though so I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and draw a line under it. 

My concept was more of a general philosophical idea, but I can list a few off the top of my head (but if you don't know classical music, you only have to Google to see successful acts, how many people they regularly bring in, etc).

Vienna Philharmonic, London Symphony, Chicago Symphony, Royal Concertgebouw. Any of these coupled with guests from the pop world, West End theatre productions, ballet acts, and opera singers, would be a perfect Sunday night headliner. It would be so powerful, and akin to the effect that Jay Z had on the festival after all the naysayers stuck their knives into the festival for booking him.

That's what I'd do anyway. There are other slants you could put on it. I know a lot of people have become accustomed to hearing one name "Elton John" or one band "Coldplay" as being put out there as the headliner, and it might feel scary when that doesn't happen. But there are whole musical worlds out there that Glastonbury is barely touching.

Winding my neck in now am I? Everyone should have enough of a brain in their nut?!

I'll add that to all the narrow-minded stuff, loyalist and sycophant crap you were just gushing to lay on everyone's head.

@CharlotteB Still being selective with your white-knighting?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

@stuie Mr Downvote strikes again 🤣

@Iphigenia sometimes a downvote is just as good as an upvote, depending on where it comes from 😉

You’re crazy. Just leave it. Have a lovely weekend. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Winding my neck in now am I? Everyone should have enough of a brain in their nut?!

I'll add that to all the narrow-minded stuff, loyalist and sycophant crap you were just gushing to lay on everyone's head.

@CharlotteB Still being selective with your white-knighting?

Well, same again, you ask for further info, and every time I provide it, it's ignored. What more can I do? Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Edited by Iphigenia
#wonthedebate
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, Iphigenia said:

What more can I do? 

Lol. Still waiting on the long list of non-music performances to have graced the Pyramid, for starters.

And a list of orchestras, ballets, operas that had already been mentioned by myself and others? That's the huge artists us great unwashed hadn't heard of?

Good Lord, you even edited your post to add the hashtag '#wonthedebate' 😂😂😂 What in the world...?!

• Downvote 5

On 8/23/2024 at 1:24 PM, CharlotteB said:

Since when did anyone provide evidence for anything on here? You don't need evidence for an opinion.

But, you do need evidence if you're trying to state a fact:

"There has been a regular amount of non-musical performances on the Pyramid". Who then exactly?

But for a subjective opinion, you don't need evidence, but you can at least explain it:

"I think Swan Lake would be killer on a Sunday night." Okay, you do you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

23 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I might see Bruce, I might not. Liked him in the early 80's but then soon tired of him.

It's tjhe joy of the festival so much variety and so many new experiences to discover.

It's the opposite with me, he's grown on me over time. I think I used to lump him in with Bryan Adams and Bon Jovi, but I was wrong about that. He goes much deeper. 

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Lol. Still waiting on the long list of non-music performances to have graced the Pyramid, for starters.

And a list of orchestras, ballets, operas that had already been mentioned by myself and others? That's the huge artists us great unwashed hadn't heard of?

Good Lord, you even edited your post to add the hashtag '#wonthedebate' 😂😂😂 What in the world...?!

Get a grip, dude. Everyone is trying to ignore this, and the mods are even hinting heavily at STFU. Stop flooding the thread!

I'm saving all my downvotes every day for anyone who continues this argument because you're all tools.

Edited by A Particular Grey Chihuahu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2