UK Politics

kalifire

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

VAT?

They will withhold access out of punishment? Surely they get money from this.

Anyway f**k them. Scrap the lot I reckon.

Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear. A lot of public schools operate as charities so offer the facilities free or at vastly dicounted rates as part of their charitable staus. If that's taken away, I guess they feel they're not obliged to offer the facilities any more.

Edited by Ommadawn

6 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear. A lot of public schools operate as charities so offer the facilities free or at vastly dicounted rates as part of their charitable staus. If that's taken away, I guess they feel they're not obliged to offer the facilities any more.

Even if that was a factor this stuff should be provided by the state, not charity from the privileged.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Even if that was a factor this stuff should be provided by the state, not charity from the privileged.

Agreed, but it's not.

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Then we get into the thinking that it’s better to be in opposition forever and have that warm, fuzzy feeling. It’s fine for well off lefty intellectuals to think that way, but it doesn’t help the vulnerable in society.

When I voted for Starmer for labour leader I  took his pledges with a pinch of salt, knowing he would move towards the centre when elected. Honesty would have given us RLB as leader and labour heading nowhere.

So the truth does not help people but lies do?

I am rather baffled by that or are you just saying that lies will get you elected whereas the truth gives you a warm fuzzy feeling but you always lose?

13 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

No is just fair and reasonable as he’s not here 

When I took a break for a few weeks I returned to lots of quoted posts attacking me and saw numerpous comments doing the same............... but never saw any posts like this one.

Hey ho

19 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

With ‘Big Nige’ aligning himself with a convicted criminal rather than supporting his party’s election campaign, will that make a difference to Reform’s polling?

Reform aren't having the best campaign are they, despite the media trying to give them as much airtime as possible. Helps the Tories in the end, might not be the total wipeout they feared.

19 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Agreed, but it's not.

they take the piss with this charity exemption thing, enables them to have all these amazing facilities and the kids that go there have even more life chances in all arts/sports/whatever. My kid went to a state school and not once did she use any facilities provided by a private school.

Edited by steviewevie

7 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

When I took a break for a few weeks I returned to lots of quoted posts attacking me and saw numerpous comments doing the same............... but never saw any posts like this one.

Hey ho

wow. The injustice,

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Hey ho

Some people are just untouchable.

Just now, steviewevie said:

you want to carry on slagging off Ozanne because everyone was talking about you when you were gone?

I don't think anyone 'slagged' him off - just disagreed with him (this is a discussion forum after all).

8 hours ago, LJS said:

Pretty disappointed in you, PT. Endorsing lying to win elections. We have had our disagreements over the years but I did think betterof you.

I wouldn’t call it endorsing lying, it’s accepting it happens and being pragmatic about it. Candidates making promises to win the base and then moving to the centre to win the electorate has been happening for years and will continue to happen for years to come.

If Starmer had gone into the leadership talking about moving away from Corbyn he would have lost. We would have a RLB leadership, more infighting and another inevitable election defeat. I am ok under a Tory government as slightly above average wage, but how does that complete honesty help those that aren’t.

Also let’s not be naive in thinking any party is “honest” when fighting for votes in an election. Funnily enough very few of the parties want to do unpopular stuff, yet we all know in government they would need to do unpopular stuff.

26 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

So the truth does not help people but lies do?

I am rather baffled by that or are you just saying that lies will get you elected whereas the truth gives you a warm fuzzy feeling but you always lose?

I think the truth is great if everyone signs up for it. However many accept labour to be the only honest party in a world where the others are allowed to say what they want. If I though that truth would be rewarded then great, unfortunately I don’t think labour going to the election talking about tax rises would be rewarded.

With this election approaching politicians of all parties are not telling the truth, they are trying to win votes. I accept that as politics and think who I want in power to make things better. 

To me Starmer making pledges to win the leadership the end justifies the means. The Labour Party constitution is about being a party of power. I felt RLB was a continuation of Corbynism which was happy being a party of opposition. I voted for Starmer knowing he wasn’t going to be a continuation of Corbyn. If others didn’t then maybe they were a bit naive.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I think the truth is great if everyone signs up for it. However many accept labour to be the only honest party in a world where the others are allowed to say what they want. If I though that truth would be rewarded then great, unfortunately I don’t think labour going to the election talking about tax rises would be rewarded.

With this election approaching politicians of all parties are not telling the truth, they are trying to win votes. I accept that as politics and think who I want in power to make things better. 

To me Starmer making pledges to win the leadership the end justifies the means. The Labour Party constitution is about being a party of power. I felt RLB was a continuation of Corbynism which was happy being a party of opposition. I voted for Starmer knowing he wasn’t going to be a continuation of Corbyn. If others didn’t then maybe they were a bit naive.

So you are happy to vote for a party who you accept are telling lies? - so therefore you have no idea what the truth actually is and perhaps you might not like that truth but yet you voted for it........ to my logic that is a tad daft.

14 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Who mentioned ozanne - I was reply to a mod - you chipped in and raised Ozanne not me.

don't be smart. The mod interacted because Ozanne isn't here anymore, and you're bleating not fair because you didn't post for a little while and everyone was apparently slagging you off and no one did anything because you're not part of the secret cabal. Poor thing.

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It's not lies. It's doublethink.

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

So you are happy to vote for a party who you accept are telling lies? - so therefore you have no idea what the truth actually is and perhaps you might not like that truth but yet you voted for it........ to my logic that is a tad daft.

No I would be happy if we lived in a country where there was a party who had policies that completely reflected my views and an an electorate willing to vote for them. Then unfortunately reality hits and we start to think about how that coalition can be built to get the closest to what I want.

I voted for Starmer thinking he would move to the centre and improve labours electoral chances and he did. I am going to vote labour because I believe in power they will do some difficult things like tax increases that would be hard to sell to the electorate, especially when the Tory’s are claiming they won’t do any unpopular stuff.

Politicians have always struggled with the truth and the electorate as a whole probably don’t want to know thr difficult choices the trust brings. Of course if your happy to oppose forever there are no difficult choices to make.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

No I would be happy if we lived in a country where there was a party who had policies that completely reflected my views and an an electorate willing to vote for them. Then unfortunately reality hits and we start to think about how that coalition can be built to get the closest to what I want.

I voted for Starmer thinking he would move to the centre and improve labours electoral chances and he did. I am going to vote labour because I believe in power they will do some difficult things like tax increases that would be hard to sell to the electorate, especially when the Tory’s are claiming they won’t do any unpopular stuff.

Politicians have always struggled with the truth and the electorate as a whole probably don’t want to know thr difficult choices the trust brings. Of course if your happy to oppose forever there are no difficult choices to make.

I wish someone would be honest about the finances and not just say we're going to grow the economy and that will fix everything...frustrates the f**k out of me to be honest.