UK Politics

kalifire

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yes but polling show that is less salient...although has been an uptick recently due to the boats thing and also big increase in overall numbers...but still nothing like was before and during brexit.

Across europe yes a lot of support for far right is immigration stuff, but also it is net zero stuff,...and also often happens during an economic downturn..

UK Public Opinion toward Immigration: Overall Attitudes and Level of Concern - Migration Observatory - The Migration Observatory (ox.ac.uk)

image.thumb.png.39aa768ba86c4aee27f6e04a8940cdac.png

4 minutes ago, lost said:

I'd probably go with what the labour party have suggested. Target the 22% of people of working age who are not, 

That group includes me and the wife.

The wife volunteers, unpaid, at a  school and  a local singing group for a hospice. She was  a teacher but could take no more so quit.
I am a former business owner who had to give it up for health reasons - the same reasons we sold our house, moved to a different area and bough a cheap flat for. I would love to do voluntary work, and have discussed it with various local places, but due to an illness I have I never know how I will be tomorrow and so cannot commit.

We are what is described as 'economically inactive' and are more than happy to remain that way as our pensions fund our life quite well alongside the equity we released.

Are Labour coming after us?

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Many do, they choose the career and are very good at it. People who are able to do such things (cos you cannot train someone to have such abilities) tend to do such things. A good friend of ours is a care nurse and she has seen many arrive who simply cannot cope and they soon leave.

Seriously, think about if it is a job you could do even if you got the training. People losing their minds hitting you, throwing food at you, kicking you, defecating while sat watching TV and so much more. It really is a job only people who want to do it can do properly and with the right care.

As a health professional some of the most inspirational people I have met have been carers. I agree only a certain type of person can do the job well. Unfortunately carers also have bills to pay and move out of care out of necessity.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

One thing is that if we are going to have high immigration than we have to have high investment in everything to keep up.

and yet for all too long governments have not done that and thus we have problems.

19 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

We are what is described as 'economically inactive' and are more than happy to remain that way as our pensions fund our life quite well alongside the equity we released.

Are Labour coming after us?

I think I said a few pages back I think they will target pensions (at least higher rate relief) to make it more difficult to retire early. There have also been suggestions they are going to stop over 55's from tapping their pension pots for day to day expenses.

Edited by lost

32 minutes ago, lost said:

I think I said a few pages back I think they will target pensions (at least higher rate relief) to make it more difficult to retire early. There have also been suggestions they are going to stop over 55's from tapping their pension pots for day to day expenses.

Our pension pots are ours and not tapping for day to day cos we both now get monthly pensions that they cannot take away - unless they change the law and piss off several million people who tend to vote.

8 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Our pension pots are ours and not tapping for day to day cos we both now get monthly pensions that they cannot take away - unless they change the law and piss off several million people who tend to vote.

Well they need to raise money somehow...and high earner pensions seems a pretty good place to start.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I think labour have probably dug themselves a big hole with this whole tax thing... ruling any rises out. I know why they feel they have to do it, but it is clearly not sustainable.

Not if they want to do half of what they say they'll do.

Diane Abbott is running.

So that will now be the focus of all the media coverage from now on then.

14 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

So that will now be the focus of all the media coverage from now on then.

nah, it's a safe seat. Probably less focus than if she was standing as an independent.

Unless she continuously calls Starmer a racist c**t.

Edited by steviewevie

4 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and when the good old British people who have not yet wanted to do the jobs immigrants do hence we have immigrants doing them what then when the good old British people still don't want to do them?

You can't make someone like wiping the arses of old folk and looking after them and if you think you can ask yourself, would you like to be looked after by someone who simply did not want to look after you?

the plan is for a higher NMW for carers (much more than wiping arses) so that brits want the jobs, there's lots of good brits doing the job already.

and leaning on engineering companies to employ and train brits thru more apprenticeships

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Diane Abbott is running.

the labour campaign ( i thought you said ruining!) 😛

Just watched Channel4 news and they said reason that Diane Abbott had whip suspended was because she said white people don't experience racism. 

thats what she did, cos in dianes world only Dianne experiences racism.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

As a health professional some of the most inspirational people I have met have been carers. I agree only a certain type of person can do the job well. Unfortunately carers also have bills to pay and move out of care out of necessity.

if anyone else was denigrating a job role like uninteresting has just done - uuninteresting would be right on them. he's the low standards arsehole.

2 hours ago, lost said:

make it more difficult for people to retire early would be a good ideas, the problems of early retirement was a predictable problem.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

see the rich squeal at the prospect of being fairly taxed.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I think labour have probably dug themselves a big hole with this whole tax thing... ruling any rises out. I know why they feel they have to do it, but it is clearly not sustainable.

Of course they have - as they stride to come across as ever more Torylike they will keep doing it.

We will have 5 years of not much changing and them blaming the Tories for the mess they inherited........ which is why all their plans are 10 year plans.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Our pension pots are not high earner ones

its your own tax avoidance scheme just like a rich tory.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Of course they have - as they stride to come across as ever more Torylike they will keep doing it.

ever-more tory-like: squealing at the prospect of being properly taxed, like you just have.

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

We will have 5 years of not much changing and them blaming the Tories for the mess they inherited........ which is why all their plans are 10 year plans.

Well taxes are already high...so no one wants to pay more...but the fact if the matter is we're probably going to need to.