UK Politics

kalifire

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah should have done this quicker, but was a bit of a nightmare scenario. Does that mean Galloway??

I imagine Labour were probably being careful, waiting to see if more information came to light before deciding on a course of action.

I reckon Ali will still win, he’ll have a Labour logo next to him on the ballot paper. 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

But only way it will be May is if their is a leadership challenge I reckon...otherwise they'd be mad. 

I did hear a rumour about Cameron taking over as a unifying leader. If they do that Labour should bin Starmer and bring back Blair...because he would definitely unify Labour.

cameron couldn't be leader, tory leader needs to be an mp.

Edited by Neil

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I imagine Labour were probably being careful, waiting to see if more information came to light before deciding on a course of action.

I reckon Ali will still win, he’ll have a Labour logo next to him on the ballot paper. 

Everyone will know he's ex-Labour just like Galloway and Danczuk, so there is no Labour candidate, but voters will have a choice of 3 ex-Labour, none of whom are acceptable to the current Labour party. Starmer seems to be totally out of touch with the electorate, he wants to dictate to people how they should think and what is important, not listen to people and represent them.  If these three collectively get a massive share of the vote (and I suspect they will) that is a big vote against Starmer.

28 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Everyone will know he's ex-Labour just like Galloway and Danczuk, so there is no Labour candidate, but voters will have a choice of 3 ex-Labour, none of whom are acceptable to the current Labour party. Starmer seems to be totally out of touch with the electorate, he wants to dictate to people how they should think and what is important, not listen to people and represent them.  If these three collectively get a massive share of the vote (and I suspect they will) that is a big vote against Starmer.

🤔

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

If these 3 getting a big vote would be a big vote against Starmer, what would be considered a vote for him? It’s pretty much a no win situation now. 

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If these 3 getting a big vote would be a big vote against Starmer, what would be considered a vote for him? It’s pretty much a no win situation now. 

I suppose a lower than expected turnout would be a positive, if the electorate don't vote for the 3 ex-Labour guys but then overwhelmingly support the official Labour candidate at the GE then Starmer's position will seem right. OTOH a biggish vote now for a Labour reject shows people ignoring Starmer.

16 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I suppose a lower than expected turnout would be a positive, if the electorate don't vote for the 3 ex-Labour guys but then overwhelmingly support the official Labour candidate at the GE then Starmer's position will seem right. OTOH a biggish vote now for a Labour reject shows people ignoring Starmer.

I think you’re over analysing. If labour succeed in the general election, the narrative won’t be the comparison between 2 elections in Rochdale. Im loathed to read too much into turnout, I would always vote in any election. If it was (similar to Rochdale) a sh*t choice, I would determine the least sh*t. That’s not an endorsement of a candidate, but my belief in the importance of voting.

This feels a bit of a political bubble story to me. I don’t think the average swing voter outside Rochdale will care.

40 minutes ago, clarkete said:

i knew she owns a large slice, it's till not hers - which implies she owns it all, &/or had something to do with its creation, and the running of it.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think you’re over analysing. If labour succeed in the general election, the narrative won’t be the comparison between 2 elections in Rochdale. Im loathed to read too much into turnout, I would always vote in any election. If it was (similar to Rochdale) a sh*t choice, I would determine the least sh*t. That’s not an endorsement of a candidate, but my belief in the importance of voting.

This feels a bit of a political bubble story to me. I don’t think the average swing voter outside Rochdale will care.

Maybe, just think it's an interesting situation, If you were a hard core Starmer supporter, someone like Ozanne say, who would (could) you vote for? It's clear they don't want you to vote for Ali, they refuse to support him, best choice if you must vote would be an independent or Monster raving!

On 2/10/2024 at 8:29 PM, steviewevie said:

Good grief round and round yes people were too obsessed with cost, but it is labour that put that cost at the forefront of everything.

there is no such thing as a free policy.

I find it hugely depressing that virtually all the debate about 38billioingate has been around whether Labour ditching their flagship green policy has been tactically good or bad and not about whether it's right to dilute their commitment to play their part in "saving the planet"  

On 2/9/2024 at 6:23 PM, Neil said:

You only get a good return if its a good investment. There's also an incease in the tax take because of the increased spending.

Hi Neil, 

hope you are well and i am delighted to agree with you on this. 

Absolutely thrilled that you have finally accepted my arguments from the Osborne austerity years and have finally turned your back on Tesconomics.

2 hours ago, LJS said:

Hi Neil, 

hope you are well and i am delighted to agree with you on this. 

Absolutely thrilled that you have finally accepted my arguments from the Osborne austerity years and have finally turned your back on Tesconomics.

would help if i had the first idea what you're talking about???

i was alway against austerity, but realise there's a limit to how far making it up can take you, for reference see the Scottish govt!

10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

does anyone else feel as fed up about everything as me? feel like binning news and binning social media and binning efestivals binning politics and labour and voting and sticking my head in the ground and getting some hard drugs and just ignoring it all. f**ked off.

A smart, interested, well informed friend just stopped reading the news during Covid. 

It did wonders for her quality of life.

6 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

He’s talking nonsense and has made up that 3 candidates combined will be a vote against Starmer, when that’s not the case at all. Most people will see the Labour logo next to Ali and vote for him anyway, unless the Lib Dem’s start campaigning. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

He’s talking nonsense and has made up that 3 candidates combined will be a vote against Starmer, when that’s not the case at all. Most people will see the Labour logo next to Ali and vote for him anyway, unless the Lib Dem’s start campaigning. 

I reckon Galloway will win.

8 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Maybe, just think it's an interesting situation, If you were a hard core Starmer supporter, someone like Ozanne say, who would (could) you vote for? It's clear they don't want you to vote for Ali, they refuse to support him, best choice if you must vote would be an independent or Monster raving!

I don’t see it as a referendum on Starmer. In an ideal world labour could switch candidate, maybe long term the solution is to allow this, so parties can switch in this situation

Just because the labour candidate has messed up, doesn’t mean that Rochdale doesn’t deserve political representation consistent with the views of the consistency. My thought process would probably be to vote Lib Dem if they were competitive. If not I would vote labour (through gritted teeth) knowing they are likely to vote in parliament consistent with my wishes and they would be replaced by the GE.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don’t see it as a referendum on Starmer. In an ideal world labour could switch candidate, maybe long term the solution is to allow this, so parties can switch in this situation

Just because the labour candidate has messed up, doesn’t mean that Rochdale doesn’t deserve political representation consistent with the views of the consistency. My thought process would probably be to vote Lib Dem if they were competitive. If not I would vote labour (through gritted teeth) knowing they are likely to vote in parliament consistent with my wishes and they would be replaced by the GE.

There'd be costs for a changed candidate, reprint of voting forms and printing and distribiting campaign materials. Maybe the party could pay those.