Shania!

CaledonianGonzo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, panasonic2011 said:

Do you think she has a cold or something?  Sounds a bit naff on tv

Sound mix is pretty crap which doesn’t help.

Dolly/Lionel/Kylie smashing it and raising expectations sky-high was probably the worst thing that could possibly have happened to the Legends Slot in the long run. Diana Ross’ mixed reception two years ago should’ve cooled things off a bit and reset the meter, but apparently not. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Yeah the mix for Shania was much better in the field. Sounded great there, I had a really good time.

Her vocal issues are quite well documented - she had an illness which completely destroyed her voice, had to have vocal surgery and learn to sing from scratch. She's said that it's a difficult decision about whether to mime and sound closer to the recordings or do it live but sound how she now does. I much prefer a live rough vocal than a clean mimed one, fair play to her for carrying on.

Vocals were undoubtedly not the crystal clear pitch of 20 years ago, but if you set that to one side she got it spot on.

Bit of an odd decision to arrive with a platoon of dancers and other paraphernalia at the start and then have them disappear for the rest of the show - and they also should have connected up SZA's ego ramp for her and Janelle Monae to use.

But otherwise, fab.

I really enjoyed it. I think I knew more songs than many having listened to her Greatest Hits album back in 05 time, so I knew Up, I'm Gonna Getcha and Forever and Always, plus some others like Come on Over and Don't be Stupid. Also forgot she did From This Moment On, which sounded huge. Then the atmosphere for the last song, along with her obvious love for the place and excitement about the set made for a really enjoyable show.

We got lucky that we ran ahead of the crowd to get a spot for Avril, so got both sets back to back from a good position. One of my favourite Sundays at Glastonbury

This part of Glastonbury always confuses me, as a non-regular (and non-UK citizen).

Someone like Shania Twain getting crowds this size. In Belgium, these are the kind of smaller artists that wouldn't even be considered by big majors festivals like Rock Werchter and would be booked by a nostalgia fest where there would be around 1000 people. Same with someone like Cyndi Lauper.