Secret bands

Hazz

There’s confirmation from Andy copping in the past few days that there’s a very,very big band is playing a secret set at download this year. Plus possibly some more re acts possibly . Here’s my guesses:

Rammstein - on tour in Europe at the time . Gaps on for possible sets

on Friday or sunday

my chemical romance - all quiet for a while . At Milton Keynes shows they premiered a new track. So maybe new album? So appearance

van halen - the band who apparently wanted telephone numbers to play. who knows right?

any other thoughts folks ?

God I hope it’s fight star . Secretly I was hoping the busted logo was something to throw people off and it was fightstar headlining third stage instead 

8 hours ago, Hazz said:

God I hope it’s fight star . Secretly I was hoping the busted logo was something to throw people off and it was fightstar headlining third stage instead 

I very much doubt its going to be Foos or Green Day. Big band is too hyped by those going who want it to be massive.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up for a stadium class band like Foos or MCR, it would cause too many crowding problems 

the last couple of secret sets (that I remember) were Black Stone Cherry and Three Days Grace in the Third stage tent. Both were in the Uk at the time and both had a history of playing download 

Id put bets on someone who’s played Wembley arena/Ally Pally, like Sleep token or Frank Carter or Enter Shikari 

14 hours ago, skillfulperson said:

I wouldn’t get your hopes up for a stadium class band like Foos or MCR, it would cause too many crowding problems 

the last couple of secret sets (that I remember) were Black Stone Cherry and Three Days Grace in the Third stage tent. Both were in the Uk at the time and both had a history of playing download 

Id put bets on someone who’s played Wembley arena/Ally Pally, like Sleep token or Frank Carter or Enter Shikari 

I think enter shikari are already on the main festival lineup 

On 6/3/2024 at 2:39 AM, skillfulperson said:

I think Enter Shikari will do a Shikari Sound System secret set in the district X area

Thinking about the mcr thing now ….i mean it’s the 20th anniversary of three cheers for sweet revenge in a couple of days….

i mean a three cheers set…I mean I’d be there like a shot

3 hours ago, Rusty Spoon said:

Parkway Drive? Would be pushing the 'very, very big' band label but would go down well at Download in a secret set.

The wording was ‘big band’ doing a ‘very, very special set’. Having an arena band who sub headliner last year, and will almost certainly headline the next time they play, do an unannounced set on tour smallest stage is absolutely a big band doing something very special. 

I think this'll be either Sex Pistols + Frank Carter or Weezer. The Sex Pistols one would be very special as they're an iconic, legendary band. Weezer would be brilliant and their last UK tour date is on the Friday, plus they teased some festival appearances before (although I think we were all expecting Glasto)

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

The wording was ‘big band’ doing a ‘very, very special set’. Having an arena band who sub headliner last year, and will almost certainly headline the next time they play, do an unannounced set on tour smallest stage is absolutely a big band doing something very special. 

That's fair, I hadn't seen the actual interview and was basing the size of the band on the opening post. Parkway Drive would definitely fit in that case and are active in the EU with Rock for People on the Thursday and Nova Rock on the Friday.

9 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

A guess, a hunch, or have you heard something 😲

They were previously advertised at Victorious as their only UK festival show but today they said,  ‘👀 currently Biffy Clyro’s only UK festival appearance’ 

Its 20 years since they first played Download and 20 years since Infinity Land came out. 

Let’s manifest it into existence. 

The Secret Set band discussion has evolved/devolved into a "god, I hope it's..." conversation across all the forums.

Based on my own ill-conceived assumptions that the artist is going to be a.n.other of the euro-summer-rock-festival-acts, and of presumed stature to be second stage headliner/main stage support(ish) size,...

Then I'm going to punt at 5FDP.

Obvs they're a twat's band, but they do carry a mystifying level of popularity.

nb. At the risk of being even remotely close, I also made this point on the official forum a week or so ago.

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

They were previously advertised at Victorious as their only UK festival show but today they said,  ‘👀 currently Biffy Clyro’s only UK festival appearance’ 

Its 20 years since they first played Download and 20 years since Infinity Land came out. 

Let’s manifest it into existence. 

Would be class. Makes sense with the 20th anniversary of Infinity Land + they are one of the bands that have played Download the most (7 if I recall correctly).

Gonna throw it out there as they haven’t been mentioned …Trivium?

36 minutes ago, Hazz said:

Gonna throw it out there as they haven’t been mentioned …Trivium?

I believe they’re taking a big break before the tour next year. Plus, I don’t think they’ve any reason to be over in the uk right now.