What NICHE bar would you like to have at Glastonbury

Superscally

On 6/8/2024 at 7:51 AM, Mr Boo said:

The Bike Shed -

To give you the feel you are breaking the school rules (80s style),  you get to experience the dangers of hanging out in the school bike sheds.

To get to the bar you go past a teacher questioning why you aren’t in class and several signs with arbitrary/ ridiculous rules on them. 
You then enter a small bar (shaped like a school bike shed). The walls should be covered with chopper and grifter bikes.

You get to break the rules by drinking disappointing lager from the 80s (I’m thinking Hofmeister, Skull, Kestrel) and for those feeling particularly rebellious Snake Bite will be on offer.

Music on the bar should include Pink Floyd’s ‘another brick in the wall’ and Alice Coopers “schools out’.

Within a few minutes, you should be left with thoughts such as-

‘well this is rubbish’

‘I’m bored’

‘stupid school’

’I don’t want to do my home work ’

followed by -

‘Blimey I’m at Glastonbury, let’s go and do that instead’. 

Leave to the sound of the school bell ringing and feeling strangely euphoric. 

Edit -The bike shed should be situated by some horrible toilets (a bit of a reach I know) with the school bully hanging out in them and threatening to nick your pocket money.

This only works if randomly during the day one of the bouncers (or lookouts) shouts TEACHER!!!!!  and everyone inside has to run away.

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2024 at 4:28 PM, Pinhead said:

Years ago The Bell in Walcot St Bath used to run a bar in Jazzworld which really fitted with the ethos.

I spoke with Ian Woods a while back about the bars he ran down there, one of the reason I got work and still volunteer on site. Used to run the hat and feather which was a fab pub.

Anyway he said he gave it all up as they asked him to run 10 bars and he just couldn't be arsed

• Upvote 1

The name of the bar would be 'Judge Roy Beans '

The bar would only sell Long Island Iced Teas

Each Long Island Iced Tea would contain a full Irish gill of each spirit.

The cost of the Long Island Iced Tea's is to be insanely low

And the next morning you will know why Judge Roy Bean isn't a man known for his leniency. 

On 6/9/2024 at 5:26 PM, fred quimby said:

I spoke with Ian Woods a while back about the bars he ran down there, one of the reason I got work and still volunteer on site. Used to run the hat and feather which was a fab pub.

Anyway he said he gave it all up as they asked him to run 10 bars and he just couldn't be arsed

The Hat & Feather was felt more edgy in the early '90s - stopped going there when some fella got thrown through a window there.

On 6/8/2024 at 5:17 PM, Ben7amin_ said:

The cave was a thing back in 2013

Screenshot_20240608-171647_Chrome.jpg

That place was great. Cool cocktails and DJ's Did it only last a year?

On 6/9/2024 at 10:25 AM, Superscally said:

I saw Michael McDonald last night...

How was it?  I love his voice.  His spell with the Doobie Brothers was classic.

We were in Beat Hotel just before Dolly played and there was a yacht rock DJ on.  Place went off when he dropped Africa, Sweet Freedom and then What a Fool Believes.  I didn't want to leave but got dragged off to get a decent spot for Dolly.

16 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

We were in Beat Hotel just before Dolly played and there was a yacht rock DJ on.  Place went off when he dropped Africa, Sweet Freedom and then What a Fool Believes.  I didn't want to leave but got dragged off to get a decent spot for Dolly.

Magnificent dude. It was actually with the Doobies, who were supporting the Eagles (also f**king ace and I'm a Lebowski fan and actually full on took the piss in the buildup). He would nail the Legend slot. I know someone suggested it a year or two ago and got laughed out of town.

Well I'm not laughing now...

P.s. The Cave was great. Think it was two years? Maybe I'm wrong. 

P.p.s. I no longer hate the f**king Eagles, man.

20240608_205407.jpg

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

hat and feather which was a fab pub.

i used to drink in there (would have been about 1986 when i was living in Paulton the hat had nice beers but a very cliquey clientele.

20 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

you've just reminded me of the way that Katie Pukrick says 'toto' there's something very cute about it!

1 hour ago, Neil said:

you've just reminded me of the way that Katie Pukrick says 'toto' there's something very cute about it!

I’ve a mad crush on her anyway, so. Googling her saying toto made me melt a bit. 😍