“Glastonbury will probably take one of its periodic fallow years in 2026”

broken monkey

3 hours ago, northernangel said:

Well they put SZA above the festival this in at attempt to make sure they booked two females headliners in anyway they could this year as by doing so you've got not only a weaker lineup for it.....everyone can see that and one of the biggest clashes of very similar fan base I've know of in 11 years of attending Glastonbury in response of it.

truth is SZA is a very popular artist and it feels like she's being singled out on here because it's not the 'usual' kind of glastonbury headliner and appeals to a younger demographic

Just now, gooner1990 said:

would probably do you some good to read or watch some interviews with EE and the locals about the impact on the local area.

Never delved too deep into this, but have often wondered about it, plus what the science (if any) behind a fallow year in every 5/6 was.  On the latter point, I recently started working with a big company of agronomists and was astounded by the level of technical input needed to grow arable crops to expected yield.  Maybe the same applies with diary herds, but I don't know.

I'd guess the impact on the area is a double-edged sword.  Economically, probably great.  Road closures, heavy traffic and inconvenience for c. 3 months of the year not so.  The actual 2 weeks covering the festival itself and either side, I'm guessing a complete pain in the arse.

3 minutes ago, goldfishboy said:

truth is SZA is a very popular artist and it feels like she's being singled out on here because it's not the 'usual' kind of glastonbury headliner and appeals to a younger demographic

I think there's more to this.  No, she isn't the "usual" headliner and is popular globally, but much less so in the UK.  But I'd eat my hat if she was first choice for that slot.  I reckon there was clearly a late reshuffle with SZA being bumped from Sunday Other headliner to Sunday Pyramid due to a cancellation and IDLES being bumped or booked short notice tom step in.  I think @northernangel maybe isn't taking that into account, but regardless, it won't impact the reputation of the festival one jot.

37 minutes ago, goldfishboy said:

30 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I think there's more to this.  No, she isn't the "usual" headliner and is popular globally, but much less so in the UK.  But I'd eat my hat if she was first choice for that slot.  I reckon there was clearly a late reshuffle with SZA being bumped from Sunday Other headliner to Sunday Pyramid due to a cancellation and IDLES being bumped or booked short notice tom step in.  I think @northernangel maybe isn't taking that into account, but regardless, it won't impact the reputation of the festival one jot.

I am actually taking that into account. In reply to both of these, my point was that it's said the festival would change itself etc for one artist but their want to put two female headliners on and being adamant led to this option which has brought more compromise than just bumping a headliner so booking a male option that a clear comfortable option would have been better but something that except for that Stevie Wonder moment however true it was, was something they were dead set against. 

Just to make it clear, I have no problem with two female options headlining as long as they are a natural selection and not something that you are literally forcing.

3 hours ago, stuie said:

after an enforced double fallow covid break I expect they want to get as many festivals in a run as possible.

and at this stage, I think they want to run at every opportunity while respecting the 5 on 1 off. 

plus other reasons like Michael’s advancing years etc 

I thought so until a few days ago too, but they're clearly at least thinking about a fallow in 2026 for some reason. I don't think it's nailed on but equally don't think Emily mentioned it as a possibility just to troll us.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

I thought so until a few days ago too, but they're clearly at least thinking about a fallow in 2026 for some reason. I don't think it's nailed on but equally don't think Emily mentioned it as a possibility just to troll us.

the other thing I was musing is that fallow years don’t just affect that year… punters, traders, volunteers won’t have a year off - they’ll go somewhere else. Some people view a fallow year as a good place to hang up their Glasto boots and retire.  Then they have to start up the whole festival machine again, which usually runs pretty much all year. 

On 6/12/2024 at 3:09 PM, gooner1990 said:

would probably do you some good to read or watch some interviews with EE and the locals about the impact on the local area.

Would probably do you good to understand how opinions work first.