Greenday....

spencer1981

They were great in Manchester the other night, and have done a decent job at other festivals before. I think they'd be left-field for Glasto, but there's been singers and acts who've had an El Pointo headline slot that don't have an American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Basketcase or whatever to throw at proceedings.

Green Day would be a phenomenal headliner. I worry slightly that the headliners lack an oomph. Sure you have the landmark ones like Stormzy and Kendrick Lamar who blew everyone away and rightfully so as they’re so vital to music and what they say with their music, but Green Day could blast the American Idiot album in full and it wouldn’t feel *too dated* by today’s standards even though it was taking direct aim at the George W Bush years. 

Edited by Flighty Zoo

The run of albums from dookie to warning was then at their best for me. American idiot was when they were probably commercially at their peak with sales etc. but I lost interest after that. More than enough material to do a quality headline pyramid set.

Edited by gherkin8r
  • Upvote 1

They looked awesome at IOW

Gutted we don't have a headliner that would get the crowd eating from their palms like that.

it was a packed setlist, and I can still think of loads they didn't play off the top of my head...86, Hitchin a ride, The Grouch, King for a day.

Brilliant 👏 

Edited by spencer1981
Wrong info

My very first proper gig was a Green Day back in 2002.

image.jpeg.3f90d665846de6789ee8b15494a119c2.jpeg

Iggy aside it’s such a 2002 undercard 😁

I don’t stick them on anymore but I’d be at a headline set for sure. 

Are they deffo ruled out any secret slots this year?

Edited by 1986
Typo

Now that the festival has more or less run through all of the 70’s and 80’s acts who want to do it and started to book stuff like GnR which didn’t seem very likely a few years ago, Green Day seem like an obvious one that should be in the pipeline. One of the defining acts of the 90’s, still selling out stadiums, tons of recognisable songs… seems like an absolute slam dunk. They’re pop/punk which the festival never really f**ks with, but then they’re dabbling with that with Avril this year who will draw one of the biggest crowds of the weekend, so there’s certainly an audience for it. Might not happen on this touring cycle, but festival would be dumb to not be making moves on this one imo. 

9 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Not a fan of bands playing albums in full, especially at festivals! 

If Green Day played AI at Glastonbury that would be mad. I don't see Green Day being a band booked by Glastonbury though. I just don't think they have enough of that Foo Fighters crossover even though I'd love it. 

9 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

The run of albums from dookie to warning was then at their best for me. American idiot was when they were probably commercially at their peak with sales etc. but I lost interest after that. More than enough material to do a quality headline pyramid set.

To be fair I think that was the same for many, obviously Billy Joe has a bad phase as well but came out of it and strong. Their best album for me is AI without a single doubt. The tour I wish I went to was Hella Mega but I was in a period of just like taking a break from seeing band after band, I wasn't very well etc and to be honest they weren't producing great material. I had seen them twice before.

7 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Now that the festival has more or less run through all of the 70’s and 80’s acts who want to do it and started to book stuff like GnR which didn’t seem very likely a few years ago, Green Day seem like an obvious one that should be in the pipeline. One of the defining acts of the 90’s, still selling out stadiums, tons of recognisable songs… seems like an absolute slam dunk. They’re pop/punk which the festival never really f**ks with, but then they’re dabbling with that with Avril this year who will draw one of the biggest crowds of the weekend, so there’s certainly an audience for it. Might not happen on this touring cycle, but festival would be dumb to not be making moves on this one imo. 

I don't think Avril will be attended as much as people think. I'll be down the front with bells and whistles, probably my act of the weekend to see. The difference when the poster came of her being on it and not was huge.

9 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

American Idiot was their entry point for me as I was a teen when it came out but I’ve been listening it again recently and it holds up very very well and the artistry really shines through once the hype has died down. They’re a great band!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Not a fan of bands playing albums in full, especially at festivals! 

Did Dookie go down well when Green Day did that at Reading in 2013? I saw it done a few days earlier at a Brixton warm-up and that was really cool and also quite unexpected.

I did see Muse play Origin of Symmetry in full at Reading 2011 and while I loved it as a massive Muse fan, I did think it would've been a better fit for their own headline show.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Did Dookie go down well when Green Day did that at Reading in 2013? I saw it done a few days earlier at a Brixton warm-up and that was really cool and also quite unexpected.

It was banging. But the difference between Dookie and American Idiot is that Dookie is about 35 mins long, and at Reading I remember thinking that they were absolutely racing through some of it. If you're going to do the 'whole album in full' thing, that's probably the way to do it.