Oasis

chew the fat

9 hours ago, charlierc said:

I wouldn't say it's exactly a new phenomenon given the collapse of the sale of recorded music and the rise of streaming services hogging most of the revenue has played out fairly extensively in the last 20 years.

That and I expected a large ticket price cost so I'm not surprised at very few if any sub-£100 tickets, but you can still be like "WTF?!?"

i mean yeah, you can be. U2 used to and might still do it as they have a decent block of tickets for cheap. I remember on the 360 tour they had 10,000 per date that was $35. And then Joshua Tree was similar. Oasis def couldve had some tickets at £50 just cause. Rolling Stones still do Lucky Dip tickets which anyone would be mad to not purchase. Coldplay had their $20 Infinity Tickets. Olivia Rodrigo did the same as Coldplay. So there were avenues to give some people an option. You can also place restrictions on those tickets as they were will call only with direct entry for Rs,coldplay and olivia. 

Blur just wasnt asking for the same amount of money as Oasis was/is and its not as if they had been dormant for 15 years. Wait for America to make everyone who was crying just see the deal theyre about to get. Although Mexico City is going to be the steal with currency conversion.

7 hours ago, briddj said:

Despite Country House, Blur aren't Oasis and struggled to sell the second Wembley date until a decent undercard was added.

Agreed, but I was more drawing the comparison that it is possible to stage a gig at Wembley and charge sub £100. There may be a "going rate" as other artists have charged £150, but that doesn't mean you have to follow suit

6 minutes ago, Charliehmiller said:

Anyone had the presale email link or know what time it is? 

Says we should be contacted by 9am today if we get selected I think 

You’ll be contacted by 17:00 today if you’re successful. I imagine results will be confirmed anytime after 10:00

8 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

I’m lost now. Thought the pre-sale was  9am today? Has that changed? 

They’ve given everyone until 10am today to confirm their entry due to the demand the balot entry has had,  emails were taking a while to come through.

IMG_2402.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

Looks like pre sale will be probably 6 or 7pm tonight then 

Damn. Out for the wife’s birthday tonight so I’m out of the pre sale if that’s true. 

Just briefly heading back to the ticket pricing/streaming revenue argument, this impacts newer or smaller acts a lot more than it does "legacy" or large ones.  When Definitely Maybe went on sale, and sold bucketloads, Creation had to pay over £1m to Noel Gallagher the following week.  Acts don't get that any more so just to make ends meet, they have to stick £10 - £20 more on tickets when they tour.

The likes of Taylor Swift, Oasis, ACDC, Springsteen etc. charging £100 - £300 per ticket when they are already multimillionaires and have already had years of record contract gravy train is just pure profiteering and it stinks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Just briefly heading back to the ticket pricing/streaming revenue argument, this impacts newer or smaller acts a lot more than it does "legacy" or large ones.  When Definitely Maybe went on sale, and sold bucketloads, Creation had to pay over £1m to Noel Gallagher the following week.  Acts don't get that any more so just to make ends meet, they have to stick £10 - £20 more on tickets when they tour.

The likes of Taylor Swift, Oasis, ACDC, Springsteen etc. charging £100 - £300 per ticket when they are already multimillionaires and have already had years of record contract gravy train is just pure profiteering and it stinks.

scary think if they could easily add up to £50 more on their tickets and I’ve no doubt this tour would still sell out 

8 hours ago, briddj said:

Despite Country House, Blur aren't Oasis and struggled to sell the second Wembley date until a decent undercard was added.

Sadly Oasis are now much more popular than Blur there 20 or so sing along classics appeal to the masses -  But musically its so one sided -  Blur have 5 or maybe 6 top quality albums Oasis only have 2. As we know popularity of something does not mean its better.   

Country House does not make the top 20 Blur songs IMO but hey they have to appeal to the people who want sing along classics I guess.  

Having seen both in there heyday - and Pulp -  Oasis are certainly the 3rd best of the Britpop list when it comes to quality of live performance aswell -   (Pulp are the best live) 

For me now £150 for Oasis - minumum - not worth it and im out.  

Edited by Ben7amin_

I really fancied Blur tickets last year, but balked at £90 for standing - just couldn’t justify that price. THEN the half price NHS tickets got dropped, and I got right on board - £45 was much, much more like it. There isn’t a fair price for me watching oasis at Wembley to be honest cos I don’t like em, but you can’t argue that they’re playing the ticket costs too high if it sells out - and it will. I’ve said it before but there needs to be pullout from the public when it comes to high prices, artists need to be playing in front of a couple of hundred people in a massive stadium cos they’ve overreached the ambition. Too much is too much. 

as much as i really hate where we are now with the cost of concert tickets (and i think i've bored everyone enough with that)... 

the flip side to that is i actually don't begrudge acts for doing it.

i mean, if you were in a position to squeeze as much money out of something as you could, and you face zero consequence for doing so, why the hell not.

9 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

as much as i really hate where we are now with the cost of concert tickets (and i think i've bored everyone enough with that)... 

i mean, if you were in a position to squeeze as much money out of something as you could, and you face zero consequence for doing so, why the hell not.

In on us to stop paying it I guess 

11 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I really fancied Blur tickets last year, but balked at £90 for standing - just couldn’t justify that price. THEN the half price NHS tickets got dropped, and I got right on board - £45 was much, much more like it. There isn’t a fair price for me watching oasis at Wembley to be honest cos I don’t like em, but you can’t argue that they’re playing the ticket costs too high if it sells out - and it will. I’ve said it before but there needs to be pullout from the public when it comes to high prices, artists need to be playing in front of a couple of hundred people in a massive stadium cos they’ve overreached the ambition. Too much is too much. 

Unfortunately that is not going to happen in this case. 

I go to lots of gigs and personally think the prices for Oasis are too much and probably will not be bothering.  However you have people who never go to gigs banging on about going to this one.  Annoys me in some ways that there are 100's of gigs a week at smaller venues that people don't bother with and then all of a sudden all over this.  

Think if I do go will end up being annoyed by both the band, well, Liam and also the audience.

8 hours ago, chatty said:

Haway, if we're honest Oasis have a load of seminal tracks (in the UK at least). 

Wonderwall 

Don't Look Back In Anger 

Supersonic 

Cigarettes and Alcohol 

Live Forever 

At the very least, will be known by most people in the UK. You put them on in most pubs and you'll get a full pub sing along to it (once beer has flowed for a few hours anyway). 

Then you could argue the likes of Rock N Roll Star, Stand By Me, Roll With It are there as well. 

Songbird, Dyou Know What I Mean, Slide Away, Half The World Away, The Masterplan, probably a few others. 

They have a massive backlog of tracks that were hugely popular here and resonate with the culture of this country. 

Fair enough, I can understand some people not liking them and on a world level they'd probably struggle to held as in high esteem but just kidding yourself to say they don't have seminal songs. 

I remember when I was aged 17-20 and we used to go out, we'd always chat about music and how we weren't in to Oasis. But as soon as we hit the club and an Oasis song came on, we dropped all our inhibitions/pretensions and sung their songs like we were on the front barrier of one of their gigs.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

you can’t argue that they’re playing the ticket costs too high if it sells out - and it will. 

Of course you can. The most hyped reunion in a long long time and the prices reflect the FOMO and the fact a lot of people are willing to pay whatever it takes to get there, that doesn't make the pricing (which WILL price plenty of Oasis' supposedly core fanbase out) right. The hospitality options will all sell out instantly too - are you saying that they're not too high? It's getting so out of hand - we all knew this was a cash grab and nothing at all to do with the music or the connection with the fans which Noel has spoken about before as being the defining characteristic of this band, but it still leaves a sour taste for some people. It selling out won't change that.

Edited by Nobby's Old Boots

11 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Unfortunately that is not going to happen in this case. 

I go to lots of gigs and personally think the prices for Oasis are too much and probably will not be bothering.  However you have people who never go to gigs banging on about going to this one.  Annoys me in some ways that there are 100's of gigs a week at smaller venues that people don't bother with and then all of a sudden all over this.  

The problem with people who rarely go to live music events is that a lot of them do not see these big gigs by very well known famous artists as being expensive. I know people who never go to live events but were all over Taylor Swift tickets at big proces because it was Swift and so were happy to pay. For some it will be the only gig they attend this year.

From a pure budgeting point of view lots of them will be happy to spend £150+ on Oasis tickets because that will be the yearly spend on gigs. 

24 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

I agree. Ultimately it’s an ephemeral entertainment product. Nobody needs it. The price is what the market decides, especially at the top end where there’s no concerns about trying to build a fan base. The likes of Oasis (and Springsteen, Coldplay etc) have already done that by touring the arse off it in their early days. Sure it would be nice if all the people clamouring for Oasis tickets would go to local small venues but most of them are never going to. Their Oasis budget is just getting redirected from Just Eat/Nandos and All Bar One.

15 minutes ago, Dales said:

The problem with people who rarely go to live music events is that a lot of them do not see these big gigs by very well known famous artists as being expensive. I know people who never go to live events but were all over Taylor Swift tickets at big proces because it was Swift and so were happy to pay. For some it will be the only gig they attend this year.

From a pure budgeting point of view lots of them will be happy to spend £150+ on Oasis tickets because that will be the yearly spend on gigs. 

Just done a quick tally and reckon I have spent approx £500 on gig tickets in the last year, not counting a couple of festivals.  With my Wifes tickets and also my 15 year old Daughter who has started going to a lot of gigs we will be looking well in excess of a £1000.   Wouldn't have it any other way though as love gigs - preferably smaller ones.  

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

supply and demand isn't it. No one is forced to go.

5 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

preferably smaller ones.  

That's where the value is. Academy shows or smaller can still get 30 quid tickets. Less if it is not a sell out and you can snag some on twickets. 

Stadium acts can charge what they can cause they have built up a massive reputation and are often older so people will stump it up as a once in a lifetime thing. That's why i didn't care about paying 170 for Taylor, it was essentially a 3.5 hour greatest hits tour, big support act and a full day out for me. Easily worth the money. Oasis at 150 is obviously steep but I was too young to see them first time around and you never knew they were actually gonna get back together.