Oasis

chew the fat

2 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

That's not fair, I definitely think there are some "seminal" (😂 can't keep a straight face when saying that word) bands and artists post 1980. I just don't see Oasis as one of them. They were big in this country, and a lot of people like their hits. But in a hundred, two hundred years time nobody will talk about them as a band that intrinsically changed anything. The next generation of music would've happened with or without Oasis, and would've been largely the same (because Oasis were largely the same as what came before them).

I might be being strict in my definitions, but I think that's justified. You can't throw an epic word like "seminal" around willy-nilly 😆

They havent released new music in nearly two decades and there is currently a few million people trying to get tickets....

I'd say there were seminal.

6 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

They havent released new music in nearly two decades and there is currently a few million people trying to get tickets....

They've played a marketing blinder though. If Blur had done this, would you be saying the same thing about them right now? If you can point to any of their material that broke the mould I'd change my mind. But we both know they didn't actually change the musical landscape in any way like some of their predecessors did. Not seminal. Great rock band though, with some catchy ditties.

Edited by CharlotteB

Just now, CharlotteB said:

They've played a marketing blinder though. If Blur had done this, would you be saying the same thing about them right now? If you can point to any of their material that broke the mould I'd change my mind. But we both know they didn't actually change the musical landscape in any way like some of their predecessors did. Not seminal. 

Disagree completely, Oasis did change the landscape.

20 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

That's because you're trying to redefine what seminal means. It is not the same as influential.