Oasis

chew the fat

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Yeah true, I guess I was more coming from the angle that by not allowing them to sell out in minutes (which traditionally they would have), but this whole drawn out saga for hours, essentially created hundreds of thousands of people waiting in a queue, who purchased tickets at these inflated prices if they were ‘lucky’ enough to get through, as they felt they had no option to and had to decide in a split second. Whereas with more time and rationale, they may have realised that £350+ for general admission is crazy money. 
So they get people to purchase at these prices because of the queue they have themselves controlled. 

I really would like to know exactly how many got put onto surge pricing. I know someone who got through to Ticketmaster at 2.30 and got 4 face value tickets for the first Manchester date, so 5 and a half hours of trying.

One consequence of the time it took to sell out is that persistence paid off. Obviously some people had to do other things, but also there will be plenty who gave up

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Turns out the real problem was that they should have been more expensive in the first place.

1212146768_Screenshot_20240902_094525_BBCNews.thumb.jpg.f132d0385e423c80b2aa15a667d16272.jpg

Acknowledging the poster's good joke - "the real problem was that they should have been more expensive in the first place" 🙂 - Isn't this explanation from a supposed expect speaking on the BBC obviously incorrect?  It's nothing to do with the number of people in a queue.  It's just that as inventory decreases, the price rises?  There could be 1000 folk left in the queue but they will still charge the higher price for the last 20% or 25% of tickets.

Edited by Johndenis

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Well £150 is below market value as showed by the sale. The band are maximising income just in the same way footballers or actors do. I know people don’t like to look at this way but it’s a business deal between the act and the public.

There is a big divorce bill to be paid off and if people are willing to pay that off in exchange for singing wonderwall in Heaton park with like minded people and the social media buzz that having “must have tickets” bring, then maybe we just accept it’s an arrangement that works for everyone involved.

Pick a price and stick with it like everyone else does is my take.

If your going to say its £150 then stick with it

If you want to charge £300 then own it and don't do it on the sly

----

Should the warmup shows be £1,000 because they will sell out instantly?

Edited by gfa

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Which is exactly how airline tickets have been sold for years - but the government and customers and celebreties never got annoyed about that!

I think the big difference is people see the airline and hotel as a faceless business. The band is still a business but they have a face and fans often forget they are business.

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Which is exactly how airline tickets have been sold for years - but the government and customers and celebreties never got annoyed about that!

People get annoyed at air fares changing all the time - but it is of course accepted.

Let's not let gig tickets get to that point. Once in a lifetime events that you can't just go to next week/month/year like your holiday to Spain or whatever.

Its not that shocking people hold 'working class' heroes oasis to a higher standard than faceless corporations like Travelodge and EasyJet!

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Pick a price and stick with it like everyone else does is my take.

If your going to say its £150 then stick with it

If you want to charge £300 then own it and don't do it on the sly

----

Should the warmup shows be £1,000 because they will sell out instantly?

That would be my preferred system as well. I think however the current system is the one that allows the band to make the profit they want and let the fans pretend it’s not about the money and blame the ticket agency. I think despite all the moaning a lot of fans prefer a system where they can pretend that their heroes are all about the fans.

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

That would be my preferred system as well. I think however the current system is the one that allows the band to make the profit they want and let the fans pretend it’s not about the money and blame the ticket agency. I think despite all the moaning a lot of fans prefer a system where they can pretend that their heroes are all about the fans.

All smoke and mirrors innit, companies owned by companies owned by companies. etc 

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

People get annoyed at air fares changing all the time - but it is of course accepted.

Let's not let gig tickets get to that point. Once in a lifetime events that you can't just go to next week/month/year like your holiday to Spain or whatever.

Its not that shocking people hold 'working class' heroes oasis to a higher standard than faceless corporations like Travelodge and EasyJet!

Many people have to fly for other reasons and often at very short notice for family illness or deaths - when they book late the prices are far far higher than those who are able to book early for their holiday. That is in every way as wrong as what TM and the bands/promotors do so if it is under question in one scenario then it really should be looked at where ever it is used.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Many people have to fly for other reasons and often at very short notice for family illness or deaths - when they book late the prices are far far higher than those who are able to book early for their holiday. That is in every way as wrong as what TM and the bands/promotors do so if it is under question in one scenario then it really should be looked at where ever it is used.

All gig going is leisure

A large amount of flying is not leisure (although a lot paid by business i'm sure)

Gigs are also controlled within one country - far easier to legislate against than foreign airlines

I don't understand why its so controversial to stop things like outrageous fees, own-brand touting etc

• Upvote 1

Just now, Soleili said:

Some tickets on Twickets for Wembley + Cardiff. £500 each!

Given how slow these surge tickets are going i've got a feeling close to the show twickets is going to be chock full of them

6 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

How is that wrong? Should we make all flight prices from A to B the same price regardless of the time of the year? No, that would be ludicrous. No one complains when their flights are 10 quid cause it is away from peak season. You would need to increase the fares of the cheap flights to compensate.

4 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

All smoke and mirrors innit, companies owned by companies owned by companies. etc 

I think a lot of fans would prefer to live in ignorance. They deep down accept that the band wants to make as much money as possible, but they don’t want them to come out and admit it and happy for a situation where they can blame an organisation that they have no relationship with who can’t let them down.

I would happily get rid of dynamic pricing but it wouldn’t have solved the problem here of demand massively outstripping supply. I therefore think Oasis would have made the same money off the fans but just in a different way.

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

All gig going is leisure

A large amount of flying is not leisure (although a lot paid by business i'm sure)

Gigs are also controlled within one country - far easier to legislate against than foreign airlines

I don't understand why its so controversial to stop things like outrageous fees, own-brand touting etc

How do you define outrageous? Footballer and movie stars are allowed to maximise income based on demand , why shouldn’t rockstars be allowed to do the same?

12 minutes ago, gfa said:

Given how slow these surge tickets are going i've got a feeling close to the show twickets is going to be chock full of them

It's often hard to see if they are selling.  They might be visibly for sale, but if you try and buy them it often says they're in someone else's basket.

12 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think a lot of fans would prefer to live in ignorance. They deep down accept that the band wants to make as much money as possible, but they don’t want them to come out and admit it and happy for a situation where they can blame an organisation that they have no relationship with who can’t let them down.

I would happily get rid of dynamic pricing but it wouldn’t have solved the problem here of demand massively outstripping supply. I therefore think Oasis would have made the same money off the fans but just in a different way.

Everyone knows its just as much Oasis's fault (more infact really) that the prices are like this. Its all over the news and has been for the past 2 days.

For years artists have put dates on sale knowing they will sell out at the price they go onsale at and had no issue with it.

If they want more money perhaps they should get off their arses and do more than 14 dates?

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

How do you define outrageous? Footballer and movie stars are allowed to maximise income based on demand , why shouldn’t rockstars be allowed to do the same?

added, not outrageous - just meant the fees ticketmaster etc charge

Just now, doogie said:

It's often hard to see if they are selling.  They might be visibly for sale, but if you try and buy them it often says they're in someone else's basket.

It seems relatively slow considering the demand on Saturday is my take, time will tell.

Not sure the market can support 1000s of twickets going for £350, especially given its a site that people usually go to for cheap tickets! They don't plaster adverts all over google like viagogo do

Just now, doogie said:

@pink_triangle what are "surge tickets"?  My instinct is that there are too many dates and, come the gigs next year, there will be loads of spares going with folk unable to overcome agoraphobia, having to actually go out and do something, general remorse at having spent hundreds of pounds etc. 

As an aside, I saw someone say they will do 90 mins vs Taylor's 3?  I've no idea what their stamina was like pre-break up but surely they will do 2 and a half hours to 3? 

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I really would like to know exactly how many got put onto surge pricing. I know someone who got through to Ticketmaster at 2.30 and got 4 face value tickets for the first Manchester date, so 5 and a half hours of trying.

One consequence of the time it took to sell out is that persistence paid off. Obviously some people had to do other things, but also there will be plenty who gave up

My Wife mentioned at mid day ish that one of her friends had said about prices doubling.

So glad I wasn't bothered about going.

23 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Yes, that’s my thoughts too.

Friends managed to bag us tickets in the pre-sale, which, although a shame to those who missed out, seemed to be really well organised. Demand for the main sale was massive. Queue was a bit of an enigma at first but was okay. Thought I was in with a shout (was trying for others) but alas no. The only tickets that were left were the surge pricing ones and the hospitality packages - beyond what any of my mates could afford. It's a rubbish way to sell tickets for fans as it makes you realise that you're just seen as a way to make money, rather than paying a 'fair' price for a face value ticket. £148 down and I'm already on a beans on toast diet for the rest of the month. I certainly couldn't have stretched to £350+ and doubt many others could have done. Hardly the kind of money you find down the back of the settee.

I don't know how comparable this is, but I was watching the secondary market for the UK leg of the Eras tour quite closely.

Very few tickets went up on Twickets, while Stubhub and Viagogo had hundreds for sale at any given time.  The vast majority of these sold on the day of each concert, generally for between £500 (for restricted view) and £1200 each.  There were absolutely no bargains to be had.