Oasis

chew the fat

8 hours ago, Furq said:

Yeah, they had to make a very difficult choice between making absolute shed-loads of money.... or boat-loads of money.

Ticketmaster offers artists that option - and Oasis (management) took it.

Anyway, folk might find this interesting...

Oasis, so-called ‘dynamic pricing’ and how Ticketmaster’s two-tier ticketing system ACTUALLY works

what have I been saying for the last week lol. Thats how it works for you lot. There is an algorithm at work but again, its set differently then it is in north america.

just today. Linkin Park has announced their comeback. Guess whats happening in the u.s. Now somebody check whats gonna happen with The O2 date they have for sale. Will it kick in or wont it. Axs does sales for them right? Itll be there for sure

IMG_3221.jpeg

Edited by Suprefan

7 hours ago, Suprefan said:

what have I been saying for the last week lol. Thats how it works for you lot. There is an algorithm at work but again, its set differently then it is in north america.

just today. Linkin Park has announced their comeback. Guess whats happening in the u.s. Now somebody check whats gonna happen with The O2 date they have for sale. Will it kick in or wont it. Axs does sales for them right? Itll be there for sure

IMG_3221.jpeg

Yeah, it's AXS that do the tickets. I go to the O2 a lot and almost every show has platinum tickets for seating. That's why I think a lot of people buying Oasis tickets are not regular gig goers or they would be well aware of the practice. However, I think the fact that it was also standing that shot up may have been a surprise. I don't recall seeing many if any platinum standing before but then again I am old and more often than not look for seats for big shows.

9 hours ago, JA_Watts said:

You’re not the only one. I’ve been in a correspondence with them since before the initial ballot sale date as I too was identified as a bot.

They said they had evidence of suspicious activity on my account/IP, which is funny because I bought Fontaines D.C. tix about a fortnight prior with no issues whatsoever.

I requested the evidence of this suspicious activity and despite receiving no response, I can now access TM events again; including the long since sold out Oasis dates…

This is the first time I’ve ever had a serious issue with TM. I’m going to try and avoid them wherever possible moving forward. 

I was trying to use my account to buy other tickets on Wed and Thursday and I wasn't able to.  Getting cheesed off with it

17 hours ago, Furq said:

Yeah, they had to make a very difficult choice between making absolute shed-loads of money.... or boat-loads of money.

Ticketmaster offers artists that option - and Oasis (management) took it.

No, at the point Ticketmaster got involved they had already decided on shed loads of money. TM would have given them options based on the revenue figure they wanted. Along the lines of "base price £180, no platinum pricing, or base price £150 with platinum up to £350".

They deliver the promoter pricing strategies based on the money the promoter tells them they want to end up with. (For gigs like this which are basically guaranteed sellouts anyway)

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I was trying to use my account to buy other tickets on Wed and Thursday and I wasn't able to.  Getting cheesed off with it

Same for me on the app & chrome on my phone.

If I use a different browser (samsung internet rather than chrome)  - I can log in no issues.

As much as the entire reunion is nothing but a huge cash-grab from the Gallagher brothers, they are being thrown under the bus a bit in some of the online narrative, as if they have schemed the pricing model themselves - a pricing strategy which has been in place for most major world tours for years now.

There is a long list of artists whose tours have used dynamic pricing in recent times - Harry Styles, The Smile, Dua Lipa, Coldplay, Olivia Rodrigo, Paul McCartney, Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Stevie Nicks, Bruce Springsteen, P!nk, Sabrina Carpenter, The 1975, Charli XCX to name a few. Although there are some exceptions, major artists themselves would typically not be very involved in this level of decision, unless they proactively choose to be. They pay their artist management and/or talent agency in form of commission to agree these details with the promoter (based on the £x they need to generate for artist team, venue, middlemen, marketing etc) - the examples of Crowded House and Robert Smith both align with that. 

Artists hold some accountability for their ignorance in the matter, but I don't think it's right to point the finger away from Live Nation (as promoter) and Ticketmaster (as service provider). Ticketmaster can cry all they want that the booking teams are the ones at fault for agreeing to it, but TM & the wider Live Nation monopoly are the ones who introduced this ridiculous pricing model to their service, and continuously sell it into artists' teams as part of a wider tour strategy, exclusively for high-demand tours (note that no other ticket service did this for the Oasis sale).

I suspect we'll see a long list of artists heroically (and publicly) declining dynamic pricing from now on after the uproar this is calling.

Edited by sildante
correct thread
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dales said:

Yeah, it's AXS that do the tickets. I go to the O2 a lot and almost every show has platinum tickets for seating. That's why I think a lot of people buying Oasis tickets are not regular gig goers or they would be well aware of the practice. However, I think the fact that it was also standing that shot up may have been a surprise. I don't recall seeing many if any platinum standing before but then again I am old and more often than not look for seats for big shows.

Most definitely.  Heard more people saying they want tickets that have not been to a gig for years.  I go to many gigs and find it all very bizarre that they would choose this glorified tribute act !!   A women at work asked me what the process was to buy a ticket for a gig as had not been to one for 20 years !!

52 minutes ago, sildante said:

As much as the entire reunion is nothing but a huge cash-grab from the Gallagher brothers, they are being thrown under the bus a bit in some of the online narrative, as if they have schemed the pricing model themselves - a pricing strategy which has been in place for most major world tours for years now.

There is a long list of artists whose tours have used dynamic pricing in recent times - Harry Styles, The Smile, Dua Lipa, Coldplay, Olivia Rodrigo, Paul McCartney, Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Stevie Nicks, Bruce Springsteen, P!nk, Sabrina Carpenter, The 1975, Charli XCX to name a few. Although there are some exceptions, major artists themselves would typically not be very involved in this level of decision, unless they proactively choose to be. They pay their artist management and/or talent agency in form of commission to agree these details with the promoter (based on the £x they need to generate for artist team, venue, middlemen, marketing etc) - the examples of Crowded House and Robert Smith both align with that. 

Artists hold some accountability for their ignorance in the matter, but I don't think it's right to point the finger away from Live Nation (as promoter) and Ticketmaster (as service provider). Ticketmaster can cry all they want that the booking teams are the ones at fault for agreeing to it, but TM & the wider Live Nation monopoly are the ones who introduced this ridiculous pricing model to their service, and continuously sell it into artists' teams as part of a wider tour strategy, exclusively for high-demand tours (note that no other ticket service did this for the Oasis sale).

I suspect we'll see a long list of artists heroically (and publicly) declining dynamic pricing from now on after the uproar this is calling.

Yes, cause for some optimism, or they may compensate by further increasing the set ticket prices? 

Agree the fault lies across the music industry and artists, and it’s also made worse by much reduced revenue to be had from recorded music. No idea how it could be resolved but it’s one of the symptoms. 

3 hours ago, Dales said:

I've seen the dynamic pricing for standing but that was just a month before the concert and G&T had original pricing left. I think in this case it probably seems more palatable because those paying higher prices might concede that it's their fault they left things to the last minute. Perhaps in those cases it is more akin to the tiered prices at festivals. Nobody buying Oasis tickets left it too late and it was very difficult getting onto G&T so it stings more to be met with higher prices on the same day. It was to be expected that it would sell out immediately though, I'm surprised the internet didn't break altogether tbh. 

3 hours ago, Dales said:

AXS and Ticketmaster both have price gouging operations. And it's very much for standing tickets too.

Both issues covered in this Medium article, in fact.

(You're right - it's weird that so many are only cottoning on to this now)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Narnia said:

Had they previously locked him out of his account? lol

I imagine some PR/media team took over oasis and the Gallagher brothers social media for the last 2 weeks. During the reading and Leeds weekend Liam tweeted a fan telling them to keep their eyes out on a Tuesday which ended up being the announcement haha

36 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Yes, cause for some optimism, or they may compensate by further increasing the set ticket prices? 

Yeah it'll just be that. Would there really have been this uproar if regular tickets were £180 rather than £150? Would it have caused the shows not to sell out?

Likewise if the promoter and band took far less money and tickets were only £70 with £300 premium tickets, we'd see the same anger.

So then the question is what's actually best for fans? Having more tickets available at a slightly higher price, or having fewer tickets available at a lower price with a bunch of premium tickets. I honestly don't have an answer to that. I like the idea of a fair fixed price, but also like the idea of gigs being as accessible as possible to more people.

29 minutes ago, lukecork said:

I imagine some PR/media team took over oasis and the Gallagher brothers social media for the last 2 weeks. During the reading and Leeds weekend Liam tweeted a fan telling them to keep their eyes out on a Tuesday which ended up being the announcement haha

Yes and they probably changed the passwords lol. They still have the two Wembley date sales to sort! 

1 hour ago, Furq said:

AXS and Ticketmaster both have price gouging operations. And it's very much for standing tickets too.

Nice article. This is a similar one and has probably already been posted but I've just seen it. It delves a lot deeper into the make up of the companies running the majority of the UK music events and makes a bit of a mockery of Ticketmaster's claim that it is the 'promoter' that sets the prices...

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crmw0l30vk0o

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Suprefan said:

let me tell you about $100 usd to park a car is normal in the u.s.

classic suprefan comment this

'£40 is fine as its 100$ in the us'

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah it'll just be that. Would there really have been this uproar if regular tickets were £180 rather than £150? Would it have caused the shows not to sell out?

Likewise if the promoter and band took far less money and tickets were only £70 with £300 premium tickets, we'd see the same anger.

So then the question is what's actually best for fans? Having more tickets available at a slightly higher price, or having fewer tickets available at a lower price with a bunch of premium tickets. I honestly don't have an answer to that. I like the idea of a fair fixed price, but also like the idea of gigs being as accessible as possible to more people.

150 was my absolute limit. They are simply not worth 180. The 150 is debatable.

15 minutes ago, Superscally said:

150 was my absolute limit. They are simply not worth 180. The 150 is debatable.

There will always be people at the limit though, regardless of the what the price is. You can always drop the price by 20% by selling premium tickets at a massive markup. 

3 hours ago, Furq said:

Great article and with absolutely the right opinion on it.

The amount of people who try and defend it or dismiss it on here  and on social media… I just find it staggering really.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Nice article.

8 hours ago, Dales said:

Thats a really good read.

5 hours ago, Badlands said:

Great article and with absolutely the right opinion on it.

The amount of people who try and defend it or dismiss it on here  and on social media… I just find it staggering really.

Thanks all. Appreciated.

I wrote another, related article too: Oasis, so-called ‘dynamic pricing’ and how Ticketmaster’s two-tier ticketing system ACTUALLY works

• Like 1