2024 EOTR - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

killyourtv

Eleventh EotR for me. Tremendous as ever. I'm there every year with such great people that it can hardly not be, but nonetheless the festival did everything possible to help.

Musically, Mermaid Chunky stole the show, but fine sets also from Richard Dawson, Senyawa, Sextile, Julia Jacklin, Debby Friday, Ichiko Aoba (Piano Stage), Slift, Water From Your Eyes, MC Yallah, Snõõper, and probably some others I've forgotten. (I'm still missing something with CMAT though.)

Bad and ugly - nothing worth griping about.

I generally enjoyed all the music, with some wonderful sets! esp Bonnie prince billy, CMAT, Cornelius, Sprints, Hawley, English Teacher, Slift, Phosphorescent, Curtis Harding and Orchestra for now

Really didn't enjoy Yo la tengo, mermaid chunky and Sleater Kinney though. Outlier on those lol

13th time and loved it as much as any year before. Feel incredibly privileged and lucky to be able to go and experience a complete labour of love from Simon and the team. Thankyou.

Good: pretty much everything musically, with a number of exceptional sets. Top 5 (no order): Julia Jacklin, IDLES (I know, I know, but whatever you think of them Michael Hann reviewed them as a 'juggernaut', and as a first timer seeing them live WHAT a mosh); Deary; Dawn Landes on the TH stage; Floating Points. Props to King Hannah for staying cool despite their technicals.

Also very good, the site artwork installs and the care in the site set up, there is always an incredible amount of love in all you see, although someone did mention about whether it was an omission or design to not colour in the Folly stage backdrop.

Bad: agree most posts before tw*tty chatters getting steadily worse & sometimes aggressive / snarky with it (and as an old 'un myself also agree its often over 30s/40s that were the worst culprits) and the sometimes Ben Hur nature of the of kiddy trucks and carts.

Nothing Ugly for me, but 'do better' would be: get women's urinals sorted (not difficult) get the heat in the big top sorted (probably trickier given sound), consider carefully how you curate the Thursday / stages given everyone seems to arrive that day now and many people want something lively rather than glacial that day.

EarlyBirds bagged. Never, ever missing this festival (touch wood)

On 9/4/2024 at 5:10 PM, Chip Batch said:

Last add to 'good': Holiday Ghosts, the craft bar selection had nice IPAs and sours, new folly tent was more interesting. 

PS. Bring back Luardo's! 

I'd hate to see what the old folly tent was like. Worst part of the festival for me. They need to either make it bigger or close entry after a certain stage time.

I like to stay back in crowds, so during Wine Lips and Palehound this meant a constant barrage of arseholes on their rounds of the last ten minutes of every set that seemed to happen all festival.

The craft beer bar was absolutely incredible and one of the best things I've seen at any festival. The fact that Glastonbury are slaves to Carlsberg is a bit of a disgrace when the UK is in a golden age of beer.

23 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I'd hate to see what the old folly tent was like. Worst part of the festival for me. They need to either make it bigger or close entry after a certain stage time.

I like to stay back in crowds, so during Wine Lips and Palehound this meant a constant barrage of arseholes on their rounds of the last ten minutes of every set that seemed to happen all festival.

The craft beer bar was absolutely incredible and one of the best things I've seen at any festival. The fact that Glastonbury are slaves to Carlsberg is a bit of a disgrace when the UK is in a golden age of beer.

There is excellent beer to be found at the Cockmill Inn, which is the bar next to the acoustic tent. 
I'm sure a similar offering in The Park would do well, and IIRC the Avalon Inn used to carry a few good ones.

7 hours ago, Dark Star said:

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/24/end-road-2024-the-review.shtml

Good to know Mdou Moctar was a nice warm up for Idles! 

The review in question, and therefore the embarrassing error, is mine. Not least as it undermines the integrity of the report I think you're entitled to an explanation. 

Not only did I not see the act in question, I never have done, and the offending sentence is a quote from the program, which intrigued me. Its inclusion was intended to introduce the idea that several acts dropped out, but that this sometimes made for pleasant surprises. A case in point was this one - I was there and was looking forward to being warmed up by them - when I found myself confronted by nutty Mr Plume, who I really enjoyed and would never have otherwise turned up for. 

In my haste drafting the review the sentence got mangled and the thought got lost and apologies are due. The review has been changed and while I am indeed scarlet, as one person put it, I do appreciate being given the chance to correct it.

I do stand by my comment regarding chatting to people, however, which someone else mentioned. The absurdity of doing so when the headliner was on was intended as self-deprecating humour but also as a way of getting across what I feel sets the festival apart. Friendly people setting their plans aside to reach out to other people.

In any event, I hope you found the review otherwise fairly represented a personal perspective on the festival, even if your experience was different.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

The review in question, and therefore the embarrassing error, is mine. Not least as it undermines the integrity of the report I think you're entitled to an explanation. 

Fair enough. It did seem a bit weird as much of the rest of it read as being clearly genuine.

(You still have Mermaid Chunky's name wrong, though I'm now pondering whether Chunky Mermaid would have made a better or worse band name.)

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Fair enough. It did seem a bit weird as much of the rest of it read as being clearly genuine.

(You still have Mermaid Chunky's name wrong, though I'm now pondering whether Chunky Mermaid would have made a better or worse band name.)

Chunky Mermaid is their remix project

44 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Oh blimey I'm not doing well. I can't even pretend they were new to me as I saw them at Green Man a fortnight ago.

I claim festival fatigue and ask for half a dozen as yet undiscovered errors to be taken into account

1 hour ago, sparkythetortoise said:

Not only did I not see the act in question, I never have done, and the offending sentence is a quote from the program, which intrigued me. Its inclusion was intended to introduce the idea that several acts dropped out, but that this sometimes made for pleasant surprises. A case in point was this one - I was there and was looking forward to being warmed up by them - when I found myself confronted by nutty Mr Plume, who I really enjoyed and would never have otherwise turned up for. 

In my haste drafting the review the sentence got mangled and the thought got lost and apologies are due. The review has been changed and while I am indeed scarlet, as one person put it, I do appreciate being given the chance to correct it.

I do stand by my comment regarding chatting to people, however, which someone else mentioned. The absurdity of doing so when the headliner was on was intended as self-deprecating humour but also as a way of getting across what I feel sets the festival apart. Friendly people setting their plans aside to reach out to other people.

In any event, I hope you found the review otherwise fairly represented a personal perspective on the festival, even if your experience was different.

Ha! Fair play for holding your hand up.  Consider the 'scarlet' comment stricken from the record. Enjoyed the rest of the review.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, riverlodge said:

ps oh yeah, as mentioned on one fb group, who knew festival 'footie' scarves were a thing?

I thought they were English Teacher scarves, thought I saw Lily wearing one at the EOTR Christmas gig, but could be wrong. Spotted more of those scarves than Idles T-shirts !

13 hours ago, Neville Street said:

There used to be, but for the last 5 festivals or so it’s been barely any different ales to any other bars 

I've been since 2008 and all they offer is warm ale

EOTR had some of the best UK breweries on offer, with loads of different styles (stouts, IPAs, sours etc.) and a new board every day. Miles ahead of other festivals 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I've been since 2008 and all they offer is warm ale

EOTR had some of the best UK breweries on offer, with loads of different styles (stouts, IPAs, sours etc.) and a new board every day. Miles ahead of other festivals 

Barring (sorry, no pun intended) Green Man with the Courtyard real ale festival?