Latitude with kiddies

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

On 9/4/2024 at 7:51 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Apologies if there's already a thread about this topic, but what's it like for families? We're looking for a festival that's smaller and easier to manage than Glastonbury and we thought about Latitude as an alternative.

On 9/4/2024 at 7:51 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Apologies if there's already a thread about this topic, but what's it like for families? We're looking for a festival that's smaller and easier to manage than Glastonbury and we thought about Latitude as an alternative.

It certainly easier to manage than Glastonbury. About 10 minutes from car to ticket desk (depending on where you get parked) and 15-20 minutes to typically where you would camp. That makes it easier for return trips to the car. I’ve never stayed on the family camping bit but it’s getting bigger, I believe. From camp to arenas etc is a bit of a haul, but closer than Glastonbury. It’s a very friendly festival with lots to see and do as well as music. Only issue for me is they don’t let you take your own alcohol into the arenas and the choice of beer isn’t great but last time I went had improved. The areas themselves are fairly close together and it’s quite flat, with lots of pretty areas to explore. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mambonumberfive said:

It certainly easier to manage than Glastonbury. About 10 minutes from car to ticket desk (depending on where you get parked) and 15-20 minutes to typically where you would camp. That makes it easier for return trips to the car. I’ve never stayed on the family camping bit but it’s getting bigger, I believe. From camp to arenas etc is a bit of a haul, but closer than Glastonbury. It’s a very friendly festival with lots to see and do as well as music. Only issue for me is they don’t let you take your own alcohol into the arenas and the choice of beer isn’t great but last time I went had improved. The areas themselves are fairly close together and it’s quite flat, with lots of pretty areas to explore. 

Thanks for the insight. I've considered Latitude before and the line-ups do seem a bit hit or miss for my taste, but the site looks wonderful.

As for the alcohol thing, it wouldn't be so much of a drama because as I'd be with two young kids, I wouldn't be drinking like a fish anyway, haha.

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Thanks for the insight. I've considered Latitude before and the line-ups do seem a bit hit or miss for my taste, but the site looks wonderful.

As for the alcohol thing, it wouldn't be so much of a drama because as I'd be with two young kids, I wouldn't be drinking like a fish anyway, haha.

Yes get what you mean about the line up. It’s a bit far for me to travel to see half a dozen bands. On the other hand the proximity of stages means you can get a lot in if it’s a good year. Re alcohol - kids make great mules 😉 unless they can talk of course! 

10 hours ago, Mambonumberfive said:

Yes get what you mean about the line up. It’s a bit far for me to travel to see half a dozen bands. On the other hand the proximity of stages means you can get a lot in if it’s a good year. Re alcohol - kids make great mules 😉 unless they can talk of course! 

Haha, can imagine all the dads living out their inner Heisenberg as they get past the security, "We're safe now".

I think it's fantastic for families.

Dynamic has changed a lot now late-teens and 20-somethings are... discouraged.

The (excellent) dedicated family camping is relatively close to the arena.

I've done several with kids inc the Camp Bestivals, Bluedot etc etc (plus many Glastonburys without them) and I think Latitude this year was absolutely favourite. The weather helped, mind!

I went to my first Latitude this year, took a 9 year old and 15 year old. It is certainly very family/kids friendly, and felt very safe and well-organised on that front.

I was disappointed with the kids area and activities available for young kids, there just isn't that much variety in the arena to keep the youngsters occupied for the whole 4 days. Not with the amount of families with kids, anyway. Lots of activities ended up over-subscribed or with huge queues (the climbing nets in the woods in particular, that always had massive queues and then only get 10 minutes turn on it before chased off for the next batch of kids to come through). Might be unfair to compare it to Glastonbury Kidz Field/Green Kids, but the kids provision is miles behind that.

That said, my 9 year old still had a great time and enjoyed the festival. One thing Latitude had that Glastonbury doesn't; dodgems! Located in the family camping next to arena entrance. £5 a go, though, but my youngest loved it and had a go on the way in and way out of the arena every day...

Toilets and showers in family camping had huge queues in the morning, but if you elect to wash the kids before 7am or after mid-afternoon, that solves that problem.

On 9/8/2024 at 10:39 AM, dirtysteve said:

I went to my first Latitude this year, took a 9 year old and 15 year old. It is certainly very family/kids friendly, and felt very safe and well-organised on that front.

I was disappointed with the kids area and activities available for young kids, there just isn't that much variety in the arena to keep the youngsters occupied for the whole 4 days. Not with the amount of families with kids, anyway. Lots of activities ended up over-subscribed or with huge queues (the climbing nets in the woods in particular, that always had massive queues and then only get 10 minutes turn on it before chased off for the next batch of kids to come through). Might be unfair to compare it to Glastonbury Kidz Field/Green Kids, but the kids provision is miles behind that.

That said, my 9 year old still had a great time and enjoyed the festival. One thing Latitude had that Glastonbury doesn't; dodgems! Located in the family camping next to arena entrance. £5 a go, though, but my youngest loved it and had a go on the way in and way out of the arena every day...

Toilets and showers in family camping had huge queues in the morning, but if you elect to wash the kids before 7am or after mid-afternoon, that solves that problem.

My friend took her son a few years ago and that was pretty much her feelings about the place. I remember her saying she thought Womad was more kid friendly just in general, without having to stick them in a dedicated kids area (although Womad does have those areas she meant just n the wider festival it was more kid friendly