Bob Dylan thread

sifi

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they would be wonderful melodies.

if he could sing in tune.

Dylan is a wonderful poet. a less wonderful songwriter.

give me Cohen any day.

Hmm...can/should the value of a songwriter be reduced to purely musical aspects?

Edited by rfs

Hmm...can/should the value of a songwriter be reduced to purely musical aspects?

of course.

they write songs. not poems.

i'd much rather listen to say, Ben Chasney or Richard Youngs, than Dylan, because musically I find him incredibly inventive.

also I don't think Dylan has a good command of space in his songwriting. these always feel cramped. and syllable heavy.

which for someone who is into totalism, isn't really my thing.

not enough to judge him, yet you do so in the very next sentence?

so basically, youve only heard about, not actually heard the judy garland concert. and im assuming the only songs you might have heard are hallelujah and across the universe. none of which have anything to do with his song writing.

have a listen to greek song, i dont know what it is, and between my legs to get an example of why he's such an amazing songwriter.

I've listened to that now, and some of his other material.

How you can compare him to Dylan is beyond me. He's mediocre, a shadow of Dylan, nothing like him, his lyrics are cumbersome and his songs at best cliched. Stop wasting both my time and money.

Edited by sifimaster

So, any favourite Dylan lyrics out there?

I love the start of "Never Say Goodbye"

"Twilight on the frozen lake

North wind about to break

On footprints in the snow

Silence down below"

Very simple, I know, nothing like "The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face" but lovely nonetheless.

I've listened to that now, and some of his other material.

How you can compare him to Dylan is beyond me. He's mediocre, a shadow of Dylan, nothing like him, his lyrics are cumbersome and his songs at best cliched. Stop wasting both my time and money.

did i compare them musically?

i said i thought he was a better songwriter than dylan. his music does so much more for me and is far more interesting and meaningful for me.

no need to think the sun shines out your arse and that my opinion means nothing just cos youre siding with the person with legendary status and i think a less spoke about person is better.

did i compare them musically?

i said i thought he was a better songwriter than dylan. his music does so much more for me and is far more interesting and meaningful for me.

no need to think the sun shines out your arse and that my opinion means nothing just cos youre siding with the person with legendary status and i think a less spoke about person is better.

You say aren't comparing them musically but then write "he is a better songwriter".

Isn't song-writing kinda a rather significant part of being a musician?

I'm not worried about status or whether or not the man is a legend to others. I'm judging him on his work. A body of work which speaks for itself. And your man rather pails into insignificance next to him. I'm sorry. Rufus covers Judy Garland. Jimi Hendrix covers Bob Dylan.

Didn't Dylan invent modern Rock with Like A Rolling Stone?

I know the Beatles heard it and changed the way they wrote songs. It was one of the first singles to be over five minutes long, and re-wrote the rule book.

Edited by sifimaster

Come you masters of war

You that build all the guns

You that build the death planes

You that build the big bombs

You that hide behind walls

You that hide behind desks

I just want you to know

I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'

But build to destroy

You play with my world

Like it's your little toy

You put a gun in my hand

And you hide from my eyes

And you turn and run farther

When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old

You lie and deceive

A world war can be won

You want me to believe

But I see through your eyes

And I see through your brain

Like I see through the water

That runs down my drain

You fasten the triggers

For the others to fire

Then you set back and watch

When the death count gets higher

You hide in your mansion

As young people's blood

Flows out of their bodies

And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear

That can ever be hurled

Fear to bring children

Into the world

For threatening my baby

Unborn and unnamed

You ain't worth the blood

That runs in your veins

How much do I know

To talk out of turn

You might say that I'm young

You might say I'm unlearned

But there's one thing I know

Though I'm younger than you

Even Jesus would never

Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question

Is your money that good

Will it buy you forgiveness

Do you think that it could

I think you will find

When your death takes its toll

All the money you made

Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die

And your death'll come soon

I will follow your casket

In the pale afternoon

And I'll watch while you're lowered

Down to your deathbed

And I'll stand o'er your grave

'Til I'm sure that you're dead

You say aren't comparing them musically but then write "he is a better songwriter".

Isn't song-writing kinda a rather significant part of being a musician?

I'm not worried about status or whether or not the man is a legend to others. I'm judging him on his work. A body of work which speaks for itself. And your man rather pails into insignificance next to him. I'm sorry. Rufus covers Judy Garland. Jimi Hendrix covers Bob Dylan.

yeah i think he is a better songwriter. much like i think mozart is a better songwriter than james blunt. doesnae mean im comparing their music does it.

what you sorry for? i'm no gonna change my views or go to bed cryin cos you disagree with my musical tastes. i love rufus and i like dylan. its all good music, whats the point in arguing, just listen, enjoy and dont get all arsey about it.

oh and rufus covers lennon and cohen. and the dunblane charity fund folk cover dylan. what a shitey point that was you just made :P

what you sorry for? i'm no gonna change my views or go to bed cryin cos you disagree with my musical tastes. i love rufus and i like dylan. its all good music, whats the point in arguing, just listen, enjoy and dont get all arsey about it.

You were the one coming in here saying that Rufus was better than Bob - don't have a pop at me for arguing sunshine!

"Idiot wind, blowing through the flowers on your tomb,

Blowing through the curtains in your room.

Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth,

You're an idiot, bud.

It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe"

Edited by sifimaster

I've just purchased "Street Legal", "New Morning" and "Infidels". I've listened to a few of the tracks on various compelations and on bobdylan.com.

Some of his cyncism on Infidels should be, erm, fun. Judging by the lyrics on "Neighbourhood Bully" anyhow.

You were the one coming in here saying that Rufus was better than Bob - don't have a pop at me for arguing sunshine!

"Idiot wind, blowing through the flowers on your tomb,

Blowing through the curtains in your room.

Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth,

You're an idiot, bud.

It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe"

yeah i was stating that i think he's a better songwriter than dylan. nothin inflammatory there. nothing inviting anyone to start a debate with me.

yeah i was stating that i think he's a better songwriter than dylan. nothin inflammatory there. nothing inviting anyone to start a debate with me.

I've not heard anything that has the awe-inspiring suprise of Dylan, the way that Dylan takes risks, or describes the range of human experiences in Wainrights work. But then I've not ploughed through or studied his work in the same way I've done with Dylan. Certainly anything like

"Princess on the steeple and all the pretty people

They're drinkin', thinkin' that they got it made

Exchanging all kinds of precious gifts and things

But you'd better lift your diamond ring, you'd better pawn it babe

You used to be so amused

At Napoleon in rags and the language that he used

Go to him now, he calls you, you can't refuse

When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose

You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal"

or

"And I hope that you die

And your death'll come soon

I will follow your casket

In the pale afternoon

And I'll watch while you're lowered

Down to your deathbed

And I'll stand o'er your grave

'Til I'm sure that you're dead"

I'd love some you to post some Rufus lyrics now, to counter, please - just so I can try and get it.

Edited by sifimaster

see if you want to go down that route then id say you win everytime.

cos for me, the lyrics arent what makes rufus special. its the music and instrumentation.

i dont have the brains to be able to sit down and write something that would convert someone to a certain artist. id just let the music do the talking. or of course theres that elton john interview on the rufus documentary which is really what youre looking for, to get rufus.